Note to New Members ×

Should we all just start straight lining? Is getting smoked by the general public from behind the new norm?

slopestar

White one piece suit with pink stripe - should be enough that someone knows who that is?!

Should offer an anonymous tip line.  Fact she didn't stick around speaks volumes as to their character 😬

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I would say one of the causes of this bullshit is because snowsports is too affordable now.

Because wealthy people never make poor decisions? 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I would say one of the causes of this bullshit is because snowsports is too affordable now.

I don't know about that. I see a lot more entitled-a**hole-driving moves on the roads from people in BMWs, Teslas, Porsches than old buckets. Dodge Ram drivers seem to merit special consideration, however.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's because making a product available to the masses (making it cheaper) means more crowding. The chances for collision go up. 

There is also something to be said for failure to accumulate wealth in a capitalist country with few social guarantees, when it is so easy to do so, especially if you're not a minority. This is not taking into account being a trust funder.

Edited by Odd Job

Hmmm, alternatively not over developing prime skiing land, not overselling passes, not offering every luxury and convenience under the sun for the entire family, and enforcing a zero tolerance to bullshit on the slopes would be my preference. 

Chilli in a drafty cabin served by a group of volunteers, half sketchy chair lifts without safety bars, only t-bars to the very top, deathtrap-one and a half lane road to the base, Subarus in the parking with skis and boards bungied to the rack, not a condo in sight and God's own stash of powder and glades.  Long live the dirtbag skiers/boarders that truly burn for the sport.  The dorks that complain that they can't get Wagyu beef on their burger in the lodge can get bent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Odd Job said:

It's because making a product available to the masses (making it cheaper) means more crowding. The chances for collision go up. 

There is also something to be said for failure to accumulate wealth in a capitalist country with few social guarantees, when it is so easy to do so, especially if you're not a minority. This is not taking into account being a trust funder.

wealth did not get me 40yrs of season passes and thousands of days of skiing/boarding before I was old and tired.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, b0ardski said:

y'all I'con hers still gonna need us dirtbags to spin the wheels and stuff the butts and make the snow!

They should increase the Ikon price to $2k or $3k a pop to limit the crowds and increase your wages. I would pay that if it meant a better experience. 

I'm going to need to focus on my career again if it starts approaching $10K.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but here in Tahoe the Required Parking Reservations for weekends and holidays at Palisades has made a huge difference in the total amount of masses and Asses on the hill!

If your up here on the weekend you already know it's going to be crowded but now It's comfortably..... crowded.

I went up yesterday/Friday (No Parking Reservation Required) and it was crazy crowded for a Fri.   When I was coming out at 11:30am there were still a line of cars backed up a mile long still trying to get in!    

@barryj I call Fridays "remote worker flex day". Most people cannot handle full time living in a mountain town, so they commute up or stay in their second homes or long-rented air-bnb's for the long weekend.

It's almost unbearable in Colorado, and I hear the average weekend in Tahoe is like a holiday weekend here.

If not for the LCI, my riding days would only be Mon-Thurs. It's Sun-Thurs atm.

The real close call I had this season which would've been a life-changer, happened the one day I chose to ride on a Friday.

Edited by Odd Job

16 minutes ago, Odd Job said:

close call I had this season which would've been a life-changer, happened the one day I chose to ride on a Friday.

Yeah I hear ya OJ.     I've been on the AIL so long I forgot that Fri. is the new Sat.! :smashfrea

Won't be doing that again!  :freak3:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Odd Job said:

The real close call I had this season which would've been a life-changer, happened the one day I chose to ride on a Friday.

While I wouldn’t consider myself an Old Testament Guy, there’s undeniable appeal to eye-for-an-eye justice in cases like these. It would spice up the Skier Responsibility Code. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, lordmetroland said:

While I wouldn’t consider myself an Old Testament Guy, there’s undeniable appeal to eye-for-an-eye justice in cases like these. It would spice up the Skier Responsibility Code. 

I would like to drop a bar soap without consequence, and keep that privilege.

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2024 at 12:16 PM, Odd Job said:

They should increase the Ikon price to $2k or $3k a pop to limit the crowds and increase your wages. I would pay that if it meant a better experience. 

It’s funny how people used to whine that skiing/snowboarding was too expensive and elitist, so Ikon/Epic/etc came along and said OK HERE! And now people whine that skiing/snowboarding is too accessible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Jack M said:

It’s funny how people used to whine that skiing/snowboarding was too expensive and elitist, so Ikon/Epic/etc came along and said OK HERE! And now people whine that skiing/snowboarding is too accessible.

Winter sports is definitely more of middle class sport now. Breckenridge right now is so crowded I feel like I'm in the Belt Parkway (NYC) while grocery shopping.

I specifically went from almost flunking out of college, to graduating purely to snowboard more.

• Like 2

Super foggy today, so I had my Freecarver 6000 on a green run (which are supposedly slow runs).  A skier BLASTS past me.  At the bottom I hear him in the lift line saying that there was a snowboarder cutting back and forth that he just had to get past.  I was a couple people behind, but contemplated saying (yo dumbass, green runs are slow runs!).

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Board Doctor said:

Super foggy today, so I had my Freecarver 6000 on a green run (which are supposedly slow runs).  A skier BLASTS past me.  At the bottom I hear him in the lift line saying that there was a snowboarder cutting back and forth that he just had to get past.  I was a couple people behind, but contemplated saying (yo dumbass, green runs are slow runs!).

Aren't you in CASI instructor central? People still do that there?!