Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

Yes, read this article and some others, that are similar as well...What I see Here NOW, in Carbondale, Colorado are a significant amount of people, have decided to just ignore any protocols and just pretend it is not here... even many of our older people here, are just being lax in theirs as well...I really Blame this response on the Leadership, the fact that we have none on the scale required to inform the population, one must search out and decipher as best they can, what the Truth is...I doubt that if Milkland is open, I would be able to ride the Bus, would rather need to drive each time...

Thank You for some Valid Information Here...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

..What I see Here NOW, in Carbondale, Colorado are a significant amount of people, have decided to just ignore any protocols and just pretend it is not here... even many of our older people here, are just being lax in theirs as well...

From my observations I feel like this is the attitude in Southern California also.  

With a reservation system etc, I'm resigned to less days on the hill this year.  At this point I'm paying by the ticket, not the pass.

• Sad 1

.Mike Osterholm was MN State Epidemiologist in the nineties, and the U of M (in addition to all the other US and international bodies he is involved with). He used to be a guest on MN public radio at least once a year in the nineties. He would talk about the risk of a serious pandemic, and how totally unprepared we were. He always said, it's not a case of if, but when. He must be very frustrated that after his campaigning for more preparedness had finally seen a lot of progress, so many measures had been dropped in the last few years

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 9:44 AM, softbootsurfer said:

What I see Here NOW, in Carbondale, Colorado are a significant amount of people, have decided to just ignore any protocols and just pretend it is not here.

This is how teens here in Maine are behaving.  I assume it's the same situation elsewhere.  Trying to enforce compliance is futile, as none of their friends are complying, and then you are just the bad guy.  Even the most prude parents I know gave up months ago.  I see cars full of teens I don't know so I know it's not just my kids and their friends.

So, if you know anyone with teens, assume they are carriers.

Adults here seem to be generally compliant, although many people don't know that a mask is supposed to cover your nose. 🙄

I will also say that "remote learning" does not work for highschoolers.  Can't imagine it does for any younger grade either.  Really hope they go back in the fall.

This is heartbreaking.  Essential workers giving their lives for next to nothing and having to deal with people who think they're more important than anyone and everyone else.  If one of us gets sick, these are the people that will have deal with the mess we created.

Anthony Almojera is a New York City paramedic.

- - -

Nobody wants to know about what I do. People might pay us lip service and say we're heroes, but our stories aren't the kind anyone actually wants to hear about. Kids in this country grow up with toy firetrucks, or maybe playing cops and robbers, but who dreams of becoming a paramedic? That's ambulances. That's death and vulnerability - the scary stuff. We're taught in this culture to shun illness like it's something shameful. We'd rather pretend everything's fine. We look the other way.

That's what's happening now in New York. We just had 20,000-some people die in this city, and already the crowds are lining back up outside restaurants and jamming into bars. This virus is still out there. We respond to 911 calls for COVID every day. I've been on the scene at more than 200 of these deaths - trying to revive people, consoling their families - but you can't even be bothered to stay six feet apart and wear a mask, because why? You're a tough guy? It makes you look weak? You'd rather ignore the whole thing and pretend you're invincible?

Some of us can't stop thinking about it. I woke up this morning to about 60 new text messages from paramedics who are barely holding it together. Some are still sick with the virus. At one point we had 25% of EMTs in the city out sick. Others are living in their cars so they don't risk bringing it home to their families. They're depressed. They're emotionally exhausted. They're drinking too much. They're lashing out at their kids. They're having night terrors and panic attacks and all kinds of outbursts. I've got five paramedics in the ground from this virus already and a few more on ventilators. Another rookie EMT just died by suicide. He was having trouble coping with what he was seeing. He was a kid - 23 years old. He won't be the last. I have medics who come to me every day and say, "Is this PTSD I'm feeling?" But technically PTSD comes after the event, and we're not there yet. It's ongoing stress and trauma, and we might have months to go.

