Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

I actually shelved mine for a while so my fitness could catch up to how I wanted to ride the board.  Once I got some real legs under me I was able to ride it for more than a few hours with ease.  I want to take a lap clicker to the mountain one day to see how many turns I get in compared to my other boards.  I was fortunate enough to have it out on absolute hero groom on Monday and Tuesday. You couldn't have wiped the smile off my face if you tried!

• Like 4

The MK is the real deal... edge hold (check), grunting noises (yeah).

What surprised me is just how intuitive the board felt... I ride mostly Coilers, and felt right at home on the MK from run #1.    (I usually need a few runs to get used to another maker's board...).   I didn't *have* to ride it like a Madd, but when I did, it was more fun.   

Mine was an impulse buy upon getting the Black Friday email from Donek... and I'm glad I was impulsive.   It is a welcome addition to my mostly-Coiler quiver, and will get as much ride time as each of the Coilers.  It definitely reminds me of the original Mad 158 I had for a couple of years,  but also a little b it of my Nirvana Energy 174.   When I **** up I know I'm not on a metal board, but when my technique is solid, it has every bit as much grip. 

The recent rain/refreeze here in the east has provided some great testing conditions - sugar on concrete.  My most hated conditions.  Unbelievably, I had fun on my MK on this crap.  The MK allowed me to carve on a combination of steep trails and conditions that I have never been able to carve before.  This is a game changer.

The board demands commitment, skill, and strength, but if you're ready, the board delivers.  Nice work Sean and CMC.

• Like 3

Madd Killer strikes at Cypress! 

Our local carver Patrick acquired one, just recently, and he kindly let me try it. Thanks buddy! 

I wanted to ride it back to back with something familiar and of similar spec. It turned out that my OES SL 162 is very close, in shape, length and stiffness, just a bit wider... So I mounted the 2 and went to the hill early in the morning. The conditions were cold and crisp, compact grooming, sunny. Unfortunately, our lazy grooming crew didn't do the Rainbow, so the steepest I could test was the Crazy Raven - a very steep blue. Of course I started gradually, from flatter to steepest. I couldn't find truly hard snow either, except for few very small patches... 

The first impression was Wow! - the grip and guickness of the edge change! As the others said, the thing likes to turn and it turns tight, sudden and a lot! Quite a cardio exercise :) Sometimes, the transition and hookup are so quick, that I almost wasn't ready for the turn, yet the hip would already be at the snow... Few times I hooked up too much on the heel side and couldn't get out of it. Attention and agility are required and greatly rewarded. 

What crossed my mind was that the closest ride I experienced was on an old Elan Ballistic 163... However, the MK is a lot smoother.  

Interestingly, I didn't notice much of the pop that old Madds were famous for... Just enough to make the transitions easier and ride a bit livelier.  

Amazingly, steeper I went, the easier the board became to ride!? I could be a lot lazier on steeps then on greens, hook, gravity load, small pop/flick, edge change on autopilot, repeat... Ultimate steep terrain board? 

After 2 hours of mad fun, I switched to the SL board. As I said, they are pretty close in spec, with the OES being wider, progressive in side cut and with more nose decamber. Oh and metal, of course... It didn't disappoint, even after the dynamic MK ride. 

Verdict: 

Initiation - MK 

Grip - MK 

Versatility - SL 

Smoothness/ease of ride - SL 

So... great job Sean! You created a truly fun board, of high quality/finish and easy to ride while very aggressive! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BlueB said:

Madd Killer strikes at Cypress! 

Our local carver Patrick acquired one, just recently, and he kindly let me try it. Thanks buddy! 

I wanted to ride it back to back with something familiar and of similar spec. It turned out that my OES SL 162 is very close, in shape, length and stiffness, just a bit wider... So I mounted the 2 and went to the hill early in the morning. The conditions were cold and crisp, compact grooming, sunny. Unfortunately, our lazy grooming crew didn't do the Rainbow, so the steepest I could test was the Crazy Raven - a very steep blue. Of course I started gradually, from flatter to steepest. I couldn't find truly hard snow either, except for few very small patches... 

The first impression was Wow! - the grip and guickness of the edge change! As the others said, the thing likes to turn and it turns tight, sudden and a lot! Quite a cardio exercise :) Sometimes, the transition and hookup are so quick, that I almost wasn't ready for the turn, yet the hip would already be at the snow... Few times I hooked up too much on the heel side and couldn't get out of it. Attention and agility are required and greatly rewarded. 

What crossed my mind was that the closest ride I experienced was on an old Elan Ballistic 163... However, the MK is a lot smoother.  

Interestingly, I didn't notice much of the pop that old Madds were famous for... Just enough to make the transitions easier and ride a bit livelier.  

Amazingly, steeper I went, the easier the board became to ride!? I could be a lot lazier on steeps then on greens, hook, gravity load, small pop/flick, edge change on autopilot, repeat... Ultimate steep terrain board? 

After 2 hours of mad fun, I switched to the SL board. As I said, they are pretty close in spec, with the OES being wider, progressive in side cut and with more nose decamber. Oh and metal, of course... It didn't disappoint, even after the dynamic MK ride. 

