Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

1:03 is awesome! But most of that is not carving! They're just laying down and sliding straight with their edge chattering on the snow. 

makes my rickety ankles hurt just watching that in slomo

mario

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am so late to this conversation but, can I add that what I have been watching in the videos is not so much rider input but, snowboard rigidity? Both torsional and longitudinal rigidity in the boards seem so apparent to me. Add to this, are the soft binders and boots more supportive?  And the video where the board is oscillating during the carve and the riders ankles are just asking to be broken, am I the only one who sees this?

I sound like a wet blanket but, I too would love to carve better in softies. I just don't see it happening without better equipment (i.e., bindings, boots, and boards). The human body can adapt to make it appear effortless but, the real asset is equipment which supports the linkage to the human. I have long argued to my snowboard buds that most snowboard manufacturers are not much different than skateboard builders: press it, sell it, bust it, press it, sell it, bust it, press it , sell it, bust it......there are exceptions. And we here on BOL know who most of them are. 

Mark

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 5:35 PM, philw said:

Deary, deary me. I'm going to have to take up, what do the whippersnappers call it - "gybing" or something. This carving thing is hitting the mainstream.

Phil, they are two of our British Association (BASI) Trainers in the Slice and Dice video...

Edited by Emdee406
  • Like 1

Inspired by some of the videos, i took to my local NASTAR course in my softies on my 152cm Burton Con Artist.

It felt surprisingly good...but I was still surprised to find I'd got a Platinum medal?

IMG_4381.PNG

Edited by Emdee406
Omission
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

in Korean but you get the idea... burton new step-in... on a good looking moss pow stick...

I got to handle a pair of the step-ins at a Burton demo at Spirit.  Burton says the boots are medium stiffness.... I'm here to tell you they're very soft. It made me sad.  There's no plans to make a stiffer boot in the pipeline according to the rep. Bummer!