Do you know how much EMTs make in New York City? We start at $35,000. We top out at $48,000 after five years. That's nothing. That's a middle finger. It's about 40% less than fire, police and corrections - and those guys deserve what they get. But we have three times the call volume of fire. There are EMTs on my team who've been pulling double shifts in a pandemic and performing life support for 16 hours, and then they go home and they have to drive Uber to pay their rent. I'm more than 15 years on the job, and I still work two side gigs. One of my guys does part-time at a grocery store.

Heroes, right? The anger is blinding.

One thing this pandemic has made clear to me is that our country has become a joke in terms of how it disregards working people and poor people. The rampant inequality. The racism. Mistakes were made at the very top in terms of how we prepared for this virus, and we paid down here at the bottom.

It started around the middle of March when the call volume began to spike in the poorer neighborhoods. The stay-home order in New York hadn't even gone into effect at that point. Trump was telling us he had everything under control. The mayor was saying we had great health care, and we wouldn't get hit as bad as other countries, so we should keep on going to the movies. But for us, it was wheezing, trouble breathing, heart palpitations, cardiac arrest, cardiac arrest. This virus stresses out the heart in a bunch of different ways. I'd look at our dispatch screen sometimes and see 30 possible cardiac events happening at any one time across the city, mostly in the immigrant neighborhoods. It felt like watching a bomb go off in slow motion. You had time to see who was going to get hit and who had the ability to escape. I saw in Manhattan, on the East Side, people clearing out of the city to set up shop in the Hamptons or rent property upstate. The business class packed up their computers and went off to work elsewhere. Meanwhile, the rest of us were huddling with no ventilators, like fish in the barrel.

It got so quiet sometimes that all you could hear were our sirens. The most 911 calls we'd ever had was back on September 11th, and we broke that record every day for two weeks straight. My station is right in Brooklyn's Chinatown, so it's a lot of new Chinese immigrants, sometimes 10 or 12 people living in a small place. They tend not to call 911 unless it's absolutely necessary, but they were calling. One woman was apologizing for bothering us while we were trying to get a pulse back on her uncle. The Dominicans and Puerto Ricans in Sunset Park got hit hard. Sometimes those families will pray over you while you're doing CPR. The Middle Eastern neighborhoods in Bay Ridge got hit. The African American communities, where hypertension is a big thing. The nursing homes in Far Rockaway. The housing projects in East Flatbush. We weren't carrying too many stretchers into the fancy brownstones.

I'm a lieutenant and vice president of the union, so I cover a big area, and I mostly go to the big traumas. I grew up in Brooklyn, and I know every street in this city. I can whip it. Doesn't matter where the call is. I'm two minutes out. I had one guy with COVID who was talking to me in his fifth-floor apartment. He was breathing heavy, so we loaded him on the stretcher, and by the time the elevator hit the lobby, he didn't have a pulse. I went to another high-rise for an unresponsive elderly woman, and then I realize, two days before we were in the same place because her husband had dropped. Both of them died. We sometimes had 400 emergency calls sitting on hold. People were waiting hours for an ambulance on the more minor stuff. I pronounced more deaths in the first two weeks of April than I have in my career.

I got one call at the height of the madness, another cardiac arrest, and it was a Latin guy, young guy, unresponsive and passed out in a room with bunk beds. There wasn't enough space to work, so we dragged him out into the living room to start giving him CPR. This guy had no pulse. That's clinical death, but biological death doesn't come until about six minutes later. That's our window to bring you back. That's why we do this job. Now this guy was 31. He was strong, healthy. His mother told us he'd just gone out. As a medic, you hear that and your eyes start to get big. It's like, OK, maybe this is one we can save.

It was four guys and me. That's the crew. The two EMTs were bagging him up to get oxygen in his lungs. The medics were starting to intubate and calculating the meds. Everything they can do for you in a hospital, EMS brings to you. We carry 60 medications. We hook up the heart monitor. It all happens so fast, and there's barely time to talk. It's scalpel, needle, put in the IV, pace it, shock it, check on the heart rhythms. It's like a symphony, and you have to know your part.

