Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

3 hours ago, TVR said:

Why do we treat this so different than we treat TB?...

In addition to what others have posted, the NYT article I linked above had this information: 

An intriguing new study from Germany offers a glimpse into how SARS-CoV-2 affects the heart. Researchers studied 100 individuals, with a median age of just 49, who had recovered from Covid-19. Most were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms.

An average of two months after they received the diagnosis, the researchers performed M.R.I. scans of their hearts and made some alarming discoveries: Nearly 80 percent had persistent abnormalities and 60 percent had evidence of myocarditis. The degree of myocarditis was not explained by the severity of the initial illness.

So a majority of Covid patients have permanent damage to their heart. Hard pass, do not want. I may have another 20 somewhat good years before I get too old to do all the activities I enjoy, and I'd like to get every single one of them. 

• Like 3

"We" (first world nations) treat this different from Tuberculosis primarily because Tb is most prevalent in "other"  (3rd world) countries. That said in NZ Tb is a notifiable disease and people can be detained and compulsorily treated if it is believed they are non compliant with treatment.

Between first world nations the primary differences in how Covid has been dealt with reflect political differences between those who value the economy vs. those who value people's lives

That's as political as I'm going to get. This thread is straying into places this Forum doesn't go. 

Moderators, up to you.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Between first world nations the primary differences in how Covid has been dealt with reflect political differences between those who value the economy vs. those who value people's lives.. ..

I disagree: the difference is that some countries have competently managed the pandemic to minimize both excess deaths and economic damage. It's a matter of management, not politics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philw said:

I disagree: the difference is that some countries have competently managed the pandemic to minimize both excess deaths and economic damage. It's a matter of management, not politics.

But how it is managed, is through a political lens. "It's a matter of management, not politics." depends on which political camp you lie in. I would love to see this aspect of it stop, but it won't. 

There should be no censorship on information.

People should stop injecting their feelings when discussing the topic....

Only with the above can we progress and make this better.

• Like 1

I don't see anything out of line or need moderation.  So far the discussion are conducted in a civil and adult manner.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  This is what's missing in the real world IMHO.  People are dug into their position and refuse to budge is the problem.  I am sure I am guilty of it as we all tend to stay in our echo chamber/bubble.
There is no simple/tag line position/one size fits all solution.

Anyway; just in case If I offended anyone my apology.  Know that there are no malice in my heart.  Road to hell is build on good intention.
tone, expression, body language and the human aspect of communication are missing from online discussion.

7 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/female-led-countries-handled-coronavirus-better-study-jacinda-ardern-angela-merkel?

The article suggests that leader gender altered the balance taken between life risk vs. economy risk.

Although there has been evidence presented, I would be wary of looking to ones plumbing to be the root cause or the defining characteristic for how each handled their situation. Either we do believe leaders are defined by their actions, or we define them by their plumbing, which can then devolve into root causes for bad decisions in other areas or other subjects. 

The above fits nicely into the modern push "Women lead" throughout corporations today, but we cannot have it both ways here. If gender is a contributing factor in leading and decisions, then we should hire and promote based upon gender. This has not worked out well throughout history and will have unintended consequences if our society reverts back to this philosophy. I don't subscribe to this philosophy, as I believe ones actions and leadership is from the individual, and not defined by gender. 

22 hours ago, TVR said:

But how it is managed, is through a political lens. "It's a matter of management, not politics." depends on which political camp you lie in. I would love to see this aspect of it stop, but it won't.  ...

No. In Europe managing the pandemic is essentially a public health issue,  not subject to "party politics" in that sense. Science isn't political. A virus isn't a bacteria, even if your political beliefs make you want it to be so. Many here have been shocked at what we've seen leaders in some countries say and do.

Governments like Germany have achieved low casualties and minimal economic damage.
The UK has the highest death toll in Europe combined with the worst economic performance.
The difference isn't "politics", it's managerial competence of the respective governments.

• Like 2

howdy

my sister and husband from san diego and me was in Hawaii with family and happen to go to

the charthouse for dinner then watched the fireworks on fourth of july 2019. I haven't been there

since I was a little kid. I am lucky we ate there... history... so sad... thanks softbootsurfer...

Ok so COVID causes lung damage , kidney damage liver damage , heart damage , I suppose erectile disfunction   is next. 

The Flu causes viral or bacterial pneumonia, dehydration, and ear infections and sinus infections, especially in children. The flu can worsen long-term medical conditions, like congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes. You can also get Encephalitis (brain inflammation)and it can cause myocarditis, sepsis Guillain-Barré syndrome which is autoimmune,  deafness, blindness and meningitis. Even paralysis can occur. Not limited to associated complications with ischemic heart disease, cerebrovascular disease and late onset Parkinson’s disease.

So mask up everyone and get ready to quarantine for the rest of your life because the flu is ever mutating . There are very few strains of Coronavirus according to Bill Gates  vaccines in development should knock all of the ones we are concerned with out. Not so with the Flu. There’s new Flu every year, in fact there are 20 new strains of flu every year! Holy shit! 

How deadly is the flu? Really deadly the 1918 Spanish Flu killed 1 in 5 people globally. If the Spanish flu hit today and we had no immunity like in 1918  it would kill 1,531,200,000 that’s Big number.  It’s 1/5 of 7.656 Billion people. 

Covid-19 has killed 774,000 people world wide and cases are declining .  That’s a big number too, but I reality that “big sounding number” is about 1 in10,000. Not 1 in 5. 

But that flu , you may as well tape your doors and windows shut because it’s going to happen again . Sell you carving boards And completely give up snowboarding because you shouldn’t ever go outside again.  

