Note to New Members ×

No Friends on a Corduroy Day

Jack M

Anybody else get this feeling?  Like the old saying "no friends on a powder day", basically meaning no waiting around for any slow-poke nonsense, even if it's a friend.  Gotta get after it while the gettin' is good!  You have to pee?  Your buckle broke?  Catch ya later!  If I wake up to see blue skies, low winds, and fresh cord, I get fired up with that same rush of urgency.  I have to check myself because very few people around me are experiencing the same thing.  I have to make an effort to keep cool while inside I'm about to burst.  I get frustrated when I see multiple doubles ahead of me in line who refuse to quad-up.  And other stuff like that.  Just one more way we are unusual and misunderstood I guess!  What do you experience on an epic corduroy day?

• Like 1

Yes... groomer days and powder days alike...

@johnasmo is the best riding buddy ever... he is that excited to ride every single day.  -20f, 30mph winds, 34f and rain, freezing rain that makes you look like a glazed donut, 1 chair or less visibility or any combination... if you ask him for a ride report, “Best Day Ever!” 

In Montana, except for a few weekends a year, hills are mostly free of people, so it is easy to get lots of laps in a day.  

This need to ride and get lots of laps in is why I am organizing the Montucky Clear CUT.  To be surrounded by like minded people, positive Energy and a ski area all to ourselves!

• Like 2

Around here powder gets eaten up in a hurry - like 2 hours it is pretty much gone. The shear number of people trying to "get the virgin cord" is substantially less. So, it lasts longer because it is more durable and there are fewer folks trying to get their licks in. 

I think the biggest difference between fresh powder and fresh cord is that one can find little stashes of powder and have a pretty good time. To get the best fresh cord, you need treeline-to-treeline and all the way down the slope (little stashes don't work). 

That “Squeak” on the first step onto the base area cord. Ya, no friends. I think I enjoy cycling runs more where I get to see my friends hanging turns under the chair. Every one loves the “hoots” and “hollers” from friends and strangers from the chair.  I ride with my wife a lot and she is my favorite riding buddy but some days I’m all throttle and she understands

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 3

The best run is always the very first, especially if you're up there early enough to be on the first chair up the mountain. Strangely, I seem to be almost always on that first chair......

An appetiser. Fresh cord from August 2018, at Cardrona in Central Otago, New Zealand. Not long to wait for those in the Northern hemisphere.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 5

As I am usually on 1st chair and the only Hardbooter out there, it's no problem getting the groom to myself.....especially if there's even a hint of freshies.  While everybody else is off hunting the few inches of new pow I'm chewing up the groom :1luvu:

...but it is fun to meet up with the occasional Alpine rider for some runs and gear talk on the chair  :biggthump 

14 hours ago, davekempmeister said:

what about family.    No Family on a Corduroy Day ?

just kidding.  thankfully, my kids are self-starters (when it comes to skiing anyway).

That's kind of my point - I want to invoke the no friends on a powder day rules on a corduroy day, but I can't fully.  Fortunately my skiing wife is my riding buddy and she likes to get after it too.  My teenagers are also self starters and have their own agendas that don't require my involvement.  Even still, I have to keep the urgency in check.  On perfect 10 carving days my wife gets it and will offer to meet me after a run if she needs a bio break.

Also we got our first dog last year - that added one more obstacle between me and the sweet groom in the mornings.

2 hours ago, pmorita said:

Guess you folks don't have kids, friends with kids and friends with friends that have never been boarding before.  The saying is no friends on cord day after the rental shop, ski school drop off, replacing a lost left mitten and 11:00 lunch.

Been there.  I basically resigned from ever getting first tracks or much snow time in general for about 5 years after our first kid. C'est la vie.

59DE4409-1D35-4A3B-AA7F-406832B4BF28.thumb.jpeg.181d514548f172a1a7f247ce98e63d1d.jpeg

Here’s a sticker my buddy John made up. Sums it up.

We also love groomer days. Power days are great, but it seems like every powder day is an aggrofrenzy. Also ,good carving days remain smooth much longer than pow days . It’s all about the smooth. (Except for mister bumpy ride). ?

Edited by digger jr
  • Like 2

Until recently I've been in the stage where I specifically have been looking for others to ride with to progress my riding, contradicting this philosophy entirely by waiting at the chair when I see another hardbooter I can connect with... I'm trying to shift my mindset now and focus on me without worrying about others, especially on perfect days. 

• Like 1

In general, I don't like waiting for others - regardless of conditions. I like to ride a my pace. That doesn't mean fast or slow - just the pace that works for me. I also don't like others waiting on me.  

Riding in large groups gets very unwieldy. The group tends to move a the speed of the lowest common denominator. My favorite is to ride with a couple of others who very nearly match my pace. I like to go, go, go until I'm exhausted and then quit for the day. 

Lunch? Almost never. I'm usually spent by one o'clock or so - so why stop for lunch? The exception might be at the sessions at Aspen. There is no rush to get back home so I can ride later and take it easy. 

On 11/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, Buell said:

My winter home mountain, June Mountain, is so quiet on groomer days there is no need to froth. No one is there, no one is coming!

Love June for that reason!!  Been there several times and still found corduroy in the afternoon!

Here first run mostly means perfect groom...perfectly HARD!  Tracks can't be made until 10ish am.  Until then its a foot vibration 'fest, and don't you dare hit the floor.

I use the time to take some warm up runs, get things all in order and make sure I'm on the hill ready to go when things loosen up.  Soft first runs your speak of must be amazing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rjnakata said:

Here first run mostly means perfect groom...perfectly HARD!  Tracks can't be made until 10ish am.  Until then its a foot vibration 'fest, and don't you dare hit the floor ...

Same in Europe generally, it's a different deal in North America where they time when they actually plough the stuff to try to avoid getting it frozen, as far as I can tell. People at Snowbird complain when they get that wrong. Over here you need to be very sensitive to the temperature and condition of the pistes. Typically you'd need to figure out which get the sun first and use that to work out where to go.