Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

No 170 has been tested. We ran an 18cm waist, no wider waists have been made or tested --the original 158 had an 18cm waist. The original madd 158 and the MK were/are cable of wide stances..20 inch plus. Will it perform in hero snow?-of course. It will also perform in powder, like any board, but would not be efficient or optimum.

The speckled base is no longer available and hasn't been for awhile. The Madd 158 base was just as fast or slow as any other base out there...the beauty being it's durability and ability to be almost gouge proof and have a high resistance to base burn/oxidation.

Canuck, we may have an idea of a production schedule very soon.....and the base will be plenty fast. Also, if you are having stance width issues, certain binding disks can be rotated to achieve wider widths along with minimizing toe/heel lifts. ...unless you were referring to waist widths.

We do have a decision to release the MK for the beginning of the 2016/2017 season.  There are a couple of reasons we are waiting until then.  They mostly have to do with ensuring we get everything perfect for this very unique board.  The board will be available only in the dimensions it was prototyped which are very similar to the original.  It will only be available with the standard graphic that we will be spending a fair bit of effort in designing and developing.  At some point in the next few days we will have in place a method for you to pre-order an MK.

• Like 1

I might have missed this along the way in the 7 pages, Sean can you reveal if this is metal construction or any titanal component?  I was just following the thread on the titanal shortage and planning my next purchase...this thread has piqued my interest in the MK's performance as an east coast ice stick. Or can you at least give a "there is nothing to worry about" re: supply/price if you don't want to divulge any more construction details hehe?

I'll be on the MaddKiller that was at the ECES this Saturday and will probably be placing an order for one shortly there after.  Hilux, Sean will not disclose any of the construction/ or detailed specs of the board.

I have never in my 29 years of riding ever been on a board that can hold a edge on solid blue ice like the MaddKiller can. It was the first time in my life of carving that I was literally looking for anything ice to carve on to see if I could get the MK to blow out and it would not.

Incredible edge hold

My only complaint is that my legs gave out sooner than I wanted them to because I was having soooo much fun on the board. 

Any downsides?  Like decreased ability to skid or transitioning between carving/skidding and back?  Usually there's some tradeoff elsewhere when one property is accentuated...  Would you put a beginner on the board?  Not that I'm planning that!  Just curious.

I'm less enthusiastic about the fixed width.  I feel a transition between 20 and 18 cm waists: 20+ cm waist feels more like snowboarding and an 18 cm waist feels like skwalling.  I get it; there's a careful balance of properties that gets messed up when you change things, but I want my cake and to eat it too!  

I might have missed this along the way in the 7 pages, Sean can you reveal if this is metal construction or any titanal component?  I was just following the thread on the titanal shortage and planning my next purchase...this thread has piqued my interest in the MK's performance as an east coast ice stick. Or can you at least give a "there is nothing to worry about" re: supply/price if you don't want to divulge any more construction details hehe?

No metal in this board.  (other than inserts)

Good question Roro.  It is the perfect balance of dampness and liveliness.  I've found this balance is key.  I have some great boards in my quiver--Oxess, OES and then some that cant seem to get that balance perfect.  They are either too damp with a poor response or too lively which tend to chatter on ice.

"Crap I need one. Edge hold is unreal. I can't get it to chatter, I keep thinking it will, but it holds an edge when the ******* would give out on me".

"There is plenty of ice to test it on. I may need to sleep with her tonight..."

• 1 month later...

I tried to order but was told to wait until next season.  Any chance we can get a demo out west in the mean time?  Mammoth will be open for another 2-3 months hopefully, and we definitely have what us wimpy west coaster call ice in the early AM.

Edited by nekdut
  • Like 1

I had the pleasure of handling the last proto and a new build and was able to compare them side by side. Absolutely identical. At 161. I only rode the older proto not the new build. Thank you Sean/Donek/Curt and those responsible for allowing several of us to try them ahead of production. Conditions were not ideal for them as was warm and soft. But they turned extremely easy and most who rode them were more than pleasantly surprised with their performance.