Note to New Members ×

Should we all just start straight lining? Is getting smoked by the general public from behind the new norm?

slopestar

Honestly green runs are the worst (though cat track returns can be bad).  People with absolutely no skill will bomb them... and then you'll see them start down a steeper blue with trepidation.   It's probably the same people that drive 80 in a 100, but then still drive 80 when they hit town and the limit is only 60kph.  On the slopes there doesn't seem to be a lot of policing, it's pretty chill.  This ain't no country club either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

People are just clueless.  Watch most groups low intermediate people riding together and they will all be within feet of each other like a 5 year old's soccer team around the ball.  I got strafed yesterday by a spring breaker, mere inches off of the nose of my board at the apex of my heelside. I followed her while she basically straightlined to the lift, and told her there was no reason to ride that close to anyone, ever. Her response was along the lines of "whatever" after I told her she about ran over my phucken board. Again, totally clueless.  She blew me off, told me to have a nice day.  I told her to have a $hitty one and try to turn. I have no patience left for obliviots.

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, big mario said:

People are just clueless.  Watch most groups low intermediate people riding together and they will all be within feet of each other like a 5 year old's soccer team around the ball.  I got strafed yesterday by a spring breaker, mere inches off of the nose of my board at the apex of my heelside. I followed her while she basically straightlined to the lift, and told her there was no reason to ride that close to anyone, ever. Her response was along the lines of "whatever" after I told her she about ran over my phucken board. Again, totally clueless.  She blew me off, told me to have a nice day.  I told her to have a $hitty one and try to turn. I have no patience left for obliviots.

Mario

Wish I was there. I would have went off on her in the usual fashion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, big mario said:

I told her to have a $hitty one and try to turn. I have no patience left for obliviots. 

Don’t know about you, but my past few days at The Luv I’ve seen Ski Patrol and Eccentrica Galumbits the same number of times. They may have moved to a Frontier Justice model.

• Haha 2

While out today, it really struck me that almost without exception, nearly every individual on the mountain was riding in a similar way: either straight down the mountain without turning or making very shallow turns (about 1 shallow turn for every 5-6 of my tight, full-C carved turns).

In a world where everyone is doing the same thing and riding in a predictable familiar way, except one weirdo in ski boots on a snowboard, it becomes apparent there's going to be problems.

Stay vigilant, give people room to be stupid, and be prepared to pull off to the side when you see someone too close. I don't know what it's like to carve turns without looking over my shoulder anymore. 

• Like 5

I have been riding motorcycles around 23 years, starting at 16. At 18, legally allowed, I bought my first big displacement bike cause I wanted to feel the rush, but I vividly remember some older biker told me: hey smartass do yourself a favor and ride ALWAYS as if NOBODY could ever see you. I dont know why, but that just stick with me, and it will ever stick. It’s difficult for others to imagine that not being stressful, but it isn’t. I check my 12 (obviously), 3, 6, and 9 every 3-4 seconds, all in an inconscient fluid motion. I know what every mother****er in a car is doing. And that an environment where law applies. But if I get hit from behind and go to heaven/comatose/wheelchair for life/sth broken, will it be any consolation that the guy has to pay a fine or go to jail? NO! Not at all.

I understand general concern but, as others have said, at this point there is not much practical decisions we can make apart from be aware always of who is coming from behind. I am on my second season carving, and sometimes when I start to link turns hard charging I forget to check, but I know it can be done. Just a quick glance uphill, specially coming out of toesides. That is the real only thing that will work for now. 

(It is also worth mentioning it is somewhat difficult to predict how to avoid a carver. It is easy talking from the sofa, but when someone sees a carver his instincts will tell to go through just when he is doing the apex of the turn farthest from his path, but we know what happens next, the carver gets shooted to the other side in less than a second, and the crash happens. I am not blaming us, the carvers, but this sport has that inherent risk, and its due diligence to not pretend everyone will have a prudent behaviour and do our home work) 

Edited by Hug Masso
Adding text
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave for the no passing rule at MCC! It truly is an amazing comfort to be able to "let it flow" w/out ever having to take focus away from my turns to look for OBLIVIOTS!! my new favorite word

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well after being on and off the AIL list for the last 2 years from a drunk skier taking me out and 2 surgeries later my  solution is to go when it's less likely to be busy.

I go out in the middle of the storm for the pow but also because hardly anybody else is crazy enough to be out driving in the storm much less on the mtn. in it!

So night skiing is my haven this season......... last night I might have seen 5 people total on the lift and less on the runs....All Night!

I never checked my 6 once!!

It was marvelous!! 

20240327_190850.jpg

Resized_20240327_190846.jpeg

• Like 2

I can’t do in this weather as I pretty much don’t see at any except sunny conditions so two weeks ago I got hit again at Kirkwood idiot just flew out of woods. I saw him in last moment and hit him with both fists as much as I could in chest to push him aside. I still fell but except to be sore for several days I survived. People are absolutely insane. This weekend another stormy weather so I will not even try to drive there, but on the other hand no idiot on ski will hit me. Not to good winter for me this season

12 minutes ago, Ladia said:

can’t do in this weather as I pretty much don’t see

Another  reason I like night riding......at Boreal it's seriously  lit up like an aircraft landing strip!

