Note to New Members ×

Should we all just start straight lining? Is getting smoked by the general public from behind the new norm?

slopestar

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Head on a swivel ALL the time. Ride early in the morning or late in the day. Ride steeper terrain - no one straightlines serious pitch. Never be going across the hill below a knoll or drop off - you're invisible. Ride REALLY aggressively rather than defensively - big deep carves at the highest speeds you're comfortable with - my experience (I'm kind of large) has been that people stay away for the most part. Riding in a nice, contained, predictable rhythm really should work but doesn't - there's always some fool trying to fit where there's no room. Random aggression and a sense of ownership works better in my experience

That’s been my strategy. I’m of course eyes out and very careful, but once underway it’s fast, large radius, deep carves wherein the inertia of my 6’3” 225 lb frame has always prevailed against wrongful intruders from uphill. Rules are rules, and physics are physics. 

Edited by TWM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Head on a swivel ALL the time. Ride early in the morning or late in the day. Ride steeper terrain - no one straightlines serious pitch.

Yes they do. I was carving a black diamond groomed pitch and nearly got taken out (Colorado, so it's actually steep). Two morons tucking the pitch.

Fact of the matter is, most people don't get enough time on snow. You get enough time on snow, your odds of something happening go way up no matter what you do. You are almost guaranteed a collision(s) if you are getting 2000+ days in your lifetime. 

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 5:09 PM, slopestar said:

carving thing is not healthy for longevity in snowboarding

After being on the AIL off and on for two years since a drunk skier took me out, and two surgeries and months of PT later, I'm probably a couple weeks away from being cleared to be back on the hill for work.... and I still get anxious when I see the parking lot more than half full.  

On my road back to Hard Charging Carving my season has just barely started.  I am literally just 5 minutes away from the closest lift at my local hill, but the 6 times  I have gone out so far this season I have chosen to drive up to an hour to go riding/carving mid- week night riding when it's mostly deserted slopes!

Additionally today, being I'm probably less than two weeks away from being cleared by Workers Comp Docs.  to be back on the Hill for work, to add insult to injury I'm told by my Boss I'm banned from riding for work, riding during work hours, riding with our racers...being on the Hill for work....etc. 

I can continue to direct the program, but from the sidelines as i have been doing this season, as the Insurance regulators have evidently stipulated my work/the Academy will not be covered unless my job description is changed to non-skiing//riding.

"They" can't risk another payout if I got hit/hurt again on the Hill while working.

Of course what I do on my time is up to me...... but here's another level of "Collision" outcomes I would never expected and have no words for.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Alan said:

At Mt Bachelor, there are signs around the lift lines with a photo of a snow angel that say something like “You were going 50, she was 5”.  As a parent, it hits me all in the feels, not sure how the typical <insert stereotype> sees it…

Seems like other well-designed on-slope visual campaigns would be worth a go.

Education and shame only work on/for the conscientious and we are by definition discussing those that are not conscientious or there wouldnt be a problem. These measures are preaching to the choir. 

Dedicated runs only marginalize and limit our riding even if they do work and that requires again people to follow the rules. 

Adequately applied the current rules cover these situations but sadly there is no enforcement.

We need to change the culture and that sadly is a function of enforcement. Patrollers pulling tickets is a good first step but this wont happen because the resorts dont want to  upset their customers and the patrol function is not an independent entity.   Sad as I am about resorting to the rightly characterized "American"  option of legal actions I see no way to compel individuals and the resorts to take this seriously absent some significant financial/legal risk and consequences

Edited by neanderthal
  • Like 2

Been riding bout 2000 days and hit only ones by skier, and that happened day when we two were only two person in resort.

Best advice is learn to look upwards hill after every turn you make. Later when your speed increase you might take look after every second turn.

• Like 2

I have a bunch of strategies to avoid numpties hitting me, and so far it's been a win for me. I'd add to those already mentioned...

• Never stop mid-run, just ride top to bottom. That saves having to work out a safe place to stop and all that stuff.
  • Avoid European "home runs" with drunk people on them. Whilst they make for interesting slalom gates, overall it's a risk I can do without.
  • Support places like Whistler where speed cops are common. I like speed cops, who never stop me even though I'm faster than most folk. I just eyeball them and slow down, put in some fancy controlled carves, and they maybe nod and look away, and I'm gone. They're not after me.
  • Don't ride the same schedule as everyone else. Get the first lift, and don't stop for lunch when everyone else is doing that.

The statistics are available online for collisions and injuries, and the good news is that the straight lining "intermediate" numpty skier/ boarder is most at risk, on intermediate grade runs. I think they may need more speed cops on high accident incidence runs, and maybe to design some features (like massive moguls?) to slow down the straight lining limited skill folk.

Another option would be to build a speed ski course, and force all straight liners to go there when caught. The intermediate nature of their skill would become immediately apparent on an actual speed course.

