Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

I'm on the MK (blue jacket) at 3:15 and 4:25 in this video:

I could see loving this board for narrow and/or mellow trails. The MK turns a little tighter than my Coiler Angry. I was surprised how big of a radius it was comfortable turning. The MK was very upset by the large push-piles in the final chute at Highlands. For comparison, my Donek Rev 163 just laughed at the same snow. Other than that, it was great if you like an energetic board! I'd want more than one run to get a mastery of it - on a few of those turns the board was deciding where to go next instead of me! LOL! 

I still don't like the 18cm width, but Sean said he could do a wider board based on the MK. It wouldn't be considered an MK any more though. 

• Like 1

took mine out for the first time today, great conditions for testing it in, hard frozen corduroy. The grooming was very poor though so I couldn't try it out as much as I would have liked, too many large variations in tracks in it and broken pockets, but it definitely could get a solid edge in! And as a novice, I can definitely tell I have a lot of room to grow into this board. 

Question though, do we know if its SCR is fixed or or variable?

Question though, do we know if its SCR is fixed or or variable?

have not checked it yet, trace the side cut on large sheet paper, draw a chord from effective edge front/rear point to point across the arc, measure 2 equal distances from center point and check the heights, if they are the same, it is fixed, if different it is variable.  Do this check at every inch from mid point and you will see the difference.   Will do it sooner or later,  but will say it most definitely rides like  a fixed tight 8.5 m.

http://www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html  

An ellipse can conform into a fixed radius.....and vice versa.....?  please explain?

Edited by RobertAlexander

4 hours ago, nigelc said:

Can you tell us more?

Not really, unfortunately. The MK was bounced around quite a bit by the same push piles that the Rev charged through. I only had one run on the MK though. 

Maybe the properties that make the MK so much fun on mellow runs make it less tolerant of chop? It's far from bad! It just surprised me how different they felt. 

Corey, it's the more pronounced nose decamber of modern SL boards that makes them AM worthy. I also preferred the OES SL in chop to MK, which was better then OES Loony (which has the least of that important feature). I rode them all back to back... 

Also, do not forget all the metal and rubber in your SL board. 

• Like 2

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 5:58 AM, corey_dyck said:

I could see loving this board for narrow and/or mellow trails.

I find it preferable on the steeps where the tight sidecut radius and excellent edge control can be used most effectively to keep speed in check.  Driving hard, tight turns, as the design is intended, scrubs too much speed on more mellow runs where I would prefer a bigger stick that wants to run downhill more.

In agreement that cruddy chop and push piles later in the day are not friendly with the MK. For me, it's about having a reduced level of commitment to the turn on an irregular surface. 

• Like 2

Guys the MK is a board designed for a very "specific purpose"  and is not a board that can be used in any conditions. The 58 Madds did not do well in crude or soft snow, same is the case for the Donek MK. This board thrives in firm and icy conditions and will set its self apart from any other board when conditions are to icy to ride on. Testing the board at the ATC in soft groomers would not show the full capabilities of the board. 

The MK is a perfect board for Northeast given the firmer conditions, crowds and narrower trails. I only pull it out when I know the conditions are firm or icy. This board is some work to ride (as were the Madds). You can't relax and ride it like a Coiler you need to be on your A game or the MK will kick you off the saddle.

I have a great example of how the MK performs in terrible conditions that I just experienced this week:

Mondays temps were in the mid 40's and sunny during the day, but by 4'ish the temps began to plummet in to the  high 20's and the entire mountain changed from mash potatoes to corn, cement and ice. I switched to the MK and head over to a head wall that was completely scrapped off with big sections of blue ice and the rest was cement. Skiers where literally loosing an edge and sliding down the entire pitch. I figured this would be a perfect test to see if the MK could bite in on these conditions. As I started down the head wall I drove the nose hard, got some serious angulation to dig into the ice and began to link turns all the way down the entire iced up head wall. It was very difficult to concentrate, as carving on the ice was very loud, it sounded like I was breaking glass on every turn. I got down to the bottom and stopped to catch my breath, I couldn't believe I was able to link turns on it, it was surreal. When I got down to the bottom and back in line I had a ski partrol come up to me and ask me how the hell I managed to carve down that ice, I guess he had been stationed there to pull all the skiers that had been sliding down the head wall, they were thinking of closing the trail because of how bad the conditions were.