The team kept working, and I went over to get information from the mother. There was a little girl standing behind her, 7 years old, and it turns out she's the daughter. They told me he'd been sick four or five days, but he worked at a bodega and he couldn't afford to take off. He'd come home from work and collapsed a few minutes later. Now I'm getting upset. Here we're supposed to be this great society, and this guy can't even miss one paycheck. There's no safety net. The system we have is broken, and this 7-year-old is seeing her dad get CPR. We kept working. After a few minutes, we got a pulse back. I told the family: "He's not out of the woods yet, but we might have a shot here." We rushed him into the truck and over to the hospital, and then he died a while later.

I did 14 cardiac arrests that day. I didn't save anybody.

The thing about being a paramedic is you need to have some reservoir of hope. This job is the ultimate backstage pass. It can make you believe in humanity, but it can also suck the humanity out of you. You see death, suffering - grief in its rawest forms. I've been shot at on this job. I've been beaten and cursed at. But then every year, we go to the Second Chance Brunch, and we get to meet some of the people we saved. There's no drug on the planet like that. There's no job that matters more. It keeps you going. But then we came into this virus, and we weren't bringing people back. The virus kept winning. It always ended the same way.

I'd go park the truck at the beach after a double and try to calm myself down and gather my thoughts. I've gained weight during this pandemic. I don't sleep well anymore. Emotionally, I've been feeling a little numb. They teach you as a Buddhist that life is suffering, and I believe that. You have to stay in the suffering. You can't deny reality and turn the other way.

I've been in therapy for 17 years, and lately what keeps coming up is that reservoir of hope. It's starting to feel more and more empty. Our call volume has been down for the last month, but I'm worried it won't stay there. I don't have that much faith in what we are anymore. America is supposed to be the best, right? So why aren't we united at all? Why aren't we taking care of each other? The virus is hanging around, waiting for us to make more mistakes, and I'm afraid that we will.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Latest hope is that things are opening up but realistically it seems the first wave isn't over and talk that the latest spikes in states unmentioned is a second wave i think is very naive. To me it seems that it's really their first wave. God help them when the second actually comes. I am quite remote from any real threat but my routine is different  because of this "P" (  I'm sick of  calling it Covid 19) the reality is i have found some things stressful that before "P" never were. Nursing homes  here are recruiting new residents but in reality don't have the staff to look after the ones they have. To entice new staff they have bumped up the pay $4.00 an hour. That paramedic was right on by saying workers are undervalued. Everyone is undervalued by the person one rung above them on the ladder. I'm trying to be a better person during all this but it's hard when most of the injustice continues. The son of one of our former Prime Ministers Ben Mulroney a media personality here in Canada has resigned his position with the hopes he will be replaced by someone less white and privileged. Since he comes from a privileged environment and a political one to boot i'm skeptical but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt till he announces he's running for political office.      I don't know the words to thank the people who are making a big difference in the world today but when the time comes we better let them all know what they are really  worth ! Stay Safe everyone. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Covid has emerged in NZ despite our mandatory 14 day isolation at the border. Just ridden my first day at Cardrona at our Level 2 restrictions.

Boarded from my car and avoided the cafeteria etc. Only used toilet cubicles of the enclosed facilities. Lifties loaded from Bubble queues and Single Stranger queues. 1+ chairlift seats between strangers, so 3 singles on a 6 seater for example.

Reduced loading had 2 effects, slightly longer waits for uplift, BUT reduced rider numbers on the actual slopes. I had some great carving because there was more space!

• Like 1

Here are the statistics, middle of the page, for the TOTAL death counts from ALL causes. Take them as you choose.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

The reason this matters, is because it takes the politics out of the subject. Every week, people die. This is the circle of life. Since we have historical data, we can determine the expected number of deaths, and these will fluctuate within parameters. this number and these numbers give us a better extract of how the pandemic is progressing, and no one can spin the numbers up or down, in respect to the "why" people died, when we have historical data to see what the expected numbers should be and are. 