Verdict: 

Initiation - MK 

Grip - MK 

Versatility - SL 

Smoothness/ease of ride - SL 

So... great job Sean! You created a truly fun board, of high quality/finish and easy to ride while very aggressive! 

i saw the mk in the rack @ cypress yesterday - wondered who's that was. looks badass (and sounds like good fun). 

Strike 2 :) 

Went for few more hours on MK today. Another gorgeous sunny day and way less people. We actually had a mellow black run groomed and some hard snow! The Beast still performed like a champ! 

I actually fine tuned the binding bias and got better toe sides and less hooky/locked heel sides. 

All of that wasn't enough for me do I took it down very deep and steep moguls at upper Bowen. Well, that wasn't exactly ideal, as expected ;) too grippy and stiff and somewhat hard to initiate toe side "slarve". 

Next was the park. Few big straight airs of medium sized jumps under Lions - no problem; straight as arrow on take of, damp at landing. Then I took it to smaller jumps at Windjammer. 180 landing switch - no problem. Cab 180 was a bit sketchier - too steep of the angles for comfy approach. 

Fun day... 

MK meets KMK? 

I pulled out another board that I felt is similar in spec and ride to the MK - the OES Loony 169. Loony is a bit longer and narrower and has slightly longer side cut radius, otherwise designed along the similar idea of carbon goodness for ultra grip and dynamic ride. Here's how they compare: 

Initiation - MK 

Grip - Loony 

Smoothness - Looney 

Versatility - this was a hard one, they are both dynamic on flatter and easy on steeper rubs, both land jumps well, ride both short and medium long turns well, but Loony is better at high speed. However, MK rides the softer snow better, and Loony I wouldn't even try in bumps, so I give the edge to the MK. 

We had a few warm days this week, 50*.  Within that time period was 24 hours of rain.  Yesterday, after the snow quality at my local mountain had turned to wet mashed potatoes, it got cold and windy.  By the time I got out of work and on the lift it was 20* and dropping.  All that could be heard on the trails below was that awful sound of snowboards and skis scraping ice.  

But it wasn't ice.  It was nearly setup cement.  You know the stuff, on which, if you fall you are going to be sliding the rest of the way down.  That kind of snow that can't be walked on going up hill, even on a shallow slope.  

There were several school groups there when I took my first few runs so many of the trails looked like a fallen piece of cheese at a summer picnic covered with ants.  The snow conditions were carvable, especially on the MK, but they were very fast.   Maintaining carved turns and having to make those turns where all of the ants dictated was bringing the speed level up a little too high.  Head to the bar for a beer.

After the school groups left and most of everyone else was in the lodge because of the 16* temperature and 9:15 hour, I came back out.

The MK is the board I might spend the rest of my life on.  Or at least the rest of the season.  I have no desire to get back on any of my other decks.  Earlier in the night, with all of the dopes scattered across the slopes I had a few chattering turns.  It must have been due to the fear of taking someone out, my confidence levels weren't there.  Once I committed to the turn the MK never let loose.  I had such a great time carving aggressively on conditions that used to frustrate me.  The MK continues to surprise and impress me with all that I'm discovering it can do.

• Like 2

workshop7 this is why I tell everyone that the MK is made for the East. I was out on polished cement last night and the MK makes those conditions a game changer. There is no other board that can hold an edge on ice like the MK. Make sure you get a good tune as that will improve the performance even more.

If you are a MK owner and are either doubting or have not had this machine in terrible conditions on ice, I highly recommend to got out and commit to your turns. The board can absolutely hold an edge. If it chatters or blows out it is not the boards fault it is yours, something is wrong with your riding...

Now that we have had a few days break from record pow, I finally had a chance to ride the MK in firmer snow conditions.  I thought that the Proteus held well on steep and hard packed snow,  but Wow, the MK is an amazing turning machine! Love the way I can lay into the steepest run and make quick turns with total control and confidence. This board is everything that I was hoping for it to be,  quick edge to edge and able to control speed on the steeps. 

I must admit that there is a downside to this board in that one has to be in much better physical condition in order to ride it to it's full potential. It is not really a day cruiser,  but a high performance ripper that wears me out in about 2.5 - 3 hours of top-to-bottom hard riding. In softer or variable conditions, I will stick with the Proteus,  but on consistent firm snow, I plan on making a lot of turns on the MK. 

Props to Sean and all those involved in developing the MK. 

• Like 1

Thinking it is at approx. 20.75" , so that is at both outermost spots on the packs, and prefer to keep the bindings  most rearward in the screw positions of the TD3 disc,  as I lean forward plenty,  just my preference, seems to work well.  6'-1" w/long legs kind of.

Had some very good, set up nicely, thick carve snow yesterday on an entire trail. Actually got my butt dragging on healside a few times, which is a big deal for me any way.  Must be doing some thing right. and I guess am getting low enough...?  Getting comments of,  "looking good out there" ,   reply," that it is not me, its the board doing that,"   and this is true,  it is the MK that is enabling this good riding.    Got about 4 hrs, yesterday and feel fine today, so the physical thing does happen.  

Edited by RobertAlexander
  • Like 1