Conditions like that is what will change your day on the mountain, when just about any other board will not hold end edge, the MK will if you have perfect form, angulation and the balls to commit. 

@Donek @Ripturns Nice work Sean and Curt. The only complaint I have is, I wish it had more of a 10m radius so I could ride it all day. However, I know that would change the fun nimbleness of the board. 

• Like 7

Thanks Geoff, Sounds like you gave the MK the ultimate test.   I am still waiting for some ice to try what you say. Have tried it in some very firm conditions and it does like to cut.   Also , it has been the only board that I am riding now, it is so much fun to ride, and have tested it in all kinds of snow, soft medium and hard, and 3 inches of fresh on the groom, which included bashing piles as the day went on, no problem.   And at 25 days , am riding it all day, although it was a physical  journey to get there, but definitely worth it.   IMO , don't  change a thing.  r

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Testing the board at the ATC in soft groomers would not show the full capabilities of the board.

Of course!  That's why I only rode it at Highlands with the infamous funnel that all traffic passes through to go to the bottom.  It gets scraped clean early in the day.  Many/most people skid that section because it's more like East coast snow than the grippy Colorado snow everywhere else. 

It was fine on the soft groomers though.  There were a number of riders that rode the MK as their only board for all of ATC.  I'm sure it's optimized for ice/firm, but it's not like it ceases to function in 'good' snow!  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RobertAlexander said:

Thanks Geoff, Sounds like you gave the MK the ultimate test.   I am still waiting for some ice to try what you say. Have tried it in some very firm conditions and it does like to cut.   Also , it has been the only board that I am riding now, it is so much fun to ride, and have tested it in all kinds of snow, soft medium and hard, and 3 inches of fresh on the groom, which included bashing piles as the day went on, no problem.   And at 25 days , am riding it all day, although it was a physical  journey to get there, but definitely worth it.   IMO , don't  change a thing.  r

You're about to have your wish granted...52 in the shade right at the Loaf according to Jack...Sunday the mercury drops..I suspect MK and Madds will be something we are glad to have to go to

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Giving away the farm here :-)
Even have the marketing term thought up.

"C square" = See C

Analogy version:

a method to identified who's trench is it.
Food coloring in drip bottle that highlight your "C".  Only activate when on edges
This way there is no dispute who digs what lol.

Digital version:  

precision GPS to overlay color over picture (augment reality)

Market is way too small to make $$$ but should be a fun weekend/season project.

• 9 months later...

MK's at Loon. 

While going for a tight heel turn, Loading the Mk on heel side with all your weight sitting on the rear and the MK pops itself out of seemingly one hole, for an extremely quick turn.   Just need to get weight forward , once you feel the start of the board being loaded,  to stay ahead of the game.   It happens quickly.    Plus the good snow conditions made it happen.

25348349_1923075377722073_3097491176543399974_n.jpg

Edited by RobertAlexander
added
  • Like 3

Thoughts from the first day on the MK today. (For background info, I've been riding a Donek 158 SL board for the past 10 years, as my one and only board.)

- the MK rides a *whole lot* like my SL board - it shares that "Holy Crap, I can't believe I just ripped that turn, and it all held together!" attribute (I don't consider the MK a life-changing 'transformative' ride, as I've been riding a life-changing 'transformative' board for over a decade, but its right there in that same space!!) I will easily transition to the MK being my one and only board - in fact, I kinda made that move today, I think. :-)

- the MK definitely holds a better edge than the SL, and today was a hardpack-bordering-on-boilerplate day - I'd have been sliding all over the place on my SL board,  but the MK held an edge very reliably and admirably (there were a number of times where it would have happily kept edging right down the rock-solid hill, at ever-increasing speed, but I lacked the confidence in it yet to let it completely have its head)

- the MK seems to have a narrower balance range - its easier to overload the nose if you're a bit ham handed (ham footed? :-) with the front foot, and while its surprisingly forgiving of riding the tail, it makes much nicer turns if you stay more centered, and are nuanced in weight transfer from front(ish) to rear(ish) during the carve. One of my habits from the SL board is to just dive over the nose into a turn, and let the board catch up (it always does!) - that approach doesn't work nearly as well on the MK, though - definitely requires more finesse.