Contraction rates don't matter as much as people would like to make them. Chicken Pox is deadly, but since there is a general immunity, no one runs from the kid when they present. Looking at the data from the TOTAL deaths, we can see this pandemic at worst, has crested, and at best, has provided enough data to doctors now to where they can now treat it, and so it is far less deadly. 

As we look, we will see there was a second spike in the middle of July. This would correspond to being approximately 2 weeks after, all across the country, there were mass gatherings in the streets where many people were sharing sweat and congregating closely. Clearly, this is something to avoid it would seem, as large gatherings seem to correlate to a bump. I will note, however, that the spike was significantly smaller than the original spike as doctors seem to have a better handle on the treatment aspect.

Let's keep in mind, this graph is for ALL deaths, from ALL causes. One overlooked aspect is that since this outbreak, people are no longer going to the doctors. Cancers, Heart issues, and all forms of other deadly, but preventable illnesses are not being diagnosed as people don't dare go into the hospitals, or the hospitals are cutting staff. It has been 8 months since this all started, and 6 months since it was widely publicized as a pandemic. Even if every case of COVID was cured tomorrow, these death figures would still exceed the normal expected numbers for the next year or two due to lack of preventive medicine. Last week the delta was 2k, the lowest number since the week ending March 28. What percent of that 2k was from lack of preemptive care? Let's not forget that none of the homeless have the resources they did as little as a year ago.

I think if we go by the raw numbers, look at past history, we might get a different picture than what is being presented to us every day. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TVR said:

I think if we go by the raw numbers, look at past history, we might get a different picture than what is being presented to us every day. 

What do you propose the world should do differently given these numbers? 

I am suggesting we fear less. I am thinking the draconian shutdowns are not needed, and the kids should be in school. But I am also suggesting we limit large gatherings of the vulnerable (Children don't seem to get sickened and the number of deaths of children without severe underlying symptoms is zero) but allow life to move forward.

Antidepressant prescription issuance is at an all time high by a magnitude and this is due to the fear.

I agree that we should try to live our lives as normally as possible while still taking precautions. 

I'm going to work every day and wearing a mask when I am around others. Everyone at work is social distancing as much as possible. The owners of the company take this seriously and the employees do as well. The company is functioning at a near normal rate. 

The person who is alone in their car and wearing a mask may be a bit weird but isn't hurting anyone. 

The people who go to Sturgis and completely ignore precautions are making it worse for all of us. A mask is not a seatbelt or helmet. We all wear them to protect others. 

@TVR

I hear you.  Mortality rate is one of the main concern for sure but not everything.  
"Death is only the beginning". Long term impact to overall health is too early to tell for me.
Quite a few early study show blood clot is how covid-19 cause such disparity symptoms.*
It all comes down to risk management.  From your investment tip(how you making out with hedging on oil?); you seem to have high tolerance for risk with good reason(appetite for oil isn't going to dissipate over night).  Logically it make total sense but it's not something I act on.  Peace of mind does worth something to me.
Nothing venture/nothing gain, fortune favor the bold and all that jazz.
We can control what we do; but not other.  Similar to carving safety; we do what we can but sometime it's our of our hand.
Not just covid:  I want to minimize catching seasonal flu if I can help it.
I will go out for a walk/run/exercise and practice social distance and wear mask when I can't.
It's a calculated risk that's within my risk tolerance.

Guess my point is that life is full of nuance and not straight black/white.
Life does need to go on but doesn't meant i don't take precautions.
Make educated decision based on available information and course correct accordingly.  

The good:
As we know more about covid.  There are more treatment options and vaccine are on the horizon.
Ski resort in the southern Hampshire are acting as the first mice so maybe we can get that Cheese. 
The bad:
I hate air travel especially during winter time/Flu season even without Covid.
I also hate driving but bus trip/enclose environment are risky.

Maybe with this remote work trend continue; i can rent a place near slope for the Season; only go out when it's not crowded.
Play by ears.

