Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

7 hours ago, John Gilmour said:

The drive to Brian Head Utah is about 7 hours.

ikon and epic pass holders get a discount along lift tickets about $35. Furthermore the base elevation in Brian ahead is the highest in Itah making corn snow and mashed potatoes A non issue at the bottom or simply a better ratio of packed powder to slush at the bottom .

lodging around that area is very affordable- and I am considering splitting costs near the mountain and making a carving condo. 
text me at 347-263-7238

As of 3/17 Brian Head is now closed.

I had a "top 3" day last Sunday there.  11" the day before, bluebird skys, LOW key place, a friendly local carver showed us the runs.  I want to go back.

8 hours ago, John Gilmour said:

and toBarryj in particular . The drive to Mammoth from Orange county is about six hours.

The drive to Brian Head Utah is about 7 hours.

ikon and epic pass holders get a discount along lift tickets about $35. Furthermore the base elevation in Brian ahead is the highest in Itah making corn snow and mashed potatoes A non issue at the bottom or simply a better ratio of packed powder to slush at the bottom .

lodging around that area is very affordable- and I am considering splitting costs near the mountain and making a carving condo. 
text me at 347-263-7238

John please stop!

I know it hurts but the goal shouldn't be how do we get more turns in. It shouldn't be how to circumvent the system and travel. Please be responsible and drop it!

Our goal should be to stop this pandemic. This is not a joke. Even if you don't transmit the disease you could get hurt riding and end up in the hospital taking a bed from someone else. This is irresponsible!

• Like 7

I know it sounds a bit like Nero fiddling . 
Trying to snowboard in the middle of a Sheeeeeet storm. 

Here is what China did to flatten its curve as effectively as it did. Watch the entire thing or you won’t understand what people did to get those numbers down .

It is no surprise to me that this cleared protests in Hong Kong at an oddly convenient time - and that any dissident could be picked off the street with a bogus thermometer reading and then easily infected by staff who already had the virus and now have some level of protection.

It is also odd that China is so prepared for a bioweapon attack so fast when they are probably not nearly as equipped for many other emergency situations . 

after that on YouTube you can watch the 60 minutes tv show about the virus in Hong Kong. 

Edited by John Gilmour

In the midst of this pandemic there are many sources of information. There are already a lot of conspiracy theories and misinformation. Go for authoritative information, your local health authorities, the world wide respected CDC, Centres for Disease Control.

View anything on Facebook etc which does not have an official source with caution. I haven't watched the video John has posted above. The comment is a general one, not specifically directed at the posted video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Almost everything closed. Grocery stores open, restaurants take out only, banks are open local gas is 59. cents a litre. Liquor stores open and the reason seems to be that there wouldn't be enough beds to handle the alcoholics suffering from withdrawal. Pretty surreal beer store not taking back empties due to sanitation concerns. Still some empty shelves in grocery store no spaghetti pasta, toilet paper, eggs only very large bags of flour and who wants to bake bread without eggs !  House to do list is getting longer time to head to the woods and cut some trees !  Good news is gov't has delayed income tax deadline and banks suspending mortgage payments for 6 months. Stay safe look after each other.  

The only thought that comes to me is Roy Orbison's, It's Over.  The alpine carving season, that is.

I hope, the word over, that the Covid-19 pandemic can be contained with a minimum loss of life and treasure.

A lot of people are really hurting at this time.

Stay safe and healthy! 

@Jack MWell some people were unaware of the mountain closures . So I thought at least for a week or two it should be in the most visible area.

I do think it should eventually move here .  Some ski resorts did not list closures on their main page until this morning . 

such a shame al this good snow going to waste . Realistically the lifts might be closing to protect staff which often lives In Close quarters dorm style . So anything that protects the lifties is certainly warranting a closure now we have social distancing in place .

My GF was in Eagle and I was in Aspen ( two different clusters ) so oddly I am living outside in my Tesla until I get my results from 2 days ago back . I figure my chances are about 1-2500 but that’s not a lottery I want to win . My GF s chances are likely lower . But for now it’s good practice  everything gets wiped down before t goes into the house . 

