Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

Here is to hoping for an executive decision or better yet the option to choose your own graphic on a "Madd construction"

This design is AWESOME!!! Time for an Alpine carver with visual appeal to jibbers and reference to the classics. That just may be the ticket to bring more riders to the carve-side.

13781982_1254102507958076_6792304038995765909_n.jpg

5 hours ago, neanderthal said:

Here is to hoping for an executive decision or better yet the option to choose your own graphic on a "Madd construction"

This design is AWESOME!!! Time for an Alpine carver with visual appeal to jibbers and reference to the classics. That just may be the ticket to bring more riders to the carve-side.

13781982_1254102507958076_6792304038995765909_n.jpg

I'm with you on this.  This makes the board seriously irresistible. 

• Like 1

IMHO... although the artwork is well done, I have some issues with the content of the "meat grinder" topsheet.  For one thing, the vast majority of people in this sport are well into adulthood now and the graphic looks more like something a younger person would have.  Maybe two graphics should be offered to suit both the up-and-comers and the old-far... er, veterans?  My kids would think it would be weird of me to own this board, like I was trying too hard to be hip and young looking.

Then I have some techincal issues with this piece that might be considered nitpicky, but they bug me.  The meat grinder is in the middle of digesting the boy yet almost nothing is coming out the drain.  There is a blob of green slime coming down the outside of the grinder for some reason, but it's not spilling on to the wood butcher block on the tail. The "Donek" on the tail is too neat and thin if it's supposed to look like it came out of the grinder.  The green slime spilling over the intake rim of the grinder strangely ends at the lower edge of the rim and doesn't drip down. And why is there a big blob of green slime rising up behind the flower?  The black border is going to require extra care during assembly to align it perfectly.  The Madd logo on the gag is a nice touch though, I didn't even see it the first several times.

I've stayed out of this, mostly because of my very, very long history with Madds, and also due to the respect I have for artistic expressionism. My 'Russian' Brother, Giorgi, was an artist who collabberated with Kostabi, and is also a friend of CMC's from their days at Stowe, so, I have , shall we say, a bit of "Perspective" that makes my opinion perhaps a bit skewed...

The 'Kid' in the original Madds graphic, is Hopeful... Things that grow need nurture, and hope.  The Flower is peaceful amoungst the rage the the mid-90's Snowboard movement had, yet, a Madds board was the pinnacle of controlled aggression. Somehow, though, it was rideable (esp. in the 170cm length) by many, able to grab intermediates by the boot-cuffs and put them into a whole new level. It did the same for experts, though it suffered fools with a mule-kick if they rode it wrong. I could do nose-rolls (blind and front-side) on the 180, took my 170 into the woods, made leaping carves with ease on the 158/170's, and was very grateful for the BX 168, even if it was missing the base material it deserved. That board is rideable for SO MANY riders, using whatever they want for bindings/boots; It's the best thing (even better than NoSkools and Turner Hybrids!) I ever had a say in developing in boardsports. BTW, I'm very grateful to John, Mike, CMC , and Shaggy for all they did with the Madds, and also for letting me influence them (it's reciprocal, btw), as well as glad that Harry at Rad-Air let me work with Madds while also still riding on R/A.

So, I'm  a bit taken aback by the 'Lil' Shop of Horrors' motif !! It's cool in it's own way, but has a nasty undertone that just, well, is a bit too harsh? However, I'm pleased to see that some homage is being paid in the various renderings. I just wish that a bit more hope was displayed; A seed should bear good fruit, not a mutant Venus Flytrap.

• Like 1

I am in for an MK but I agree with Jack on the art. I am not a fan of the entries.  My family has already told me that if I get a board with that top sheet I'll be riding on my own. :eek:

I really wish we would have gotten a submission from Steve Fleck, he has created some amazing top sheet designs over the years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

Well, for some people art has meaning

AGREED!!!

of course the design spec states:

"We want to acknowledge the original MADD158 artwork in some way. John Gilmore (the original designer of the MADD158) has said “As for the image, I hope
it’s a good one…like the MADD flower 23 years later as a tree getting
chain sawed and milled into Doneks, or a Narco style execution for the little boy
now Graduate school aged… ”

there are some strong words in there - chain sawed, milled and  "Narco style execution"

I tried to google these key words to see how close each graphic was to them.  PLEASE dont google image "Narco style execution" - That was a mistake.

Lets hope for a resolution that is appealing to all parties. I would be happy to ride this board with a black top and no graphic, the graphic selected by Donek or will ask permission to have a custom one made with a graphic of my choosing.  In the end a bit of color wont stop my stoke. 

Certainly agree with Jack that images are meaningful and can be powerful. - When trying to appeal and be inoffensive to all you often end up with something bland.

Peace

banksy-if-graffiti-changed-anything.jpg

4-Banksy-Yellow-Lines-Getty.jpg

banksy-13.jpg

• Like 1

On 10.8.2016 at 3:50 PM, Jack Michaud said:

Well, unless Sean exercises a presidential veto, it will be the one with the most likes, this one:

13769349_1254102574624736_18107083531519

Of the choices presented, I like this one best, but personally I'd like the color removed from the tail.