All in all; count my blessing as this is truly first world problem.

https://www.ucsf.edu/magazine/covid-body 

I'll add a random story here: Had to grab some items at a chain store whose name rhymes with FallMart. I just plain forgot my mask in my car. Friendly greater offers up a disposable mask as I enter, reminding me of the new policy. Right, no problem! Their mask, my mask; I'm not picky. 

Well, this mask is why some people hate masks. Smells like an old washcloth, has a plastic nose strip instead of metal so it doesn't stay bent to reduce glasses fogging, and it noticeably restricts air flow compared to any others I've used.  

Last I checked, I didn't die. Did learn to make sharp inhalations at busy intersections to defog my glasses. I mean, I can't seriously blame anyone that my FREE mask wasn't high enough quality. I had thought that all masks were similar until last night. 

How many of our teachers will we lose?  Who are they willing to sacrifice?  The answer is easy, anyone and everyone.

CORONAVIRUS 

08/13/2020 06:12 pm ET Updated 8 hours ago

Florida Teacher Writes Her Own Obituary To Protest Reopening Schools Amid COVID-19

Whitney Reddick said she posted the mock death notice because she believes she and her colleagues are seen as “a tool in restarting an economy.”

By Curtis M. Wong

A Florida teacher responded to her district’s plans to reopen for in-person classes during the coronavirus pandemic by writing her own obituary. 

Whitney Reddick, who teaches special education in Jacksonville, Florida, posted the mock death notice to Facebook Aug. 4. In it, she proclaims that she died “while alone in isolation and on a ventilator at a Duval county hospital” last week at age 33. 

“Even though she shouted from the rooftops, attempted to be unemotional, and educated herself in facts and science, she succumbed to the ignorance of those in power,” the obituary reads. “She returned to work, did her best to handle all the roles placed on her shoulders; educator, COVID-security guard, human shield, firefighter, social worker, nurse, and caregiver but the workload weakened her, and the virus took hold.”

“Whitney was taken from us,” it continues. “Yes, of course too soon, but we are the ones left with holes in our hearts, missing how big hers was.”

Mourners are then encouraged to send “condolences” to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry (R) and the Duval County school board and superintendent.

According to its website, Duval County public schools are slated to reopen next Thursday with both in-person and remote learning options for students. Though Reddick said in an interview she’ll return to her classroom as scheduled, she added that she’d prefer her district keep classes for all students remote, given that coronavirus cases in Florida continue to surge. 

“I felt the gravity of the situation and the obit took that on,” she told “The Today Show” last week. She said that in the debate over reopening schools, educators “no longer became people who had families and loved ones, we became a tool in restarting an economy. I wanted it to hit home that teachers are people and have families and loved ones.”

And Reddick, the mother of a 1-year-old boy, said she’s mostly concerned about what would happen to her family if she were to contract COVID-19. 

“I love my job so much,” she told CBS Jacksonville. “What if I go on a ventilator? What if my husband gets sick? ... Who takes care of our son? What if I pass away? What if he passes away?”

In an email, Duval County Superintendent Diana Greene told HuffPost she and her staff planned to “rise to the challenge” of teaching amid the pandemic. 

“Teaching is a public service, but it is unlikely any of us thought about a long-term global pandemic when we chose this path to serve children,” she said. “I empathize with the fears some teachers have expressed, and I also empathize with the needs of 130,000 children and their families.”

“With the resources and guidance available to us, we must move forward with every feasible precaution to support our employees and to serve those students who need us in classrooms,” she added. 

As of Thursday, more than 550,901 cases of coronavirus had been confirmed in Florida. The state had a testing positivity rate of 13.45%, according to Johns Hopkins University. The university’s statistics on Thursday showed almost 9,000 deaths in Florida attributed to the coronavirus, fifth-most in the U.S.  

Years ago, my childhood Dad, Lee Minoff born Aug 1,1934 ( moms boyfriend of 9 years) write a movie called “ The Yellow Submarine” I got to meet the Beatles .but before that he was a publicist and assistant to director Stanley Kubrick . He worked on a bunch of movies with Kubrick including Dr. Strangelove, or how I quit worrying and learned to love the bomb” . 