All resorts are shut down, albeit too late (one word: Ischgl). All shops except those for "daily needs" are closed, as well as schools, universities, bars, restaurants, theatres, museums ... I have been in home office the whole week and expect to stay there at least another month, probably longer.

The last ski area near me has closed.  It's small but can build shockingly-long lift lines as the lifts are slow.  Quite easy to maintain social distance.  

This place is all about extracting revenue - I can't see them closing for public health unless it affected them financially.  I suspect they weren't having enough people come to afford to keep the lights on. Glad I had a fun day there on Saturday!  

I'm beginning to hate the term social distancing. It seems to be the best advice to limit contact but at the same time can't be used to allow  a business to remain open even when for example you can keep huge distances from each other. I would include many ski hills with few people, riding stables and parks . The great exemption seems to be line ups to buy guns who is going to stop that ? Corey please don't post pictures of your last day.

22 minutes ago, lowrider said:

I'm beginning to hate the term social distancing.

I hate the term quarantine and the term lock-down even more! I'd much rather deal with social distancing than what martial law that is being enacted in Europe right now but I fear we are headed that way. Mostly because people are stupid (look at the beaches in Florida) 

Personal this time.

Found out the wife of a subcontractor on my current job has been hospitalized and tested positive for coronavirus.   Found this out this afternoon.  Had several close interactions with him yesterday, including handling 2 different sets of blueprints he had handled.  At the moment I am in a holding pattern awaiting his test results, which I should have tomorrow.  I do not have the ability to work from home at the moment, and  I, like most of us, still need to make hay while the sun is shining.

The irony of this is, I felt a  little funky in the middle of the day,  told the guy that I was leaving because I didn't want to be " corona mario".  I went home and monitored my temp for a few hours, and came back once I saw that my temp was staying low. Test results take at least 2 days.  His wifey was hospitalized today after her results came back POSITIVE.  Doing the math, Phucker knew he was putting other's at risk. He should have stayed home.

Moral of the story:

Do not expect other's to do the right thing. Protect youself.

Fingers crossed, 

Mario

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Some const. workers in Toronto are calling for workplace shut down sanitation is questionable at the best of times. Latest doctor to come forward out of frustration with situation says after two weeks without symptoms it takes two tests to confirm you are clear and won't re-infect someone. Locally test kits still seen to be in short supply and in the province only 2000 tests done per day. Doctors saying more like 5000 needed. Number with c19 still going up each day. At this point anyone you are in contact with is a risk giving it to you or you to them. Auto plants are shut down and tool and die plants are pooling resources to make respirators. Components are in short supply because every other country is trying to build as well. Stay home minimize contact with others. Crossing fingers never worked for me at exam time hope you have luck with it Mario.

3 hours ago, big mario said:

Do not expect other's to do the right thing. Protect youself.

Amen. Keeping fingers crossed that you don't have it. Shitty disease.

I'm immunosuppressed. My plan is to stay home and away from everyone. In a bunker! That being said seeing people in Florida hit the beaches or some people hitting Snowy Range makes me sick.  Your personal fun is more important than everybody else's health?

Test results seem slower than expected. After leaving Aspen, Colorado’s largest cluster of coronavirus cases. I got in my car and headed towards Mammoth because my client(s)  said they would follow. Didn’t even get halfway there before all the mountain shut down. With the exception of Brian head Utah - which is now closed as well. 

I arrived back in SoCal a four days ago and within hours I got tested . They said results could be in z48 hours even though 3-5 was the norm, now they changed that to 4-5 days. My only guess is they are processing tests from older people and people with symptoms first - so I am fine with this extended wait.

My GF WENT TO A Costco in Eagle county . So both of us have been near the virus. My feeling was leaving Pitkin county and Aspen with its population of about 2600  when I left and 13 cases made its per capital infection rate about 1 in 200. My risk is lower than most Aspen people, in that I really only went to one big IAprès ski party during the beginning of the outbreak. And even then I didn’t stay that long . So my chances are probably less than 1 in 2000 in that I was only with an American wedding party . 