Or maybe just castration?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, philw said:

I support this

3 hours ago, pow4ever said:

everyone get their own trail 🙂
ppl often wonder why i can ride the same trail over and over and not get bore.  being sucky at this sport have it's advantage as i create excitement by tripping over myself lol... 

My company does all of their Audio Visual . 

I hate carving. I'm just going to get 200 days per year. All powder heli-runs. Screw all of you plebs. 😂.

The only thing hitting me from behind will be the eventual avalanche/debris.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Odd Job said:

I hate carving. I'm just going to get 200 days per year. All powder heli-runs. Screw all of you plebs. 😂.

The only thing hitting me from behind will be the eventual avalanche/debris.

You wouldn't believe it, but there are Jerries with plenty of money who will t-bone you at the bottom of a pow run off a heli/cat/whatever. There's just no escaping.

I know a guy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, philw said:

Another option would be to build a speed ski course, and force all straight liners to go there when caught. The intermediate nature of their skill would become immediately apparent on an actual speed course.

Either option is a solid win.

• Like 1

I vote for castration, but in my accident I was almost killed on empty slope on Friday by 70 years old skier, so castration would be useless in this case. Absolutely nothing happened to him I just hope Vid took care about him if there is any justice on the world.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 4:52 PM, Carvin&#x27; Marvin said:

Seems like y'all aren't riding fast enough.

But in all seriousness, I started checking my 6 on every single turn instead of every other.  

actually that's the problem, they're going fast in a strait line and I'm going just as fast in a curved line, laterally across the run which non-carving brains cannot comprehend

• Like 1

https://www.segno.co.nz/shop/product/warning-i-turn-often/

Tankers collecting milk from dairy farms in New Zealand often have a sign like this on the rear. Fundamentally the same problem we have.

The company selling the sign are located in one the most intense dairy farming parts of NZ.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, b0ardski said:

actually that's the problem, they're going fast in a strait line and I'm going just as fast in a curved line, laterally across the run which non-carving brains cannot comprehend

NCBD.  Non-carving brains disorder.  This explains alot.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2024 at 2:28 PM, pow4ever said:

my pet peeve are:
i tend to let ppl go first; but many ppl tend to stop when they see you stop.  Once you start going; they start going. <enter jackie chan meme here>

👆This!!! All! Day! Long! 

I’ve tried resorting to “no, after you, please.” It only rarely works. 

• Like 2

I've actually had to say I'm not going until you do!!  Had them say "but we want to watch you!" so tell them to stay a couple turns behind me!!! Whenever I ride with anyone who's never seen me ride I warn them to stay at least 2 turns behind me because I will unexpectedly spin 360s and check lots speed followed by wide turns. As for joe public, I will never ski another weekend day at a modern resort for the rest of my life.

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 3

If by some miracle we solve this, we can apply the same logic to drunk driving, domestic abuse, etc. Jerks gonna do what jerks do. When they're not doing jerky s*** on the hill, they're doing it on the road. The funny thing to me is that all this coincides with advancements in ski technology that facilitate...turning.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 5:01 PM, Alan said:

At Mt Bachelor, there are signs around the lift lines with a photo of a snow angel that say something like “You were going 50, she was 5”.  As a parent, it hits me all in the feels, not sure how the typical <insert stereotype> sees it…

Seems like other well-designed on-slope visual campaigns would be worth a go.

this is analogous to motorcycles, IMO. 

Two approaches seem helpful:

(1) self defense...head on a swivel, and assume those around you are not just incompetent but have bad intent, hence the onus is unfortunately on you not to get hit

(2) get authorities to advertise to drive up awareness for those who would like to be safe but don't know better (Alan's point).  CA does this on their road safety signs, and as Alan mentions, Mt Bachelor has lots of safety signage around. 

Edited by RRrider
  • Like 1

I hiked up a blue square trail today and was shocked at the number of really dangerous skiers and boarders coming down the hill.

It was very very firm.

70% of both types of sliders were unwilling or unable to use their edges. And half the folks that could use their edges were still going far faster than they could reasonably control themselves in a bad situation.

It is NH school vacation but the trouble was across the age spectrum.

I think I'll stick to more of the mid of midweek days.

Edited by Spiny Norman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

If by some miracle we solve this, we can apply the same logic to drunk driving, domestic abuse, etc. Jerks gonna do what jerks do. When they're not doing jerky s*** on the hill, they're doing it on the road. The funny thing to me is that all this coincides with advancements in ski technology that facilitate...turning.

All of us that could actually make a zipper line on 205s were lamenting the advent of shaped skis back in the 90s for this reason, It allowed people to get into terrain far beyond their experience/abilities and now the pow is toast by run #2.

• Like 3

Looks like another one got hit from behind at Park City. I know he is a member on here but forgot his name. MDrayton.

The typical rich white people sport is now pretty affordable to the masses. The resorts are so overcrowded.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Sad 2