Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

howdy

here is a resort in korea that has almost daily videos of very good soft carvers on the latest boards...

every softbooter rides at a high level with the latest boards from the top makers... seems like carving

is the only way to snowboard... and a not too crowded resort with great grooming...

Edited by west carven
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 5:08 AM, west carven said:

howdy

here is a resort in korea that has almost daily videos of very good soft carvers on the latest boards...

every softbooter rides at a high level with the latest boards from the top makers... seems like carving

is the only way to snowboard... and a not too crowded resort with great grooming...

Probably the best riding I have seen so far. None of that gimmick flapping front hand arm swing. Aside from the guy on the Donek featured at the end, they were all ripping

Edited by slopestar

On 5/7/2020 at 5:48 PM, slopestar said:

Probably the best riding I have seen so far. None of that gimmick flapping front hand arm swing. Aside from the guy on the Donek featured at the end, they were all ripping

The guy with the boom mic doing heel side carve to 360 to toe side.  That's a nice looking move.
The others doing spins just spin out to slides until they can carve again, but this guy has something.
3:05, 3:10, 3:41 (best).  No matching toe to heel 360's though.

Carving switch and popping tricks is what makes soft boot carving look cool.  Duck stance looks different, but high-angle soft looks the same as alpine; style is more just the equipment spectrum from wide to narrow boards than soft to hard.

I think the future of alpine is soft boot carvers that want to try higher angles.  When some of these riders want to stop fighting the geometry of riding wide boards and progress to higher binding angles as a progression of experience.  Even if only 1 in 100 soft boot carvers dares to imagine what riding a Skwal might feel like, there's hope for alpine.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:08 AM, west carven said:

This one.  3:05, 3:10, 3:41.

howdy

hi johnasmo I believe the Japanese and Koreans think that softboot carving is way cooler than hardboots.

if you put some of the good softboot riders on hardboots they will blow the minds of everyone on this forum.

they are already blowing minds on their softboots. I would love to see them crank some turns then go off

groom and carve some good powder. I think they like softboots because it is more versatile and playful.

the board rama is using as of late is the bc stream dr which is soft and playful which he can do what they

call "ground tricks" and can carve pretty good. hardboot and softboot carving at a high level can get boring

after awhile and having a board that is more playful and can still carve is the future. a short pow carver

for softboots or a soft hardboot set-up design for fun playful riding... tweak those numbers on the cnc...

21 hours ago, west carven said:

I think they like softboots because it is more versatile and playful.

...having a board that is more playful and can still carve is the future. a short pow carver

Tweak those numbers on the cnc...

Order a new board and I'll be happy to do CNC codes for you.

The ones who want versatile and playful are not the future of alpine.  Future of carving in general, yes, but future of alpine isn't the cool kids.  It's the few odd ball softbooters that dare to wonder what riding a Skwal might feel like.  The freaks that are willing to screw versatile and playful in favor of the best possible carve on the steepest possible run and find that low angles and "cat butt" style isn't getting them there.

Getting 1 in 100 "carvers" interested in "alpine" would be lucky.  Just need a few that aren't happy with +24/+9 to make a market for higher angle gear.  Softboots/bindings that handle +65/+60 and a 18cm waist will be the end of alpine.  RIP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The whole Video section is for hard boot carving worth watching. I started this thread to bring together a collection of jointly curated videos, that showed what softbooters can do, both for the hard boot sceptics, and for those who want to carve and only have soft boot gear. 

The thread has grown way beyond what I ever imagined. Now someone just needs to start a "Ski carving worth watching" thread.

• 2 weeks later...