Note to New Members ×

Should we all just start straight lining? Is getting smoked by the general public from behind the new norm?

slopestar

On 3/28/2024 at 7:34 PM, Corey said:

I check my 6 on almost every toeside. I must have skipped one, and the next one revealed a girl in a power snowplow starfish coming very fast at me. I kept turning and pulled over to the side as she blew past with zero attempt at a direction change from her. 

Terrifying... 

The high-speed starfish, truly the most terrifying thing to see going down a run 😬

By chance was this the close one when we were out at Holiday? Because that one was right out of control, still not sure how you dodged it 😅

The most visible colors are red/orange/yellow.

For any other color, even if it's bright. Watch them ride away. They will look like the trees in the distance, or like the snow. You want to look like neither.

I've seen pretty obvious colors like blues look like trees once they got far enough.

Edited by Odd Job

12 minutes ago, Odd Job said:

The most visible colors are red/orange/yellow.

For any other color, even if it's bright. Watch them ride away. They will look like the trees in the distance, or like the snow. You want to look like neither.

I've seen pretty obvious colors like blues look like trees once they got far enough.

How about black?  The number of people that wear black while night skiing is surprising.  Even with a massive amount of flood lights turned on, black clothes against a black horizon is never good fashion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, st_lupo said:

How about black?  The number of people that wear black while night skiing is surprising.  Even with a massive amount of flood lights turned on, black clothes against a black horizon is never good fashion.

Black looks like trees, even in daylight. I've watched people in darker clothing coming toward me. They just look like a moving tree or rock until they get closer.

In a number of collisions/close-calls I've been in, during my life time, the person mis-judges the speed/trajectory (they have seen me, and thought they were good to go).

I'm going to assume that the impact speed would've been higher if they just never saw me. And the close-calls would've been closer, or impacts.

14 hours ago, Board Doctor said:

Anyone use a flashing tail light on their helmet?  Like you see on bicycle/motorcycle helmets?

Seriously considered it for night riding.

Daytime, I'm with @Odd Job been wearing red snow clothing for 10+ years. Photographers know that red catches the eye in any image.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 9:44 PM, martock_carver said:

By chance was this the close one when we were out at Holiday? Because that one was right out of control, still not sure how you dodged it 😅

Yup, that was the one! 

• Like 1

@Board Doctor The situation for a road cyclist is quite a bit different compared to skiers & riders on a ski slope.

On the road the light shines in the direction of the traffic behind you in the lane. The vehicles are all travelling in the same direction.

On snow in daylight you would need a very bright light that blinks in all directions to add significantly to visual impact of bright clothing. At night even a very modest amount of flashing red light will significantly improve your visibility from a good distance.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:25 AM, SunSurfer said:

Daytime, I'm with @Odd Job been wearing red snow clothing for 10+ years. Photographers know that red catches the eye in any image.

Maybe it’s time to switch to yellow, or start dressing as a fire truck:

https://www.apa.org/topics/safety-design/fire-engine-color-safety#:~:text=Red may be the traditional,to be involved in accidents.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

In the past, I found myself steering well clear of tubby skiers in jeans and a Cowboys (or Chiefs) Starter jackets. Maybe that’s the magic formula?

Gaper suits and sports jersey's. The worst....

I stay away from Ajax, Snowmass and Highlands, there are people Skiing and Snowboarding, who just carry way to much speed to correct their path before Impact...Powder days, go anywhere, but Carving side to side is an accident coming to get you...even at Milk I have been run over and knocked out twice in the last 6 years, both times Straighteners, then after I came back to life, they both said...You Have no Right to TURN LIKE THAT !!! a lot of physical therapy and Exercises to correct the results both times...

• Sad 4

On 4/27/2024 at 4:53 PM, softbootsurfer said:

I stay away from Ajax, Snowmass and Highlands, there are people Skiing and Snowboarding, who just carry way to much speed to correct their path before Impact...Powder days, go anywhere, but Carving side to side is an accident coming to get you...even at Milk I have been run over and knocked out twice in the last 6 years, both times Straighteners, then after I came back to life, they both said...You Have no Right to TURN LIKE THAT !!! a lot of physical therapy and Exercises to correct the results both times...

Jeez!  These stories seem to happen enough (granted, in our echo chamber), what is the stance for the ski areas involved?!  This can’t be a good look for them, or are we such rare unicorns that they just DGAF?