I was a PeterSellers fan and he  was all over that movie. Lee just turned 86.

https://deadorkicking.com/lee-minoff-dead-or-alive/

So there is a new virus. This one is not nearly as bad. Bill Gates predicts it will be 1/10th as deadly and that a mandatory vaccine for the new virus is about 4 months out. This one seems to only affect immo compromised people with about 60% of those people over 75.

People  are much less likely to die from ARDS and it responds well to Immuno modulating drugs to stop cytokine storms.

Looks like after COVID-19 we can have a new lockdown for this virus and masks for at least 6 months . But without lockdown we could reach herd immunity much quicker. Possibly as fast as 3 months if we don’t lock down .The total loss of life on the way to herd immunity is about the same lockdown or not  , like COVID-19, deaths will likely turn out to be about the same just spread out over more months  if we do lock down again. It’s less  deadly than a bad flu year but deadly none the less particularly to people over 85 years old who are expects to have about a 2% -4% chance of dying if they end up hospitalized and also don’t respond to anti-virals, early intervention, sntibody treatment, and thus end up in ICU. 

Time to buy some toilet paper 

if at this point you are thinking , no “f’ing way” I’m not doing this again , no reason as it’s not as deadly like the beginning of COVID . It’s not worth it to lock down at all for this.  I have watched a bunch of people come close to dying  of alcohol because they are too afraid to go to the hospital...... So let’s let this run out to herd immunity sequester the older vulnerable populations only and then use the vaccine. That’s my thought on it. 

As we approach herd immunity the R goes down rapidly masks or no masks .

On the recent Bill Gates interview on Stuff you should know , a podcast ... that’s pretty much how current COVID is described.

We are reacting to current Covid like old covid. Just like we did with AIDS . But AIDS is worse , you can’t get antibodies. It doesn’t go away . Masks don’t stop AIDS but as therapy I s got better for AIDS our freak out factor mostly went away. People still got AIDS but didn’t die as much as in the beginning of AIDS. COVID as a name is still terrifying as AIDS was in the beginning, but it will take people a long time for that fear to subside just like when AIDS therapy’s became much more effective. 

As I see it “ a brand is a promise”.

Covid now is the most powerful fear based brand based on Early perception Of COVID. Insurance companies wish they could sell fear connected to a  brand like COVID can. COVID is now the worlds most powerful brand. More recognizable than Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser,  Madonna , Michael Jackson, The Beatles ,  The Rolling Stones , Justin Bieber, Paris Hilton , Taylor Swift  , the Olson Twins , Donald Trump , and entire cast of the Kardashians combined. 

But now most of COVID’s deaths as   “low hanging fruit”  has been picked almost bare. Sure we produce more immuno suppressed people every day , but it’s fair to say our normal standing “stockpiles” of immunity suppressed and Comorbid people are currently depleted as compared to before COVID. 

A recent PBS summary predicts 30 million of the 110 million American renters are at risk of becoming homeless if this goes on for 60 more days. 

You can certainly count me among those.. Except I done care if I sleep in my car and snowboard . Most people with their families  can’t deal with that. 

Sick to say, I don’t mind COVID at all. People used to give me crap about not working and not wanting to spend money going out to restaurants because I would rather buy toys. Things are ACTUALLY better for me under COVID ., I don’t worry about getting the flu as much, I already have IGG antibodies, I get to freeze my credit cards,  I don’t go out and waste cash buying drinks, and the more time spent scuba diving breathing purified sir the safer I am. COVID will mean the least crowded slopes in a decade, I’ll have more jobs for me since Aspen’s foreign workers will be less likely to compete for clients .Oddly despite losing clients at the end of last season ... I really like life under COVID ...”  life for me. I adapted and really like it. I even can fly safely using my battery powered Bi-pap I run off of batteries because even though I can’t get covid I would still worry about other bugs, but now I can wear my bi- pap with a mask and 13 hour disk battery pack in its filter designed backpack ( it’s inside a taped shut HEPA vaccuum bag ... I don’t have to deal with funny looks . I wear a surgical mask over the CPAP face mask. 