Nonetheless , we both decided to try aggressive Self -quarantine if nothing else but for PRACTICE as you really only have 1 chance to totally blow it. She has a mentally handicapped so. And if both of us were to get it at the same time along with her daughter ( also a caretaker)  it would be difficult to keep him out of a group home.

So the last 4 day of Tesla camping have been extra hard with the rain . It’s Ike being in a Round trio Coast to  Coast cross country drive in the rain without the scenery. I thought of visiting the loudspeaker company I design for - but SEATTLE is a huge cluster . 

I now treat everything that I could possibly touch and everything as virus laden . Normally I wouldn’t be as concerned but after double pneumonia twice in my life , former punctured lung and a respiratory inemfect that until recently lasted over a year ... this could wipe me out. 

The TV Character Mink is now our example

The only difference is I use a  Vodka  and bleach solution  instead with a bunch of St. Regis bathroom napkins . 

So practicing EXTREME QUARANTINE has been hard- but at day 4 we have made Zero mistakes . Everything entering the house is sprayed down - all Public places are visited using a mask . I even wipe down the supercharger handles ,my steering wheel, and my phone 4 times a day. All dishes go in bleach and all laundry has at least some bleach and is dried on high.

Yesterday - the entire day was spent doing something I didn’t think I would have to do... prepare the car for summer camping from winter. Camping . . Got rid of anything for temps below 60 degrees . Changed to low altitude 2 burner stove. Both Yeti bags went to the inner trunk sub floor compartment (usually they are in the FRUNK  which lets THE YETI HOPPER  act like a refrigerator (the zipped one , and  THE YETI HOPPER 24 act like a freezer the partially zipped one when temps are below freezing  Aspen nights .   Now the SUNNY SoCal frunk would just melt ice faster. The frunk is still the make shift kitchen .Mr. Heater Big. Buddy moves to the frunk , clothes move to the rear seat. Exped Megamat duo gets a lighter comforter (The Runpl down Blanket  for two) though I might convert over to the Exed Synmat Duo ( slightly less warm and less comfortable but compact.

Thank goodness we put in an outdoor shower just in case. 

I am going to run a Costco delivery service for seniors. Spray everything with disinfectant  and put it in plastic bags and leave it on peoples doorsteps . Costco has so far the best anti germ program of the markets .

So much for my food stand at farmers markets .

Time for some  projects (electric skateboard , slalom practice , wiring up new car stereo , building outdoor tub and bathroom , adding on to Sea shed ,  design custom snowboards for customers ).

What’s disturbing is now I know a friend if a friend who has it ... and initially when he was tested he said he was negative, but then two or three days later he said he was positive. He’s showing symptoms apparently in a self-imposed  Quarantine. 

if not for the limitation of beds in ICU and ventilators I would have said the best thing would have Been to leave all bars restaurants and ski resorts open, but restrict the age to everyone under 54 That would result in rapid infection of about 75% of the people WHO WILL LEAST LIKELY  need ICU and give doctors a lot of practice in dealing with this virus using a population that doesn’t have a high mortality rate and shorter infection duration .THEIR USE OF VENTILATORS would be less and of shorter duration .Aggressively  quarantine  everyone over 54 For the first month . 

Then with 75% recovered about 1 month later older people would be less at risk of catching it and then elderly  could be assigned workers and caregivers who could no longer become contagious ( hand sanitizing still required though- but no face masks .jst as an anti vaccine person benefits from the bulk of the population being vaccinated so would the elderly .

Herd immunity is quite effective but not sure about re-infection at this time. Self quarantine is the way to go but people don't seem to be buying into it as they should. Locally people still gathering (latest was to buy video games on sale).Local numbers still increasing despite closure of businesses. Returning from holidays is the next issue so that influence will show over next two weeks .Access  to farm supplies is our next concern lambing season coming up soon. Agriculture workers are still allowed border access. That's good for future production but if Mexico doesn't wake up and address this covid19 issue US and Canada will have some severe problems in a months time. Maybe time to try some window gardening lettuce and sprouts.