Note to New Members ×

Is bomber out of business?

Calle

9 hours ago, davekempmeister said:

If I'd hosted someone in my home (gratis) for years and then hit on some difficulties, the last thing I would want to hear from them would be something tantamount to;  "what's going to happen to me?"                               

Maybe it's not the best analogy... More like I provide land and say lets build a house where everyone involved can live. Then people come and build the house, bringing their own materialas and free labour, while I still sell the meals to the hungry ones. Then I somehow loose my rights to land and a new owner demolishes the house... 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the news.  Hope the community here can stick together through this.

If things are as grim as it's starting to sound, Bomber's online store status did cross my mind.  I'm not sure if it is currently capable of accepting payments, but it does appear like the store is up and running.  As outsiders, I'm sure there is a lot of information we don't know.  If the reality gets to the point where incoming orders are unlikely to be fulfilled, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that the store would be shut down on the site?

HI All, this is truly sad news, for Jim and Angie, and our sport in general.  It is never good to have a huge supporter, retailer and manufacturer in a fringe sport have this happen.  It is scary for all of us!   I have been keeping quiet as it was not my place to discuss this, nor did I want to infringe on Bomber. I have always made sure I never attempt to sell anything on their site, as that just isn't right  But since there are questions, Jack and Shred are correct, I can now sell boots into the US.  My site has been updated but I will note I have not gotten boot stock yet.  Hope to have it before the end of November.  I don't do preorders, so please sign up for my newsletter and i will let everyone know when they are in.  Wishing the best to Jim and Angie and it looks like the forum will survive in some way!

www.yyzcanuck.com

• Like 5

11 hours ago, BlueB said:

Maybe it's not the best analogy... More like I provide land and say lets build a house where everyone involved can live. Then people come and build the house, bringing their own materialas and free labour, while I still sell the meals to the hungry ones. Then I somehow loose my rights to land and a new owner demolishes the house... 

Well said. And when that happens, the occupants accustomed to a certain degree of stability in their lives will react, and many will react poorly.

Frustration, and the realization that one is not 'in control' needs an outlet, and that urge cares little for social grace.

Sort of like homeowners yelling at linemen after an ice storm, when they have to do without the daily amenities afforded by power.

Meanwhile, the tech is working overtime in crap conditions.

21 hours ago, davekempmeister said:

Jim and Angie (I have never met them) deserve much better than some of the conjecture broadcast in certain comments.  Folks really do shoot from the hip.    

Maybe I am just being sentimental but I think a couple brought together by snowboarding (and Bomber) should get the benefit of any gracious efforts that we can muster, as a community.

There may be a few who are owed some $ or an answer but they owe most of us nothing.  If anything, most of us owe them.

If I'd hosted someone in my home (gratis) for years and then hit on some difficulties, the last thing I would want to hear from them would be something tantamount to;  "what's going to happen to me?"

Make no mistake, a forum like this one is a sales device, and if so desired, a means of identifying and responding to the wants and needs of a niche sport.  As such, Bomber, et al. should be deriving as much (or more) value from the daily b'lather as those posting.

If  you're dealing with a small market, and producing a durable product, listening and responding to that market is crucial to survival.

Speaking as a manufacturer, It's nice to hear when people like my product. However, it's the failures I need to hear about in order to make improvements, and do a better job for the customer.

In the absence of constructive criticism, one has a stagnant ecosystem with limited growth. 

And that means eventual demise. (E.g., the ski industry has recently noted that it takes two millennials to replace one departing boomer. That can't be good.)

With luck, things will get sorted, and Bomber/BOL will emerge from this difficulty as a stronger organism.  

Meanwhile, introspection.

Edited by Beckmann AG

9 hours ago, Gabe T said:

Sorry to hear the news.  Hope the community here can stick together through this.

If things are as grim as it's starting to sound, Bomber's online store status did cross my mind.  I'm not sure if it is currently capable of accepting payments, but it does appear like the store is up and running.  As outsiders, I'm sure there is a lot of information we don't know.  If the reality gets to the point where incoming orders are unlikely to be fulfilled, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that the store would be shut down on the site?

Yes, very reasonable. catek.com's online store is still up though.  Reason is the one of the 1st things to go when the sh!t hits the fan.

6 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Make no mistake, a forum like this one is a sales device, and if so desired, a means of identifying and responding to the wants and needs of a niche sport.  As such, Bomber, et al. should be deriving as much (or more) value from the daily b'lather as those posting.

Well put! I really appreciate this site too but at the end of the day it is exactly that;  " a sales device".

Fin was way ahead of the curve when he created this community, online years ago.

In addition to creating the community; BoL has done a great job of keeping the Forum relatively vendor neutral.

I think this has been key to BoL being the center of the online carving universe (at least in NA) for so long.

I have never met Jim or Angie but I have met many people on this forum who have. 

They all to a person have stood up to support them; for now that's more than good enough for me!

//P

16 hours ago, Dan said:

Speaking of the used marketplace, I have been enjoying the hell out of the Monster you sold to me about...must be 5 or so years ago?

:biggthump

Awesome!  I've gone a bit of a different direction of late.  Had bruce make me a softish extrawide bx/softie carver last spring.  Got about 4 days on it.  I am still quite rusty (after a four year hiatus as a result of following my son's HS wrestling career all winter), but it's a hoot and doesn't require the speed or real estate of my longer stuff.  got a set of power plates for this season too!

5 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

That’s another great reason that whatever online community emerges from this ought to secure the rights to the forum and the content for the community.  I feel bad about the financial troubles of Bomber especially given the effort Jim and Angie put into trying to grow the sport.  But I’m pretty sure that for most of us, the forums, the freindships and the collected knowledge go beyond the business concerns of Bomber, and it would be too bad if that whole history got lost due to legal issues.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

Why the f*** do people keep calling me Marvin...?

Wrong plot, not Pulp Fiction, lordmetroland.

More Marvin, the Paranoid Android. 

"Do you want me to sit in a corner and rust or just fall apart where I'm standing?"

Edited by SunSurfer

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:25 PM, barryj said:

I would never have posted this previously, out of respect to Fin/Jim ..... but these are different times..........

I get my Deluxe boots from blue-tomato.com .   it's cheaper .......even with International shipping. 

One plus one for Blue Tomato...  not so much anymore but a few years ago...what a deal! yep even with their inexpensive international shipping... volume ..vollumne, voalume.. I guess.