Note to New Members ×

Aaaaaand We are Back: from Fin

fin

14 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

skis and snowboards carve best when the athlete bends them into a smooth arc

Well sure, I was assuming that much.  If you're one of these guys who wheelies the nose at the end of every carve, then there are other factors in play.  But if the athlete tries to bend the board into a smooth arc, and the board/plate/binding prevents that, I say that's a problem with the equipment under the boots.

14 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

There have been a great number of ski bindings produced over the years touting elimination of  'the dead spot'. Most don't remain in production for more than a year or two. When you consider that those competing in GS, the closest 'analog' to hardboot carving, don't use much more than a 'standard' binding atop a riser plate

Are you sure about that?  My dad's new-last-year Rossi Heros have what looks like a Vist plate on them, and it sure wasn't his idea to put them there.  Next time a high-level ski race is in town, I'm going to check out the gear.  I'll be very surprised if they're just using a simple riser.

Td4: same features/performance, half the weight. 

Ti?  Mg?  CF?  drool...

I feel that Gecko's are best bang for money for carver or beer legue racer.
They are light, simple to setup and dont require adapting to stiffer heavier long plate.
If you feel that they are too stiff or you are lighter rider, just replace red bushings with orange ones, or i would order both right away, as i did :)

48 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

Are you sure about that?  My dad's new-last-year Rossi Heros have what looks like a Vist plate on them, and it sure wasn't his idea to put them there.  Next time a high-level ski race is in town, I'm going to check out the gear.  I'll be very surprised if they're just using a simple riser.

You are right. Every one piece riser I've seen, over the last 15 years, on skis, had some sort of floating/sliding mechanism. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

The Vist doesn't appear to incorporate linkages, pivots, springs, variable position switches, or pistons.

Ergo, I'd regard that as a 'simple' riser, a few generations removed from the original Derby/Deflex and EPB systems.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is sound, and they can certainly contribute to performance. If a skier persists in squeezing grapes against the boot tongue all day long, a Vist et al  won't make much difference.

When you consider the buying power of Rossignol, the exposure for the plate manufacturer gained by that partnership, and the perceived advantage at the point of sale, it's a no brainer to combine the two on a 'performance' platform.

I seem to recall a difference going from the 5 point Variplate mount to the 3d system, but not so much going from the TD1 to the TD2, other than feeling more 'connected' on the TD1, despite the smaller puck.

Edited by Beckmann AG

On 12/20/2017 at 5:20 PM, Jack Michaud said:

Well sure, I was assuming that much.  If you're one of these guys who wheelies the nose at the end of every carve, then there are other factors in play.  But if the athlete tries to bend the board into a smooth arc, and the board/plate/binding prevents that, I say that's a problem with the equipment under the boots.

Ti?  Mg?  CF?  drool...

NOT Mg!  During portions of the year they'll salt the courses for the local racing club, so pictures of emmental cheese comes to mind.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:52 PM, rjnakata said:

For TD4's I would be thrilled to see:

1) On slope single tool infinite cant/lift adjustment achievable without removing the cant disk or base plate .

2) Quantifiable cant/lift measurement (ie I would know bindings are now set to 5.55 degrees lift and 2.45 degrees cant etc)

3) Boot centering capability for all boot sole lengths..  

4) Adjustment of binding angle without removal of toe/heel blocks

5) Greater latitude for elastomer flexibility (ie, softer), but still metal board compatible 

It may be a lot to ask, and as to  what they would look like IDK!  There are some  bindings from the past that have achieved some of these, but not all together....

I would love to see something similar. Lighter weight would be nice, and more friendly to small feet too! I have to remove toe /heel blocks any time I want to do anything. And forget about step ins... 

The TD3 standard or the TD2 had the ability to adjust angles without removal of toe/heel block, so this should be possible with the sidewinders, as I look at them. Also, although fewer may want them, maybe a limited run of 8 or 9 degree cants? Personally, I don't need them, but it would be interesting to have those options.... All I know is the sidewinders, although great, have the blocks get in the way.

1 hour ago, TVR said:

The TD3 standard or the TD2 had the ability to adjust angles without removal of toe/heel block, so this should be possible with the sidewinders, as I look at them.

Also, although fewer may want them, maybe a limited run of 8 or 9 degree cants? Personally, I don't need them, but it would be interesting to have those options.... All I know is the sidewinders, although great, have the blocks get in the way.

With small boots (or UPZ with their stupid heel under the midfoot), the blocks overlap the 3 baseplate bolts.  I have to loosen the heel block to access one of the 4x4 bolts on my TD3 SI SW.  Even with non-SW, I still can't access the baseplate bolts without removing the heel block.  

I'd like to try a 9-degree cant.  Some racers run some serious heel lifts on their F2 bindings, maybe more than 9?  

2 hours ago, Corey said:

I'd like to try a 9-degree cant.  Some racers run some serious heel lifts on their F2 bindings, maybe more than 9?  

