Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2019/2020

Kurt Swanson

So... One of the lifties is out riding. He's a high functioning autistic young man in his late teens.  I'm always friendly to him... we had rode up earlier today... I guess he was feeling more comfortable round #2.

The story starts in the lift line that he's scheduled to work at 2pm until close today and open to close tomorrow so he's getting some laps in before his shift.  He then tells me how his mom is coming to the hill soon and he'll have to watch the four kids (his siblings) for a bit before his shift.

He then tells me how his mom threw a stick at her ex-boyfriend, missed, and hit his younger brother in the eye.  He then talks about the plastic eye and how it falls out time to time, how his sibling just pops it back into his "horror hole" and this is the reason he has to watch over them.

... it was a long chair ride.

Edited by lonbordin
did I ever mention Paoli, Indiana is a different place?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

You're not goin' EC on us now are you, Corey?

I would love some proper EC carves to be in my bag of tricks.  Not there yet...  The EC movie Stoked is still one of my all-time favorites! 

14 hours ago, lonbordin said:

... it was a long chair ride.

I've had a few of those, being that I mostly ride the singles line. Knowing there's only 8 minutes to go makes it more entertaining than frustrating. 

Big Mario on the phone with wifey after the session. He tells his wife what an awesome day it was and that is why we were running a bit later than normal. He says “ we had to tell each other how awesome we were”.

she asks how many on hill, which was 7 carvers and a handful of others. She responds with “that must have been quite the circle jerk”.

I had a to LOL at that!

ink

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 3/4/2020 at 2:28 PM, jng said:

Monoskier pulled up behind me in line....

I had one say "Nice board! But now I'm not the biggest freak on the mountain."

I think he was being genuine...

Edited by Lurch
Would a pink/lime onesie lie?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On two separate occasions rode the lift with soft booters.

First pointed out my carving board and was interested in talking about carving.

Second looked at my board and said “ Carving board ... beautiful!” Turned out to be an instructor who enjoyed riding with hard boots when he could get time.

I've been riding my Donek Flux a whole lot this season (and last).  Been to Sunday River, Sugarbush, Tremblant, Stratton, Loon, Ragged, Pats Peak, Killington and more.  I get the same reaction everywhere and often.  In almost every lift line (especially in the gondi line since I'm holding it upright) someone says, "What kind of board is that?" or "I've never seen a board that wide." (28cm) or "I've never seen a board with that shape."  The people I'm often with have heard it so much they've started making up stories.

8D40A80B-A0DE-449E-BE4B-BEED3A4D8CAA.jpeg

On 3/8/2020 at 7:22 AM, Rusty Edges said:

The park has the best groom later in the day.  If you don;t mind the odd obstacle....

the park at 49*North is always last to be groomed in the morning; last week on a bluebird day, I got there just as the rope dropped, ollied over it  as the patroller rolled it up and laid the sweetest carves of the day around the rails, spines, and jumps like a super giant slalom course in perfect untracked cord:eplus2:

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, b0ardski said:

the park at 49*North is always last to be groomed in the morning; last week on a bluebird day, I got there just as the rope dropped, ollied over it  as the patroller rolled it up and laid the sweetest carves of the day around the rails, spines, and jumps like a super giant slalom course in perfect untracked cord:eplus2:

I swear Gunsmoke over at June Mountain is one of the last to be groomed. I know it gets a little more sun but even in spring freeze thaw it's not super frozen over fist thing in the morning. I like to think it is because it's one of the best carving runs around and they do it just for us carvers that frequent there..... 

While standing at the ski school meeting point at my local hill, waiting for my boys lesson to start a random snowboard instructor walked by and said “Nice Wood”!  I said “thank you” as I was holding a murdered out Thirst Superconductor.   

Thank you Mark Miller at Thirst for making “nice wood”!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

This is all I got...no lift line, no chair, not even a snowboard...mods, if this is in appropriate, you know what to do.

on the fatbike today finding sanity in as much snow and ice I could find (and avoiding mud bogs)...and roll up to a big 'ole log across the main trail that someone had graciously put a smaller one in front to allow a nice rollover.  Popped up the front and unweighted the back to clear it and got a "yeahhh, all right" and "cool" from the kids a good "social distance" away.

I pretend the studs on my tires are my edges when I'm cruising the ice.  I then hit the brakes to see my carves...get it...literal lines carved in the ice...sigh...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:34 AM, monodude said:

Riding my LaCroix Skwal @ Mt. Ashland a couple days ago. First lifty tells me I can't ride with only 1 ski on. Still dubious after I pointed out the second binding and made me wait while he called his supervisor... Get to the top and lifty did a full stop thinking I dropped my other ski.

Had another Lifty seriously question my "homemade" ski and tried to bar me from riding. I googled Skwals to show him that they actually do exist. 

Clipping in at the top in front of a snowboard lesson group several of them wondered what in the world my Skwal is. The instructor confidently informed them it was a very old school "UniSki" 

Interesting response from the lifties. I spent a good bit of time there (Mt A is my home mt) on a teleboard (skwal w/telemark bindings) and the worst I got was curiosity. Kids these days...🙄

• Like 1