Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

9 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

the inserts looks way set back. I thought the madd is a more weight forward

style of riding... just say'n...

Could be an illusion caused by the blunt nose.  I'll measure tonight.  From this picture, it looks like the inserts are about in the same place as the '07 Madd 158.

• 4 weeks later...

Long post......

I’ve gotten about 50 runs on mine between this season and last on the proto so I feel like I can offer a half-baked write-up on the MK.  Bottom line is: HOLY COW THIS THING RIPPPPPPS!!!  I’ve been riding it on Arapahoe Basin’s white ribbon of death so I would say conditions are very comparable to the east coast conditions the board was made for. 

Crowded slopes? No problem.

Ice? Rail it!

Like catching air? Send it!

The edge hold is unfrickinbelievable.    I did some back to back runs with my 175 Stubby and the Stubby can’t hold a candle to the MK in terms of grip on ice.  Even when my technique would falter, the MK would find the grip instead of blowing out. It was hard to wrap my mind around at first.  Even when it gets crowded and cut up it will turn so fast and sharp that any undesirable terrain (or people) can be avoided pretty easily.

The pop and transitions are nuts.  The transitions are so fast sometimes that they will catch you off guard, because the load in the tail just launches you to the next edge.  It has kind of an “auto-pop.” Very fun and very addicting.   This also adds up to a lot of speed very quickly.  I played around a bit in the park and it will easily land in a carve from a sizeable air and keep ripping.  Really stable in the air.  I usually look like a grinning idiot after a run.  It’s hard to wipe the smile off. :ices_ange

This is a short clip of what I would call the board’s “cruising mode.”  This isn’t pushing it, just doing what the board naturally wants to do.  The aggressive carves are where it shines, but I’m too lazy to get anything more than this right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM2MD1TjbLe/?taken-by=kiteparsons

So about the negatives…..if you want to call them that.  This thing makes A LOT of turns. It doesn’t want to just cruise.  It wants to turn so hard your face melts.  I found myself having to take breaks pretty frequently on the hill, and I thought I had prepared pretty well.  It might be a morning board for some people.   A few times later in the day it turned harder than my legs could hold and they buckled almost sending me over the bars faster than I could realize…..time to go home.  Sean warned me the base wouldn’t hold wax that well, but my wax made it through the day on abrasive man made snow.  He said he used a harder base material than he usually does at the cost of wax absorption.  I did whack a few rocks and the base handled it well.

As an added bonus I expect I will lose more weight than usual this season. I can’t decide if it burns my lungs or legs more.  I imagine twice as many turns means more calories burned.

You could say I have a positive opinion of it.  Believe the hype. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but everyone should try one.  Thanks for reading.  I should probably get back to work. :ph34r:

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some good snow to use the MK on. The 161 length feels like the 175 I am used to. At no time during the entire day did I feel like I had to find/search for the sweet balance point, for or aft. It was fine no matter what was done on it.   It has a firm commanding ride, but is still comfortable in the crud,  and as the day got old and some areas started to get firm, the MK easily carved/cut thru the firmer pack.   At the 8.5 , 8.4? scr, it was still fine, tracked well, on the wider turns, to almost strait run areas. It does turn very quickly if you want it to.  What I did notice was that when in a tight carve, if you wanted to tighten or loosen up the carve a bit,  this is easily done with a little pressure, but it does not get away from you.  In other words,  very good on changing your carve while in the carve, without over doing it.  Completes a carve and releases a carve very easily, almost do not have to think about it.  Tracks well and feels stable at high speed shots, and easily initiates and completes a 360.   Definitely very happy with this board.  Feel that this board has plenty more to give,  just need to get my legs/lungs back in shape.

Added today: Today the snow was set up for a better carve. In one good  thick pack area, I hit it with the MK and usually sends me back up the hill  on other bds, same approach, same speed,    The MK dug in deep, turned very quickly and popped me out and  back up before the 1/2 circle was complete.  I was upright and had enough spin energy to complete the rest of a 360 on a flat board spinning. Wow, if you load the board it gives you the energy right back , in a very controllable manner.  I have never done or seen this before,  Wow.

Am learning what the MK will do. If you throw it at a spot, it will throw you right back out, quickly. And what I did was SOP.  So, be careful of super hard hits at an area until you know what it does.

added: I never had a board that would deliver energy like this.  All my other boards, when loaded hard and quick would take it, complete the carve and pop me out and up  "after" or close to it, when the carve was done.  The Mk when loaded hard will deliver with a smile. OK, I am starting to repeat myself.     Now looking ahead,  the trick will be to harness this quick pop and link them. All given the correct snow that will hold it.  But thinking to practice the singles to get used to it. Am 200 pounds.  Thanks Sean, don't change a thing in the build.  Very durable base, like it.

Edited by RobertAlexander
more
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I made my first turns on the MK today.  The first word that popped into my head was, "Wow!"  Second run, "This edge hold is amazing."  A couple of runs later, "My legs hurt."

So much fun on my small local hill.  I don't think I would want to ride it all day at a bigger mountain.  It would be too much on my legs and I would be done by noon.

What an incredible ride though.  I love it.  It's a keeper.  I might ask Sean for a bigger one next year, maybe 173L, 18.5W and 10.5 or 11 SCR.

Edited by workshop7
  • Like 1