- the MK is a full 10mm narrower at the waist, and the edge-to-edge transition is noticeably faster (I suspect the narrower tail, due to the setback sidecut, might play into this, as well). Its wicked fast edge-to-edge!

- the MK doesn't turn *quite* as sharply as the SL, but its pretty darned close (and this was only my first outing on it, in highly-non-ideal conditions - there were a few turns where it really ripped across underneath me when I stumbled on the right balance, pressure transition and vertical weighting, so I suspect that as my riding of the board improves, it'll tighten up further - it might yet match the SL board's super-tight turn radius)

- the MK is faster than the SL board - don't know if its inherently faster from a materials perspective, but it handles speed more stably, and it tends not to hook on the tail like the SL board, so you don't bleed as much speed off at the end of your arc, before you're transitioning to the other edge and again heading down the hill. Its rather insistent in when it wants to transition from one edge to the other, and is definitely earlier than the SL board in this respect. I could see myself never reaching the top speed of this board, and I'm 100% Ok with that. :-)

- the MK has good pop when you load it up - much like my SL board had back in its youth (its softened up a bit over the course of a decade) - to call it 'lively' would be understatement, but its not like a wild horse, either. If you load it, it'll pop nicely, but if you're more subtle, it makes smooth (but super quick) transitions

- much like the SL board, the MK is a LOT of work to carve hard all day - the turns are tight, and the only thing it likes to do is turn - constantly. In that respect, I LOVE it! I was bouncing around in the parking lot like Tigger after the end of the day today - you get used to the dynamics of riding this kind of board, and the legs don't quite want to stop at the end of the day, despite being worked hard!

I was honestly a little guarded in my expectations of the MK, having ridden such an amazing board in the 158 SL for so long, but it really is everything everyone says it is, and I'm very much looking forward to getting to know it better!! :-)

Edited by jim_s
  • Like 5

Ok, second day out on the MK, and I'm thinking I'm now done comparing it to my old beloved 158 SL board. The MK is a different board, and I think after today, I can safely put the SL in a corner somewhere, and give it a fond glance every now and then, but that I'm past the point of comparing/contrasting the MK with the SL, and of ever thinking of getting back out on the SL - the MK is a seriously kick-ass board in its own right. The conditions were nicer today (in western NY at present, so much better snow), and I got a few things figured out on the MK. A big one is that I found a sweet spot for keeping my torso forward in the turns, but not blowing the nose out. This sucker will crank a borderline-violent turn when you seriously rail it over and load it right, and the edge hold is literally better than anything I've ridden before - to include boards and skis. It also will make a much more stretched out turn (without skidding), by just not railing it over quite so hard, and letting it run a bit more freely. Speed control by digging tight/deep trenches is very effective. It responds really well to vertical weight/unweighting, and gives lots of pop between turns if you ask for it.

I lost count of the number of people who stopped me at the top or bottom of the lift today, asking what the heck I was riding, and noting how incredibly awesome (and fun!) it looked - I usually get a few questions or comments, but it was really a bit overwhelming today, the interest in this little beast.  I actually had 2 groups of people chase me down in the lift line, to ask about the board on the way up the hill. :-)

Did a hard cycling session yesterday, and the legs were blown out after 5-1/2 hrs of pretty much continuous blasting down the hill today. Finally had to quit when the quads locked up on me while bending over to unclip the rear foot at the end of a run. This thing is a lot of work, but it is *totally* worth it.

Hats off to Sean and crew on the MK!

Edited by jim_s
  • Like 3