Yeah. I had sen one that was setup with stacked big (6 degree) and small (3 degree) lift blocks on F2 Race Titanium older model.  Catek used to go 8 degree with long king pin.  I believe racers were using with Raichle boots (pre-UPZ era)

On 12/23/2017 at 3:04 AM, Corey said:

With small boots (or UPZ with their stupid heel under the midfoot), the blocks overlap the 3 baseplate bolts.  I have to loosen the heel block to access one of the 4x4 bolts on my TD3 SI SW.  Even with non-SW, I still can't access the baseplate bolts without removing the heel block.  

Take your TD3s, measure the distance between the toe and heel blocks, and create 3 degree lift wedges that create the additional slope. I did this to turn  a 3 degree disc into 6 degrees to create enough toe lift when I bought my UPZ boots. You'll need some longer M6 screws to mount them.  

You need really long screws to mount a 9 degree heel wedge on F2s (tried it)! Then the angle between the top surface of the heel block and the screw head also becomes an issue. 

9 degree discs, axis 30-45 degrees offset from binding plate axis depending upon preference, would also allow skwalleurs to run appropriate lift and outward canting.

The design feature that sets TD's apart from pretty much everything else on the market is the ability to precisely and incrementally adjust lift and canting. Understanding, publicising and marketing that design feature to high visibility racers/riders is a key to increasing market penetration. Just like Kessler make stock and custom boards, Bomber could make custom cant discs (for a price).

Edited by SunSurfer
add detail

Hmm. A thread about Bomber’s demise and potential return drifted into the need for updated or new products or lack there of. I hope the future owners take note of the potential here but see the large engineering component thats needed to keep a business like this running. I personally know of too many small businesses that fell into the funk of surviving on legacy products.

Donek has done well with Ryan's videos... it keeps the name brand in the forefront of peoples minds.... many of the Sochi athletes were running TD3's (not the majority, but still) and that kind of brand placement is huge...

Maybe if the TD series comes out with the next version and some well known riders show them off, this might put the spark where it is needed in Bomber... Same for the boots...All I know is, for my entire life the whole "new and improved" was pasted on all products and kids want what athletes do... If positioned right, this could become the phoenix and launch Bomber to a new level... once the dust of the existing ashes are blown clear....

Currently up on the Bomber Store webpage.

Open for window shopping only.

* PLEASE NOTE *

Bomber is currently going through an ownership change.

The Store is open for looking at what is available, however

until the ownership change is complete no orders will be accepted or shipped.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience and we hope to have this resolved soon.

We appreciate you patience.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2017 at 6:43 AM, TVR said:

Donek has done well with Ryan's videos... it keeps the name brand in the forefront of peoples minds.... many of the Sochi athletes were running TD3's (not the majority, but still) and that kind of brand placement is huge...

Maybe if the TD series comes out with the next version and some well known riders show them off, this might put the spark where it is needed in Bomber... Same for the boots...All I know is, for my entire life the whole "new and improved" was pasted on all products and kids want what athletes do... If positioned right, this could become the phoenix and launch Bomber to a new level... once the dust of the existing ashes are blown clear....

Not to push it more off topic, but a softbot binding I think would really help to put bomber on the map. I would love to see something that is light, offers the quick entry like FLOWs, and uses a similar base plate to that of the TD3s. Talking to riders like Ryan and softboot carvers here would find what else is missing from the current availability. Maybe a 3rd strap?

• Like 1

On 12/25/2017 at 5:12 AM, michael.a said:

I hope the future owners take note of the potential here but see the large engineering component thats needed to keep a business like this running. I personally know of too many small businesses that fell into the funk of surviving on legacy products.

Agree on point #1. Also a mistake to prematurely phase out support for older versions/ older models, especially given the size of the plate binding market, and the tendency for older pieces to get handed down, and be used to introduce novices to the game.

And of course there's the insecure notion that things have to change every so often, otherwise the customer thinks you aren't making the product any better.

Was looking up parts for a low volume flowmeter the other day. Probably at least 40 years old. Company is still in business, and still manufacturing the exact same piece.

Point being, in some markets, once you figure out what matters, you're good to go for a very long time. 

Edited by Beckmann AG
typoos
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/29/2017 at 11:58 AM, Shred Gruumer said:

CxNxlUu.gif

Well this is weird. I hit multiquote for this post """Hmm. A thread about Bomber’s demise and potential return drifted into the need for updated or new products or lack there of. I hope the future owners take note of the potential here but see the large engineering component thats needed to keep a business like this running. I personally know of too many small businesses that fell into the funk of surviving on legacy products."""

And Techno Viking appears from Shred. It must be a sign that the store is coming....or Fin is #1. First I want to thank Fin for getting the forum operational during the transition(s)? that are happening. 

I personally think the TD3 SI is the finest binding I have ever had underfoot. I have never carved at speed so much without that little nagging "What if" in the back of my mind. 

And for that I thank Fin once again.

Not sure what direction design will pull future models but this is one great binding. Peace, love and carving to everyone. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...