PLEASE, don't remove the color from the tail! I ordered a board before I saw the graphics. And then I voted for this one. Still the best and with a great meaning:

Joe's interpretation of the original graphic :
Once upon a time there was this little boy, looking over his flower, naive, intimated, excited. As time went on, he nurtured it, like we do with so many things we are passion about. He has a deep connection with this flower, and as it grew, so did he never leaving it behind. He now lives in this flower, protecting his passion/ his spirit/ his drive & despite growing up and life trying to get in his way, He marks his territory with a new beginning, ready to grow, but humble to his roots.

Christian

2 hours ago, daveo said:

+1 on Steve Fleck 

If the board has the option to have plain black, I'd prefer that, and get one, if not, I'll pass.

The graphic is going to dictate getting this board or not? I thought all the excitement was about what this board is, not what's on it

• Like 3

This board could show up to my house with a hot pink turd on it and I would still ride it like its my job.  The meat grinder graphic is my favorite, but it may be a little much to be the only graphic offered on a board with predominantly older riders.  I usually ride with jibbers and younger skiers so the colors and style would fit in with my crowd. The twisty tree is a little too plain and "Tim Burton" for me.  However, if you don't like what you get you can go down to the hardware store and pick out your favorite color for about five bucks.

I knew I had to have one after a few runs on the proto.  The looks are absolutely secondary to the performance this thing offers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DonPablo said:

The graphic is going to dictate getting this board or not? I thought all the excitement was about what this board is, not what's on it

That's one hundred percent correct. I believe the graphic is an expression of form and emotion- and I don't feel like this is a reflection to the legacy this board should portray, therefore the graphic does entirely dictate getting this board or not. For me, anyway.

If it is offered in black, sign me up.

4 hours ago, daveo said:

That's one hundred percent correct. I believe the graphic is an expression of form and emotion- and I don't feel like this is a reflection to the legacy this board should portray, therefore the graphic does entirely dictate getting this board or not. For me, anyway.

If it is offered in black, sign me up.

So paint it?  :confused:

get to know your local auto body collision shop.  The shops usually have an abundance of left over cans from past jobs.  And also have a collection of flake, pearls,..etc and will probably sell you a teaspoon worth, instead of you having to buy a whole jar.   Check out that "house of Kolor"  site,  it is cutting edge.

And even if you do not want to paint it yourself,  if you mask it, and ask them to call you when they are doing the next paint job,  you leave it there, and they paint it when they are doing the bigger paint job,   and probably for a pretty modest price.

Edited by RobertAlexander
add

"The twisty tree is a little too plain and "Tim Burton" for me"

I cant agree more. Makes me feel like I need some emo/goth clothing and a trip to Hot Topic in the mall.

"Joe's interpretation of the original graphic :
Once upon a time there was this little boy, looking over his flower, naive, intimated, excited. As time went on, he nurtured it, like we do with so many things we are passion about. He has a deep connection with this flower, and as it grew, so did he never leaving it behind. He now lives in this flower,protecting his passion/ his spirit/ his drive & despite growing up and life trying to get in his way, He marks his territory with a new beginning, ready to grow, but humble to his roots."

Lives in the flower? - He must be upside down or underground with startled looking eyes popping out from the bottom of the tree.

protecting his passion/ his spirit/ his drive & despite growing up and life trying to get in his way? - Looks more like hiding out as a black hole sun sucks the life, color and detail out of his universe.

That said perhaps my interpretation reveals more about me than the intent of the artist.  I am reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's failing essay about his own book in Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield.  

Sometime between 1989 and 1992  there was an article/short story in a snowboard magazine probably Transworld that I wish I could find and frame.  A  man  on his way to the resort picks up a young grom hitchhiking giving him a ride and some advise.  The grom wants a car so he can go snowboarding anytime - He is schooled by the man in a range rover with wife and kids who advises "Dont buy the car."  With the car comes need for a job ect until you find yourself with all material needs met but only one week of free time to snowboard - the exact place the adviser is.

Then again perhaps its just that I bought the car and my body habitus doesnt work with the "Tim Burton" look as I would be the first rather than second image.

Lets find each other on the hill with tons of stoke and hero snow!

e41719b1ea8f2ce88752b7dd33293761.jpg

2ae922a2961244b9d56ceea2981e6de4.jpg

Edited by neanderthal

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks." :1luvu:
Not meant to offend:  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Function over form and all that.

I have no artistic vision that's why I have no custom top sheet plus I am tough on my equipments(it wont't last/can't have nice things).
I like snowboard for the fun factor, the challenge, the "in the moment" where the rest of the world doesn't matter.
For me:  What's on the top sheet is secondary.  It's a tool that enable the "experience".  Soul in the rider and not in equipment?
If i want to be inspire:  I just watch the mountain/nature or you fine gentleman/women carving down the hill :-)

Like on FB is easy; vote with your wallet:  However I am one of those ignorant customer/sheeple when it comes to gears...
"customers don't know what they want until we've shown them," -- Steve Job?
“if I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -- Henry Ford?

As an "Engineer":  Thank you all those help design/shape the MK for the ride characteristic.  It sounded fantastic!!  
However it's in the hand of the marketing folks now lol
  • Like 2