Kurt Swanson

Heard it in the lift line - 2019/2020

So, I'm finishing a run at my local hill and a very young woman ahead of me in the lift line says "Oh you're The Beautiful One who has been "paint-brushing" the hill with your hands!" She totally caught me off-guard with that comment, I mean how do you respond to that? The best part though, was the fact that my wife and two good friends were standing next to me when she said it.

So I was called The Beautiful One the rest of the day.

Edited by Kurt Swanson
  • Haha 9

19 hours ago, Trenchman said:

I can confirm this, Kurt’s wife was a little put off by him being called the beautiful one!

Cat Fight!

On 11/17/2019 at 11:58 AM, Kurt Swanson said:

So I was called The Beautiful One the rest of the day.

:biggthump  This deserves a title upgrade...

• Haha 3

On 11/19/2019 at 5:51 AM, Jack M said:

:biggthump  This deserves a title upgrade...

Nice work Jack!

Mario

• Like 1

Two beautiful's, 1 elegent, a Monty Python reference, and a thumbs up from patrol.

One of the most awesome comments ever after I hit a grooming ridge hidden under some fluff, blew out my toeside and slid into some b net by the park, I muttered " wasn't expecting that" The soft booter that was just above my liitle biff heard me, and replied "kinda like the Spanish inquisition"  laughed my ass off.

2 separate members of the telluride ski team at different times commented on the beautiful riding, and trench's Ink, Ice and myself were making, a random skier that joined us on the chair said we all looked so elegant going down the hill. And finally, a patroller slid up as I was pulled off to the side waiting for an opening, and said, with a thumbs up "nice big carves you guys are leaving today"

On the whole , a much more pleasant bunch of encounters than our usual " that there's a speed board" that we usually here from the camo clad KanTexaHomen  holiday visitors.

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

i had the ski team coach on a busy day sit down next to me while I was eating nukem ramen and  say " you make really elegant turns, fun to watch"; I  was dumb struck being a dirty old hippy skiing on a snowboard

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, big mario said:

looked so elegant

Their goggles must have been foggy.  Let's be honest.  I deeply admire y'alls riding, but it's more like bulls on parade than ballet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Their goggles must have been foggy.  Let's be honest.  I deeply admire y'alls riding, but it's more like bulls on parade than ballet.

Y'alls.  Is that plural, or a possesive?

Mario

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I thought "y'all" was singular and "all y'all" was plural.  So "all y'all's" would be plural possessive.

Nah, y'all is plural for a smaller defined group of people.  All y'all is very plural used for larger crowds.  Us southern born are all about the nuance.  Not to diverge the topic too much, but how do all y'all Canadians address a group of people?

17 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

how do all y'all Canadians address a group of people

That would be rude to publicly call out people, so we quietly and politely keep to ourselves.  😉  

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Not to diverge the topic too much, but how do all y'all Canadians address a group of people?

Usually with “everyone”, “everybody” or “guys”.  Guys would be casual for a small group, as in “hey guys, how’s it going?” The others could be any size group larger than a couple. 

I'm not a native English speaker, but I always imagined "y'all" being short for "you all", so plural..

Also I'm still learning to carve so no nice comments on my cornering. Yet. 🙂

3 hours ago, cin said:

I'm not a native English speaker, but I always imagined "y'all" being short for "you all", so plural..

Also I'm still learning to carve so no nice comments on my cornering. Yet. 🙂

I agree, it's plural. We say "y'all are" (in most cases). There are probably some people who would say "y'all is", but I think that's the exception. 

To paraphrase the meme: English in’t a language,  its three languages stacked on top of each other and wearing a trench coat.

79118934-9177-479F-8C3C-A41E77B8E3C6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@st_lupo you missed

slough (pronounced either sluff (to shed), OR sloo or slou - rhymes with cow - (wet swampy ground)
thorough
thought

And it's far more than 3 languages stacked on each other now. Just about every country in the old British Empire has had words absorbed into English.

Season #51 in Aspen

1st day back...1st ride up Gondola...in bucket and 3 boarders hop in at last second with heavy breathing 🌎 🏂 👽 😱

after 5 minutes of looking at my bindings, one says  " What is That ? " I explained... 😀

board 51.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

Season #51 in Aspen

1st day back...1st ride up Gondola...in bucket and 3 boarders hop in at last second with heavy breathing 🌎 🏂 👽 😱

after 5 minutes of looking at my bindings, one says  " What is That ? " I explained... 😀

board 51.jpg

the leather straps and bolts really do accentuate the Frankenstein monster look 😄

This was a first, 3 dudes getting off the lift as I rode by, and they say look, an alpine snowboarder!  Maybe we are on the brink of something?

• Like 1

There is no lift line at Milk, however today over on WesB, 2 new lifties at the bottom, ask what's Cold Surf? ( there are stickers all over the wesB lifts😀)  and then Do You Surf? Stoked, these two Groms are from Hawaii, Ohau, Chuns Reef, North shore stuff, skaters as well, we talked story...then Milkman pulled in and we set them Straight on Dakine Surfing at Milk...they be Stoked Bra!!

• Like 6

2 different times I had someone in the lift line tell me that they skied into my trench and almost wiped out.  I took it as a compliment.

• Like 3