I even expect Ski housing rental rates to go down so more of my friends can come stay in Aspen . 

So for me , if COVID went on for 20 more years ,,, I wouldn’t mind one bit personally. The thought of organizing a night skate knowing it’s now the safest way to do social exercise is a boon to me and that slalom skateboarding and rollerblade racing are ideal social distancing sports siice it makes course resetting easy to keep people at least 1 cone apart going Back uphill really works. 

I just feel bad for the rest of you. Luckily since I’m betting no one does the math and wakes up it will stay this way hopefully for more than 1 season . Possibly two or more Seasons  as more viruses are treated the same way by the conditioned public. I now welcome the new normal. 

No BS here , I adapted and kinda like it. I love the reduced traffic and that a bunch of my friends can work from anywhere so they can come ride now. 

I took lemons and made COVIDade.

So let’s look forward to good conditions even after 2 pm with almost no lift lines .

The cost to my carving lifestyle ???? Après ski will be outside on the mountain, which means no more waiting for a table as the space can just be expanded ... I won’t even have to go back to the car to change clothes. 

Those are my thoughts on  “ Dr.Nornal. Or howI learned to stop worrying and love the lockdown. Just FaceTimed  him and even with Alzheimer’s he remembered that.  

Edited by John Gilmour

I've given up hoping that everyone else will do what's right. I'm down to protecting myself and my family.

To that end I received some really good advice: figure out what's really important to you and do it while trying to be as safe as possible. For everything else just avoid it.

For me biking and snowboarding are the important things. I'll do my best to stay away from others. Luckily for me this does not require being indoors. In all else we're just not going out. No restaurants (sometimes we'll do curbside pickup), girls are going to do a virtual school year (studying from home) and we're working from home. I'm just thankful that our jobs and school district allow that.

• Like 1

John G you have a plan  hope it works for you. What do you think of the fact covid lasts longer on cold and frozen surfaces. Perhaps a clean inside social distance venue is safer than the tailgate or picnic table out in the freezing cold ! You may be right about affordable rentals since foreign owners will have no chance of occupying their vacation property. Border closed to Canada till mid Sept can't see that changing any month in the near future

Sustainability matters.
I like short lift line, empty trail, low cost vacation rental, cheap airfare just like any other carver.
But worry how long resort/the world can kept on operate like this?

Hope I am just worry about nothing.
Delayed gratification isn''t common sense.  “COVID fatigue” is real and just human nature.
We can band together for impending doom, but "glacial speed catastrophe" are often ignore because lizard brain only worry about tiger chasing my monkey ass. 
Class divide is getting wider.  Stock is at near all time time; essential worker/vulnerable people don't have "choice" despite what the individual risk tolerance is.  Not everyone have options to take "advantage" of the situation.
I don't know what the right thing to do is.

On the positive note:  my neck of wood seems to be getting back to "normal".  It was the epicenter of COVID-19 for USA.
People adopt best practices.  Human are adaptable; "this too shall pass".

12 hours ago, lowrider said:

John G you have a plan  hope it works for you. What do you think of the fact covid lasts longer on cold and frozen surfaces. Perhaps a clean inside social distance venue is safer than the tailgate or picnic table out in the freezing cold ! You may be right about affordable rentals since foreign owners will have no chance of occupying their vacation property. Border closed to Canada till mid Sept can't see that changing any month in the near future

Lowrider , good info About Canada.

Last update I heard was that there was no surface transmission that was confirmed. Now they can really trace how people got this. Apparently these virus hunters , sequence Covid and in just two pass downs , it has genetically altered  so you can really determine who DID NOT give it to someone else. It's sort of amazing . For instance, some meat packing plant had a few cases which initially was assumed to be transferred/acquired  at work. In the end they found out through sequencing that it was acquired outside of work so the meat packing plant was about to  quarantine those people and remain open .

cool stuff .

