Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

On 11/2/2016 at 3:10 AM, corey_dyck said:

Wow, that's great! My favorite video for this season so far, regardless of boots. 

This is stuff that some people claimed couldn't be done just a few years ago. Are there new soft boots that are hardboot-stiff? Or just some insane talent? 

I paused the video a 3 seconds and it shows this company for the boots. They are in Japan so might not be available. http://www.cross-five.com/

Heel and toe for turning!

Especially since for spins and jumps the front side spin is when you are rotating your chest into the direction of travel, towards the heel edge and initially turning your back uphill, while for turning most of snowboarding people would call that back side turn. Confusing... 

So yeah, front/back for spins, heel/toe for turning. 

Edited by BlueB

howdy

to add to the confusion one of the "pure carve" rider called carving the endless bottom turn which is somewhat true.

if your regular foot and dropping in on a right hand wave, you'll be on your toeside, if your dropping in on a left hand wave you'll be on your heelside.

then when you cutback... ha ha... hey, it's all good, if you don't know your left from right, there's always ski school...

• Haha 1

Yea, Cliff, Joey, Mike, Larry, Larry,  and all the others had certain waves they would all ride, over and over...climbing and dropping is what it is called as a surfer, regardless of the Wave being a left or Right...Climb and Drop, Climb and Drop, Climb and Drop until you hit the beach, or the bottom of the lift.. saying Toeside is less complex than Frontside or somehow explains what we are doing better seems rather picky,  if you like it better than use it, but to say it is less confusing to people who don't know either term to begin with, when someone tells them the term, that is what they will use, that is how I learned the terms and passed them on to others, saying Frontside or Toeside will not matter as they are frozen with fear and trepidation as you push them into the wave or say goodby as they start down from the top of the lift...all 4 mountains here have Waves on them, Waves that I go straight to when I get off the lift, this is why I usually ride alone, I am a Greedy human being...and first tracks on any wave put a smile on ones face...

44 minutes ago, softbootsailer said:

saying Toeside is less complex than Frontside or somehow explains what we are doing better seems rather picky,  

It is less confusing, few peoplrincluding mysekf already explained why, but you chose not to hear the reasoning. 

Let's try one more time... The odds are that person was already exposed to jibbing via media or riding that style already. In spins the "frontside" means exactly opposite rotation from what you want to call "frontside" turn. This is unnecessary complication. 

Over and above, CASI and I believe AASI, adopted "heelside" and "toeside" turning long time ago. 

Got to love Bomber, admirable video thread becomes riding technique discussion first, then switches to terminology technicalities :)

We really need snow... 

21 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Let's try one more time... The odds are that person was already exposed to jibbing via media or riding that style already. In spins the "frontside" means exactly opposite rotation from what you want to call "frontside" turn. This is unnecessary complication. 

So you are saying it is confusing because of spins when jibbing?

Wait a minute...you have to Spin in the directiont you are turning, right? do you turn right and spin your upper body to the left? 

Boris, a backside spin starting from your normal stance is toward the toes (clockwise for a regular rider), which is the same direction as a backside off the lip in surfing or a backside air out of a ramp in skating. That all lines up and is clear for anyone that skates or surfs AFAIK. 

OTOH saying "toeside" is so clear that it requires no further explanation at all, anyone who has ridden a snowboard for a day understands what you mean. 

18 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Boris, a backside spin starting from your normal stance is toward the toes (clockwise for a regular rider), which is the same direction as a backside off the lip in surfing or a backside air out of a ramp in skating. That all lines up and is clear for anyone that skates or surfs AFAIK. 

OTOH saying "toeside" is so clear that it requires no further explanation at all, anyone who has ridden a snowboard for a day understands what you mean. 

That's exactly what I'm saying. 

Never saw any Pure Carvers spinning or jibbing...haven't seen any racers spinning or jibbing, though I am sure they could if they wanted...I am sure it was FIS, PSIA, AACI, or some Organization that changed it from Frontside to Toeside, the same folks who put everybody in a duck stance...Poppen, Sims, Burton, Dupraz, Milosivich and the others wanted to Surf down the mountain, that was before the 1986 contest in Breckenridge that really started the Skateboard moves with the pipes and Jumps and of course the first edition of Transworld Bla Bla Bla...but your right guys, enough of this dribble...I am Stoked for the season to start so we can get some turns like the Vids. that started this thread

Let it Snow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Boards are Gray Desperadoes from a Japanese company, http://www.graysnowboards.co.jp/1617catalog.html#desperado_ti

IMG_4213.PNG

Bindings in Japan are all over the spectrum, but you will see a lot of riders using Flux, Union, and Yonex (previously Shimano) step-in system called Accublade http://www.yonex.co.jp/sp/snowboards/bindings/

IMG_4214.PNG

Edited by svr
  • Like 1