Note to New Members ×

No Friends on a Corduroy Day

Jack M

Frozen spring cord is the worst. There's been more than one spring day where the crew has gone out, edged down to the bottom, and gone back in for coffee until 10.30. Putting a hand down on that stuff is like riding on a cheese grater. (Just thinking about that scraping noise makes my teeth hurt).

Maybe we're spoiled here for crowds, but I don't rush on a cord day. Powder, absolutely. I'd get up early all year for that. But if you know which runs to hit, the cord here will stick around for most of the day. 

yeah, we left coasters have a different perspective when it comes to temps & the associated snow conditions impact. i come out to calgary every xmas, and seriously don't have enough clothes to keep warm in the mountains, and the snow is more often than not bulletproof. you're a hard bunch. 

that said, the carving thing has certainly opened my eyes to the glory of fresh cord. the pow vs cord tossup is novel, but real.   

Xmas the last couple of years has been cold even by our standards. Unless it's an epic pow day, if the forecast calls for anything cooler than -20C I'm staying in bed.

I was at Silver Star last year for Xmas, and on the front in the sunshine was lovely. But I took the longest run on the hill, all the way to the bottom on the back, and I have no idea how the lifty down there didn't freeze to death.

13 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

There’s a difference between being active in the cold and standing around.  I’ve gone running in -30 and been fine in wool socks and sneakers, but standing around for any length of time in that weather I want my heavyweight Sorels. 

Yes, hugely. Transceiver practice for example (even though you have to kind of run a bit) is always really chilling and particularly hard to do in very cold conditions. Most people just don't generate enough heat in that circumstance and will get frozen extremities very easily.

23 minutes ago, dredman said:

My friends do not approve of me wearing corduroy.  So yes... no friends on a corduroy day. 

If you were to touch the knee of your corduroy pants on fresh corduroy, what would happen?

1. A rip in the space-time continuum
  2. A horrendous noise 
  3. A sudden stop like you just touched industrial velcro sides together

I'm not going to risk any of these.  Safety first!  

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Redman is turning into the carving equivalent of Pattie Gonia. Can he rock a pair of Deeluxes with 6 inch heels? To go with the velvet and corduroy onesie! 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/14/pattie-gonia-drag-queen-mountaineer

Edited by SunSurfer
😉
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...