Without the lights I'd be blind!   Which makes it tough now as Daylight Savings has changed it's not getting dark up here until after 7pm!   I usually show up around 6pm and the lifts close at 8pm  🙄 

6 hours ago, b0ardski said:
2 hours ago, barryj said:

Well after being on and off the AIL list for the last 2 years from a drunk skier taking me out and 2 surgeries later my  solution is to go when it's less likely to be busy.

I go out in the middle of the storm for the pow but also because hardly anybody else is crazy enough to be out driving in the storm much less on the mtn. in it!

So night skiing is my haven this season......... last night I might have seen 5 people total on the lift and less on the runs....All Night!

I never checked my 6 once!!

It was marvelous!! 

20240327_190850.jpg

Resized_20240327_190846.jpeg

I usually ride 9 - 11 for this precise reason; fewer people, better odds of not getting hit. This time of year, with firmer morning snow and fewer people, is particularly good. 

Edited by TWM
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, b0ardski said:

Thanks Dave for the no passing rule at MCC! It truly is an amazing comfort to be able to "let it flow" w/out ever having to take focus away from my turns to look for OBLIVIOTS!! my new favorite word

(Rewriting a post I that I somehow adeptly deleted)….

I plan to attend MCC next season if for no reason other than to enjoy carving absent constant worry of being hit from uphill. Many other reasons to go, of course, but carving in a no pass environment is a big deal for me.

• Like 1

I check my 6 on almost every toeside. I must have skipped one, and the next one revealed a girl in a power snowplow starfish coming very fast at me. I kept turning and pulled over to the side as she blew past with zero attempt at a direction change from her. 

Terrifying... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Corey said:

I check my 6 on almost every toeside. I must have skipped one, and the next one revealed a girl in a power snowplow starfish coming very fast at me. I kept turning and pulled over to the side as she blew past with zero attempt at a direction change from her. 

Terrifying... 

I think this is related to "saccadic masking".

I sometimes look twice on my toe-side, I just don't trust myself to catch everything.

AND I STILL GET CLOSE CALLS. I am terrified during touron dense periods, like spring break, USASA nationals, etc....

I know some people here trust their vision of catching everything on each turn, and will continue the run with someone behind them. I will almost never do that.

https://navalsafetycommand.navy.mil/Portals/29/LL 18-18 Why Don't We See Motorcycles.pdf

https://scienceofbeingseen.org/2021/11/06/invisible-motorcycles-its-magic/

My take is, if you spend enough time on snow, you are almost guaranteed a collision. I will do as much as I can to prevent it. But statistically, I'm in for another collision. I got whiffed the other day at Loveland from a guy that saw my run. We looked at each other, I started carving, he was watching, watching.... turn turn turn... freeride-world-tour brah straightline pass. I didn't even see him coming despite checking every turn.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Odd Job said:

We looked at each other, I started carving, he was watching, watching.... turn turn turn... freeride-world-tour brah straightline pass. I didn't even see him coming despite checking every turn.

there are many kooks out there and this hero example is one of those types to look out for ('HIGH' alert). just trying to show that they too are a good skier/boarder. BUT ARE THEY? others are the clamshell boarders that approach the mountain like a skier, flocks of college aged weekend warriors, those decked out in high end matching outfits, etc. Colorado folks are just screwed. this probably describes most of the skier traffic. speaking of statistics. always look. heck, if i ever make it to MCC i'll be looking there too, out of habit. riding with Mr. Redman (+others) is on the bucket list.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I think this is related to "saccadic masking".

I sometimes look twice on my toe-side, I just don't trust myself to catch everything.

AND I STILL GET CLOSE CALLS. I am terrified during touron dense periods, like spring break, USASA nationals, etc....

I know some people here trust their vision of catching everything on each turn, and will continue the run with someone behind them. I will almost never do that.

https://navalsafetycommand.navy.mil/Portals/29/LL 18-18 Why Don't We See Motorcycles.pdf

https://scienceofbeingseen.org/2021/11/06/invisible-motorcycles-its-magic/

My take is, if you spend enough time on snow, you are almost guaranteed a collision. I will do as much as I can do prevent it. But statistically, I'm in for another collision. I got whiffed the other day at Loveland from a guy that saw my run. We looked at each other, I started carving, he was watching, watching.... turn turn turn... freeride-world-tour brah straightline pass. I didn't even see him coming despite checking every turn.

In The immortal words of Carvin' MArvin. Maybe you aren't going fast enough?

• Haha 2

Another collision and near collision today, at Copper. No injuries from the collision, but the skier just skied away.

One collision and two near collisions the day before, at Copper. Again, no injuries.

• Like 2

Just as resorts post messages on the lift towers (lower/raise your safety bar, prepare to unload, etc) perhaps post every 5 towers something like:  “Remember: the skier/rider downslope of you has the right of way. If you collide it will be YOUR fault and you will be held responsible.”  Yeah probably too long for a tower but you get the gist. Seeing as nothing is currently being done to reinforce this long standing rule, resorts could start by making it more apparent. 

• Like 1