Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

• 3 weeks later...

Very happy to say the end is very near.  The 3rd proto delivered.  Massive edge hold, nimble, agile, responsive, and quick.  Temps were between 21 to 23 degrees.  Surfaces skiid off, firm, and spotty NE chalk.  High fun factor.  Couldn't get enough of it which is what I was looking for.  Still thinking about it.

I ran an OES 161cm prototype as well.  Board for board, there was no comparison.  The OES held an great edge and the craftsmanship was elite.  Yet, it was too damp.  That is not to say other OES boards are the same way as many boards are built differently.  The key is finding the balance with the right amount of dampness and pop.  Donek is on par.

• Like 3

howdy

yeah! what eva!... I haven't demoed one so what about it?  mr. donek send me a demo

so I can give you a real feedback... yeah race boards are for racers, but freecarvers

should keep you afloat. racers are done! no more funding... make a better freerideboard

or loose a huge chunk of your niche... 175 mavrick killer? madd killer?... i'll be the judge!

• 1 month later...

I believe we have come to the conclusion that the MK is ready. This board is the best carving board I have ever ridden. Massive edge hold on ice, nimble,lightning fast edge transfers, liveliness and much more user friendly than the Original Madd 158.

Instant edge bite, tenacious edge hold, aggressive turns, huge rebound, very exciting. I want one. Going to have to sell a couple boards to make it happen, but I need it. I was grunting like a tennis player on each turn. I don't think I've ever done that before. I also unexpectedly found myself several feet in the air between turns sometimes. So cool to get this excited about a board after 28 years of snowboarding!

Very exciting!  I heard it was pretty icy/hard at ECES - did the MK deliver?  Any original Madd owners that have declared this board as the winner?  

I've fallen in love with my Proteus 170 in good snow, but it lost its magic on the early-morning ice yesterday.  My Coiler VSR 167 was much happier in those conditions.  

Corey,

I have owned 5 original Madd 158s and an original 170 in addition to any reissue that was made.  The originals were rode 5 days a week for years.  I know the originals inside and out. 

The MK delivers a performance that surpasses what the original Madd 158 had offered. The MK also surpasses my $2k Oxess. It is not just another board in the quiver, it is the bomb.

Corey,

I have owned 5 original Madd 158s and an original 170 in addition to any reissue that was made.  The originals were rode 5 days a week for years.  I know the originals inside and out. 

The MK delivers a performance that surpasses what the original Madd 158 had offered. The MK also surpasses my $2k Oxess. It is not just another board in the quiver, it is the bomb.

The topsheet says 161, 18, 9. Whether it's radial, parabolic, elliptical, VSR, Sean isn't saying.

More ! More!.....We want to know more!.........

Instant edge bite, tenacious edge hold, aggressive turns, huge rebound, very exciting. I want one. Going to have to sell a couple boards to make it happen, but I need it. I was grunting like a tennis player on each turn. I don't think I've ever done that before. I also unexpectedly found myself several feet in the air between turns sometimes. So cool to get this excited about a board after 28 years of snowboarding!

AAAAARRGGHH !!!...........

MUST.... SEE... VIDEOS!

Another great rider got on the board and I sent him a message asking him how his love affair went with the MK---

"Hey Curt, so I got 4 runs on the MK before my legs gave out. I also followed **** on it through solid ice SL course, and the MK held a line in the ice while I was losing grip in my 163 10m Proteus. Given that I have had several Madds and still have 2 58's I liked that I did not need to change my riding style and the MK suited my style. The MK blows any Madds I have ridden out of the water. It has a bigger sweet spot, is not as nervous but still gives you the pop you want when loading the tail. I found the MK more forgiving to ride on firm/icy conditions. My statement about the ice is so true and **** confirmed this as well. It is honestly amazing how the MK holds an edge on ice. This is the first board I have been on where I was literally looking for ice to rail on. We had plenty of spots with glaring blue ice that I railed on. I need some more time on it to gather my thoughts around the side cut. I could only handle 4 runs before my legs were toast. I am not trying to figure out do I want one and do I sell my 163 Proteus that ****and I have. We are both in the same spot".

This is the type of board that will continue to saturate your thoughts after riding it.  You will blow off lunch just to get a few more runs in.  One run and you wont want to give it back.  Two runs and you are already figuring out financing to purchase.  Three runs and heads are turning on the lift.  Four runs--you are delirious with excitement.  Five runs and you are grunting like a tennis pro.

• Like 1

Watching this thread with great interest.

Mind goes wild when there are so many unknown :-)

How does it performed in hero/good/soft snow?

Does it only shine in East coast boiler plate condition?

I remembered a thread started by Curt in the context of what are we looking for in a board?

Fun

Longevity 

Consistency

Another great rider got on the board and I sent him a message asking him how his love affair went with the MK---

"Hey Curt, so I got 4 runs on the MK before my legs gave out. I also followed **** on it through solid ice SL course, and the MK held a line in the ice while I was losing grip in my 163 10m Proteus. Given that I have had several Madds and still have 2 58's I liked that I did not need to change my riding style and the MK suited my style. The MK blows any Madds I have ridden out of the water. It has a bigger sweet spot, is not as nervous but still gives you the pop you want when loading the tail. I found the MK more forgiving to ride on firm/icy conditions. My statement about the ice is so true and **** confirmed this as well. It is honestly amazing how the MK holds an edge on ice. This is the first board I have been on where I was literally looking for ice to rail on. We had plenty of spots with glaring blue ice that I railed on. I need some more time on it to gather my thoughts around the side cut. I could only handle 4 runs before my legs were toast. I am not trying to figure out do I want one and do I sell my 163 Proteus that ****and I have. We are both in the same spot".

This is the type of board that will continue to saturate your thoughts after riding it.  You will blow off lunch just to get a few more runs in.  One run and you wont want to give it back.  Two runs and you are already figuring out financing to purchase.  Three runs and heads are turning on the lift.  Four runs--you are delirious with excitement.  Five runs and you are grunting like a tennis pro.

Curt thanks for posting my feedback of the MK so I don't have to retype it. This board is a game changer for East Coast riders. 

Okay. This is all well and good.

When will it be avail? How much? Spec variations? Is 158 the only scenario? Is a 170 tested? Stance width options?

I have a mint 158 orig and its unreal BUT I don't think I could ride anymore with the narrow stance width it has.

Do you guys really feel the base is fast as the specked original???

Sorry. Thinking out loud here......

I want one for sure.....

Edited by big canuck