Yesterday , I got a call to see if I want to go back for another follow up antibody test as they are interested in my acquired immunity. So I'm definitely doing that.  They want to figure out exactly how long my immunity can be expected to last. Might be a different test.  Nice to know I can't get it or  give it to anyone. No quarantining period required, just wash my hands.

So  hopefully this is pertains to expletive who wish to  travel . I was watching a spear fishing program for the Bahamas . Apparently people can go there and avoid the 14 day quarantine , by testing in their home country and going through the quarantine at home. 

Perhaps ski destinations might adopt something along these lines. 

Something to be aware of: Covid appears to be causing permanent heart damage in a high proportion of people who get it, including those who are asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/opinion/covid-19-heart-disease.html

If I needed more encouragement to just stay home, that was it. 

• Like 2

Why do we treat this so different than we treat TB? Far more people get sick and die from TB than COVID, yet we treat TB by having created a quick test, and a regimand for treatment, while COVID we look at quarantines and shutting down the global economy and schools. This has become the emotional sickness, the sickness of fear, and just mentioning this I am sure has many enraged to read this.

Unlike COVID, TB has a little over 12% of it's cases are children. Largely, COVID leaves children unaffected.

Like COVID, underlying condition affect your chances of survival

TB affects about 12 million people, and kills about 1.5 million of those. COVID, as it is trending, won't be anywhere near those numbers. According to https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm (total excess deaths, all causes) COVID seems to be almost flat now.

TB disease is treated with a standard 6-month course of 4 antimicrobial drugs, while COVID is generally done in 3 weeks with anti inflammatories. (https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis)

If it was really about deaths and infection rates, I think there would be far more deadlier bugs on this planet to fight, like TB. No one is telling us they must be vaccinated for TB before schools will open. No one is telling us there must be no new cases of TB before businesses can reopen. Bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) is a vaccine for tuberculosis (TB) disease. This vaccine is not widely used in the United States, even with how highly contagious and deadly TB is. (https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/vaccines.htm#:~:text=TB Vaccine (BCG),protect people from getting TB.)

We need to look at this holistically, compare it to all risks and at the very least do the least harm. Among children ages 9-17, it is estimated that 21 percent, or more than 14 million children, experience some type of mental health condition.[27]  Yet only 16 percent of those with a condition receive any treatment.[23]  Of those, 70-80 percent received such care in a school setting.[23]  School closures can be particularly damaging for the 7.4 million American children suffering from a serious emotional disturbance.  (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/reopening-schools.html)

i am not a doctor.  In fact; i had problem graduating high school...
Not sure if there is a huge delta between viral(covid-19) vs bacterial(TB) infection.

malaria, dengue, zika, ebola just to name a few; are concern but it's not "wide spread". 
How things goes "viral" in social media or in the real world are not exact science. 

TB is known, have viable treatment option and diagnostic signature.  I don't know if TB have long term effect.
Covid-19 is "new" we are making progress in context of treatment, test; combined that with high infection rate, high mortality rate.  It make sense to be cautious.

Similar to computer virus. 
Say there is new crypto locker malware that's raping everybody out there (ref: Antoine Dobson hide your wife, hide your kids)
If there is no signature for anti-virus software to detect, nor software to remove it.
I would be extra careful when it comes to wareZ and visiting the d@rKw3b. 
Headless chrome running in container inside a vm inside QEMU emulator inside my <TI82>; well you get the idea.

risk tolerance and make choice that you feel is right.

separate truth from F.U.D. (fear, uncertainty, doubt) is a fine line and most don't do it well.

Although tuberculosis is contagious, it's not easy to catch. You're much more likely to get tuberculosis from someone you live with or work with than from a stranger. Most people with active TB who've had appropriate drug treatment for at least two weeks are no longer contagious.

TB and Coronavirus are two different cells.  TB is Bacterial and Covid is Viral.  The smallest bacteria are about 0.4 micron (one millionth of a meter) in diameter while viruses range in size from 0.02 to 0.25 micron. This makes most viruses submicroscopic, unable to be seen in an ordinary light microscope. They are typically studied with an electron microscope.

This is part of the reason the aerosols are playing such an important part in Covid infections.