Note to New Members ×

Aaaaaand We are Back: from Fin

fin

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

It means he's the forum admin.  The bank owns everything now.  They have given Fin control.

Selfish of me, but does anyone know what happens in the case of unclaimed merchandise? I bought new boots and some binding parts in April last year, and they never got delivered despite several communications (kept saying they would get delivered after they were back in stock). After getting the bankruptcy informational letter I haven't had much success when I have called every number listed on there to attempt to file a claim. It's sort of one of those first-world problems where I'm thinking 'well, it's not the end of the world if I just lose that money, but I also no longer have hardboots to ride in and I sure wish I did!' If anyone else had the same experience I would have much gratitude for a PM with any tips or numbers to call that will respond to that process. 

1 hour ago, moose said:

Selfish of me, but does anyone know what happens in the case of unclaimed merchandise? I bought new boots and some binding parts in April last year, and they never got delivered despite several communications (kept saying they would get delivered after they were back in stock).

Wait... April of 2016?  Or 2017?

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Wait... April of 2016?  Or 2017?

Also, as to my above comment, literally upon getting home today after posting I got a second letter with more information in the mail. I should have it sorted out now as to who to contact - thanks.

Ok so that would be this year.  I've heard that the Deeluxe order did not come in before the shit hit the fan, so that wasn't really in their control.  I imagine they could have been more proactive with Deeluxe, but I don't know.  Of course this has nothing to do with bindings/parts and the other orders that were dropped.

5 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

In your vivid imagination, what would that look like?

Exactly the same thing you want - more color options :)

But in all seriousness, enhanced weight reduction above all, and/or the introduction of a ‘lite’ version. Id ask for a wider base plate to spread the load even more. I think there is potential in the design of an integrated “gecko” base plate.  But also a smaller e-ring to fit 17 cm boards for those that dont want to use the Boiler plate lowers. Id favor a return of a  sprung front bail for intecs. Just off the top of my head.

14 minutes ago, michael.a said:

But in all seriousness, enhanced weight reduction above all, and/or the introduction of a ‘lite’ version. Id ask for a wider base plate to spread the load even more. I think there is potential in the design of an integrated “gecko” base plate.  But also a smaller e-ring to fit 17 cm boards for those that dont want to use the Boiler plate lowers. Id favor a return of a  sprung front bail for intecs. Just off the top of my head.

I'm under the impression that a ski or snowboard carves best when it bends into a smooth arc.  This is a huge part of the purpose of isolation plates like Apex, Allflex, etc.  I don't know why anyone would want to increase the size of the "dead spot" underneath a binding.

54 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I'm under the impression that a ski or snowboard carves best when it bends into a smooth arc.  This is a huge part of the purpose of isolation plates like Apex, Allflex, etc.  I don't know why anyone would want to increase the size of the "dead spot" underneath a binding.

Bigger wet spot..I mean dead spot ..Bingo! and more colors...weeeeeeee!  how bout carving out the top plate so I don't have to take that piece off to move the bottom plates,,, and then carve out the center of the bottom plate so I can line it up...  pretty much already there as that bottom plate in the center is carved out to about 1mm thick already, would probably have to mill out a square opening on the top plate if you made one big diameter, too much will probably be cut out in order not to have to loosen the top 3 screws but at least your not taking all the screws out and losing them in the snow..... just sayin... Bam TD3.5

Edited by Shred Gruumer

36 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

how bout carving out the top plate so I don't have to take that piece off to move the bottom plates,

TD3 is already like this... :confused:

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/bindings/td3andsw/td3_si_1000.jpg

36 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

then carve out the center of the bottom plate so I can line it up

Not sure what this would achieve?  How would having visibility through that little slot allow you to line anything up?  I guess if you put markings on your board?  But it's pretty easy to just sharpie some eyeliner on your preferred inserts, and you can easily see this through the center disc's holes.

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

I think the dead spot is due to the very small footprint of bindings. A wider and longer base plate that follows along the line of the Gecko concept from Apex/Kessler may better distribute pressure from the binding area over the edges. Such a combined package could have significant performance advantages with reduced binding height than the current combination of plate+baseplate+binding plate.

I have not ridden with the Geckos but use plastic plates from Goltes that for all intents and purposes increase the binding footprint, providing increased edge hold and a smoother ride by 10-15%.

27 minutes ago, michael.a said:

I think the dead spot is due to the very small footprint of bindings. A wider and longer base plate that follows along the line of the Gecko concept from Apex/Kessler may better distribute pressure from the binding area over the edges.

At first I thought that was the purpose, but the alpine Gecko plates and bumpers are very stiff.  It seems to me they greatly reduce or even prevent board flex over a larger region.  But I only tried them once, and conditions weren't conducive.  I'd love to try them with some really squishy bumpers.

7 hours ago, michael.a said:

Funny man. 

I might go for this colorway:a153761325d093ebdf9242130a2f9aaf--dazzle

or maybe this:bmw-art-cars-1900x1200-19.jpg

I'd like the option of a thicker intermediate plate, larger toe and heel pads for more secure fitment to the boot sole, and a return to standard toe and heel block fasteners to facilitate DIY fine tuning of cant.

5 hours ago, michael.a said:

I think the dead spot is due to the very small footprint of bindings. A wider and longer base plate that follows along the line of the Gecko concept from Apex/Kessler may better distribute pressure from the binding area over the edges. Such a combined package could have significant performance advantages with reduced binding height than the current combination of plate+baseplate+binding plate.

I have not ridden with the Geckos but use plastic plates from Goltes that for all intents and purposes increase the binding footprint, providing increased edge hold and a smoother ride by 10-15%.

If you could conjure up some manner of multiple plate leaf spring to fit between board and binding, you'd probably have something.

FWIW, a long time ago, I made a set of spacers for the Burton Race Plate out of 3/8 uhmwpe. Had results similar to what you've found with your Goltes plates. Some of that may have been due to the riser effect, but it may have been due to load distribution. Point loading the edge isn't exactly ideal.

5 hours ago, michael.a said:

I'm under the impression that a ski or snowboard carves best when it bends into a smooth arc.  This is a huge part of the purpose of isolation plates like Apex, Allflex, etc.  

This may set you off, but skis and snowboards carve best when the athlete bends them into a smooth arc. Most any sliding device will flex like a  bent paper clip, if the inputs provided support that outcome.

There have been a great number of ski bindings produced over the years touting elimination of  'the dead spot'. Most don't remain in production for more than a year or two. When you consider that those competing in GS, the closest 'analog' to hardboot carving, don't use much more than a 'standard' binding atop a riser plate, one could reasonably conclude that much of the 'dead spot' talk is marketing.

The less obvious, and perhaps more significant result of using an isocline, is the reduction/cancellation of torsional distortion in the board. This has the effect of improving both glide and grip over hard/rough surfaces. In turn, this creates the impression that the board has a 'rounder' flex, meanwhile permitting 'freer' articulation of the lower extremities.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

In your vivid imagination, what would that look like?

For TD4's I would be thrilled to see:

1) On slope single tool infinite cant/lift adjustment achievable without removing the cant disk or base plate .

2) Quantifiable cant/lift measurement (ie I would know bindings are now set to 5.55 degrees lift and 2.45 degrees cant etc)

3) Boot centering capability for all boot sole lengths..  

4) Adjustment of binding angle without removal of toe/heel blocks

5) Greater latitude for elastomer flexibility (ie, softer), but still metal board compatible 

It may be a lot to ask, and as to  what they would look like IDK!  There are some  bindings from the past that have achieved some of these, but not all together....