IMHO I think that clod who went to Brevit Mission and dig up “fat Lucy” and took the 1918 flu to Atlanta and isolated the 7 or 8 virulent genes... I think some of that ability of those genes were emulated in Covid.  But as the researcher found out , if you messed with the secret formula and tried to make it EVEN more virulent as influenza   you just moved further away from viral devastation perfection.

Kinda like when you have the perfect flex, camber, sidecut and dampening and any change makes it work less effectively . You move away from peak intersections.

This mRNA VIRUS IS NOT DNA (DNA is redundant protected code bound in Histones) and just two passes from carrier to carrier Of Covid-19 results in visible mutations .

it will be a short time before Covids genetic formula is messed with so much through replication that a Madd 158 would ride like an Oxygen or a F2 Roadster or any average  spec’d board.

In part we become immune to flu types while they simultaneously are mutating into something which is more than likely becoming  like a shittier riding carving board than a better riding board. The odds of it getting closer to viral perfection by chance are FAR FAR FAR less.

Even if we try to help it , to weaponize it, most attempts will be worse. We can make it happen faster by doing randomness faster , but it is not easy to just add say receptor recognition and make it a more perfect virus ... with Spanish flu tests it actually weakened it.

That being said if anyone wants to buy my original Madd 170 for $5000 because they are suicidal and want to go outside during flu season let me know. I will also sell both my Madd 158s for $2500 each but I need to sell all 4 boards at once . Then I can get a vintage Aluminum travel trailer to pull from resort to resort.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 1:39 AM, SunSurfer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/female-led-countries-handled-coronavirus-better-study-jacinda-ardern-angela-merkel?

The article suggests that leader gender altered the balance taken between life risk vs. economy risk.

Define better.  Maine has a female governor who has done an excellent job controlling covid.  But at what costs?  That will never be measured.

Friendly reminder that politics and religion are not tolerated here.  It just doesn't work.  This thread seems civil but we are skating on thin ice.

Who's getting a splitboard?  Split carving board??

3 hours ago, Jack M said:

Who's getting a splitboard?  Split carving board??

Sold the splitboard, too darn heavy with the split kit.  Decided to go with short approach skis/permanent skins, 110cm and carry a lighter board without the all the hardware.  Going to use K2 Clicker bindings that are integrated on the skis and use the NOS all metal Clickers on the  board.  Have all the gear already.  BTW Burton has a backpack that will carry both a board and the skis.

The first Clicker bindings had both a 3 and 4 hole pattern, and the 4 hole only pattern can be easily modified with a die grinder.

20200111_120126.jpg

On 8/22/2020 at 10:53 AM, John Gilmour said:

Ok so COVID causes lung damage , kidney damage liver damage , heart damage , I suppose erectile disfunction   is next. 

and the possibility of male infertility?
https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/can-covid-19-cause-male-infertility/

this scene gets me every time. 🥴

In 2027, in a chaotic world in which women have become somehow infertile, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea

@TVR Re your Tuberculosis line of thought. Another possible analogy for Covid

Countries are trying to find an acceptable balance between economic activity and public health harm in their Covid containment/limitation or even elimination strategies.

There are a number of lawful products where Western societies already try to balance economic activity with public health harm.
e.g. automobiles, guns, alcohol, tobacco, etc. Each of these products can cause injury, sickness or death to the user and others.
These products sale and use are regulated to varying degrees, and have considerable research about the substantial level of societal harm each causes. Different societies accept different levels of harm, sales, and regulation, and the USA's approach to guns (few restrictions) compared with New Zealand's (many restrictions) is a very clear example of those acceptance differences.

Covid isn't a product we buy, but some economic activities will predictably lead to much greater Covid spread, sickness and death. We don't generally have a right to behave, or conduct business, in a way that causes others harm, even indirectly. Different governments are regulating in various ways that limit previously allowed activities because they judge the Covid related public health harm too great. Some simple behaviours, mask wearing, hand washing and social distancing, seem able to reduce the potential harm to others to then allow a wider range of economic activity to occur at an acceptable level of risk.

What's an acceptable balance? Different societies will find different answers, just as they have for the products listed.

I agree with the sentiment of what you are saying. I would like to add, however, that this particular hazard is specifically being politicized. When someone looks at the raw data, the numbers being given to us simply don't add up. I am not negating the potential for harm this specific disease can cause, especially where there are pre-existing underlying conditions, but I am having a difficult time accepting everything being pushed as fact about this. 

Since I posted the total deaths from ALL causes in the US link to the CDC graph (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm), that page has been edited to no longer show that information. Why, I ask. What harm can it do to look at statistics? Unfortunately, those specific statistics show the death from COVID has completely leveled, which contradicts all the lockdowns and all those looking to impose them. This specific disease is being used as a weapon to instill fear and disrupt peoples lives for political gain.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/07032020/nchs-mortality-report.html has the data as well, but it only goes back to September of 2019. This, however, is still useful to make my point. Assuming the pandemic started on January 1, on can see all deaths from any influenza type event up to week 26 total to approximately 208,500. Subtracting the number given of 176,000 deaths from COVID, this leaves 32,500 for those 26 weeks. This would mean it would average 1250 a week, which would mean we must have cured the common cold, as normally, there are at least 3500 deaths each and every week.

Now I get this is week 35 as I write this. I am not trying to say that there are no deaths or that COVID is some form of hoax. What I am saying is, given the raw numbers, what is being stated as "fact" on the numbers doesn't add up. All these states looking to either impose new lockdowns of adding new measures to "protect the public" are doing so to look effective and the primary motivation are politics. I used the example of TB for the following reason. It is a global threat, that had global scientists look into, the treatments and it, as a disease is not political, and the facts are readily available. As deadly as it is, no one felt they needed to destroy the lives of half the world through hunger and poverty, and talking about it didn't carry the stigma of putting you into a 'believers' camp, or a 'deniers' camp.