Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

Agreed.  The first girl appears very rigid on the board, not very dynamic in her turns. 

Is it possible the board is too stiff for the speed she is running?  That tecnique may be fast throught the gates but is far from the smooth and graceful carve we are accustomed to seeing from the Japanese and Korean riders.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:07 PM, SunSurfer said:

Assuming that Pokkis' provided setup data is correct, his(her!) stance is also long for his(her!) height. 58cm! I've gradually moved out to 56cm and I'm 182cm with relatively long legs for my height. Might have to try longer whenever I next get on snow.

Technique-wise, with stances that wide, you pretty much eliminate the possibility of any flexion/extension (up/down) going into turns, so there doesn’t seem to much ability to pressure your turns that way...

This stance pretty much forces you into a full-commitment type of carving, where you rely on rolling immediately across to the new edge into a carve. I tried it a little this winter, and that’s what I observed.
You can see this whenever you see them starting a run, or trying to start the board rolling, that there is virtually no slow speed maneuverability, they have to shuffle and hop about awkwardly, until they get up enough speed to lay it straight over, in a fully committed carve. 
Just my 2 cents...

ps. I do LOVE these videos! Keep them coming, it’s going to be a looooong summer! 

I'm curious: is the little arm flip at the start of the turn taught as a fundamental skill in Korea? Watch the rear arm just after entry to a heelside turn. Most riders pitch that arm rearward, like they're trying to rotate the board even though they've already started the carve. 

On 4/5/2020 at 5:56 AM, Emdee406 said:

Technique-wise, with stances that wide, you pretty much eliminate the possibility of any flexion/extension (up/down) going into turns, so there doesn’t seem to much ability to pressure your turns that way...

This stance pretty much forces you into a full-commitment type of carving, where you rely on rolling immediately across to the new edge into a carve. I tried it a little this winter, and that’s what I observed.
You can see this whenever you see them starting a run, or trying to start the board rolling, that there is virtually no slow speed maneuverability, they have to shuffle and hop about awkwardly, until they get up enough speed to lay it straight over, in a fully committed carve. 
Just my 2 cents...

All good reasons why soft booters should use appropriate canting and lift for their physique, stance and binding angles.

Style is style.  It is a personal thing.  Some ride with amazing power, others with an effortless grace and smoothness (my favourite), and still others just look like they are beating the hell out of the run.  It's all good, as long as it leaves a single fine line...

I think the shorter stance allows for a more dynamic riding position.  He seems to be able to handle chopped up runs far better.  The board also appears to be stiffer than most, it doesn't seem to want to fold at high angles and speed.  Which model BC Stream?

The wider stance works on perfect groom, as shown in most videos, but the riders seem to get bucked around by any uneveness in the surface.  Even at the higher board angles involved in carving.

On 4/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, west carven said:

howdy

it is a counter move to get the inside shoulder/arm down fast..

Its a quadraxial rotational movement along the front foot positional downward stance width, enjunctified canting direction upon the torso with impedemental rise displacing on the back foot back lift upward momentum shift.

Geezus.....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

howdy

2020.02.08 6th ALL ASIA Technical Riding Championship...

I believe they are judged by short, medium and long carve and style...

the number one gal is Lee Yu in pink jacket... last one on vid...

and now the mens...

more same day action...

Edited by west carven
  • Like 3