Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Sean, is The new Legacy the "Madd Killer"?

I wonder... Looks like a Proteus with a slightly tighter radius, and no metal.  I rode a Proteus 175 for 2 years and I have a new 163 for this year.  I think the Proteus strikes a great balance between the edge hold of metal and the feel of a non-metal board.  Smooth yet poppy.

@Sean, is The new Legacy the "Madd Killer"?

Not quite.  We did use some of Cur'ts testing results in developing it, but the MK is still being worked on.  Based on the most recent feedback, we are very close to what Curt is looking to achieve.  If all goes well with the latest board, we'll start playing with some CF butterflies next.

• Like 1

Just saw this thread.

Looks like I found a mint pair of my old boots in my size for cheap. Like under $20!

The Madd base was DOUBLE SINTERED PTEX 5000. The bases were dangerous to make and apparently some guys died making that batch so they stopped making it. The secret was multiple colors so it heated up at different rates and in theory was less likely to wet over at exactly the same time and rates so there would be less surface tension.like black transmits heat faster than white and every color is different. The speckled base was actually made of shredded scraps from die cuts that were then resintered to be recycled though the material was Virgin.

I only did the flex patterns and sidecuts and material layup changes on the originals, I had no other input whatsoever on the re- releases. If I had, they would have ridden differently. The original molds were destroyed, but I certainly could ride and spec a better product as I ride significantly better now than in the early 1990s.

Is it possible to make a better board ? Sure it is . I rode and spec'd one proto which was much better performing, and the World Cup riders liked it better too. I could still make it. I decided against making it publicly available because at the time the bulk of the good riders were not skilled enough to ride a less forgiving board and likely did not have the power to take advantages of its strengths.

Yes I moved to California, Laguna Beach ( sicko 5 million dollar home next to the best dive spots, I walk from my house to dive) but I am planning on moving back to Aspen this season only for winters ( leave us up Jan 31)

. My joints , save a separated shoulder are great, and I have been scuba diving nearly every day to get in shape. Here you are only allowed to catch lobster with your bare hands, and let me tell you, they put up a huge fight. I've been using an ocean reef full face mask which I modified that is awesome. Hiking up thousand steps beach wearing 70lbs of gear in wetsuit , it's harder than the dive.

As for hitting the slopes.

My 2nd godson is now three, I rode with him and his mom when he was two..he can ride top to bottom at Buttermilk by himself and clips in his own bindings by himself. I'm going to have him carving and laying it over soon.

I need a vintage pair of old Cateks, the ones with the Doberman graphic, or at least the CAD files so I can make a pair using Chris Chaputs CNC machine. Or curt why don't you dig through Jeffs basement and find me some bails and what ever spare parts you can find. I could never make the Olympics work as well for me, nor the step ins.

I broke my soft boot split tail powder deck Rossignol Judge 168 , it's just barely rideable though delammed with core damage, cracking tail and collapsed sidewall. And for Hardbooter I have a mint original 170 and 158 plus an older 158 all original. But knowing Aspen, I'll still need a soft boot board for pow days.

I'm also trying to sell my Mercedes to buy an EV.

I want to get a Gold Pass and tour every decent resort next season. Back in the 1990s I had to sleep in an unheated Audi wagon in minus 5 to -15 weather, now, I can have the heat on ( it uses about 30 miles of range)

Edited by John Gilmour

• 2 weeks later...

What's the length and waist width on that Hans?

Sorry , not meaning to hi-jack this thread, couldn't resist.

It's an Virus Interceptor Elektron with a high speed worldcup base and unbelievable edgehold through extra high torsinal stiffness, length 173cm, smallest width about 16.2 cm.

Stance for me with a Virus UPZ RC10 mondo 27 : 75/80 degrees, TD 3 with 6 degrees in the back and 3 degrees in the front. I have the Zylon slayer version without the Elektron specialties, grrrr.

Edited by Hans