Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

Believe the base was PTEX5000.  Used on some skis of the same vintage.   No longer available.

Thanks Polaris!

Interesting... a quick Google search found some groups still making snow equipment using P-TEX 5000 and more relevant the material is still available.

Apparently the high hardness value is favorable in high-end XC skis.

P-tex® 5000 RACE- http://cps-gmbh.net/en/gesintertes-uhmwpe.php (I'll wager they can make an alloy of whatever one wants.)

Still in use-

TIL, the Volkl Coal has P-TEX 5000- http://www.voelkl-snowboards.com/products/boards/v-technology/boards/bases.html

Movement skis- http://www.movementskis.com/fr/ski-tech/prod-materiels/

Carpani skis- http://www.carpanisci.com/en/models/race/line-fis/f3-activa-race/

Edited by lonbordin

Look at it this way..if the material was still available any Madd reissue would have used it. 

According to JG, who designed the originals, states that the material is no longer being made or available...... despite what other companies claim to label theirs. 

Others who have done extensive research on base material have also come up empty handed.

Wes--those specs are off, particularly on the 170.  If you find an old Snoboard mag--'95 or '96 issue(buyers guide), the full specs for the originals are in there.  The Bx came out after the Originals.  During the time of the originals, there was a very rare asym and their Freestyle decks.

howdy

well, if there is going to be a madd killer it should be close to the original specs

and have the same flex. i rode the coiler angrry glass and thought it was a noodle,

but i never rode the madd 158 so i could not compare. rode the angrry like a skateboard

and it was fun for a little while, but an all day board...

Thanks for your input Wes.  Guarantee can not be put on the specs being the same.  Irrelavant to specs, if rode correctly, the Madd delivered.  The Madd Killer will deliver more when it's ready in relation to performance and fun factor.  Rest assured, we have a group of eager,varied experienced riders and a builder all weighing in with solid experience. 

For some, even the original 158 was not an all day board.  For others, like myself..it was an all day board.  The fun factor and performance was addiciting and too much fun to even have any desire to want to try anything else.  We are woking on bringing that back.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacopo,

if they were original Madd boards, they were either like new or NOS.  I can assure you they are not back in business. 

That would be awesome if they were but I speak with JG regularly and nothing of the sort has been mentioned.  Thinking of and actually doing are two completely different actions.

JG had once said that Madd Snowboards would never die.  The question is, even with all of his thinking, when would Madd come back?  That is still unanswered. 

I can say that with JG being a flex pattern mastermind and Golden Ear, when he does come back to board design, his design would rule.  Hopefully the project we are working on with the Madd Killer will hold us until that time.

Mark,

It has been confirmed that the spoken of "Italian Madds" are in no way shape or form identical to the originals.  Other than bearing the same name and possibly made by the same builder, they are not originals.  The  Madds that were released some years back with the green and red sidewalls was madd's attempt at reproducing somrthing similar to the originals but it was a failed attempt.

I was actually implying, in a tongue-in-cheek way, that a battle might ensue between the East Coast Madd faithful and this previously-unknown Italian impostor. I was hoping someone else would come up with something appropriately humorous. 

I'm bored at work today… :)

--mark

Mark,

It has been confirmed that the spoken of "Italian Madds" are in no way shape or form identical to the originals.  Other than bearing the same name and possibly made by the same builder, they are not originals.  The  Madds that were released some years back with the green and red sidewalls was madd's attempt at reproducing somrthing similar to the originals but it was a failed attempt.

The original and the green/red MADD 158 & 170's were made in the same "factory" by the same builder. The green/red MADDS were made with different materials. I am not sure about the "camo" MADDS............

MADD could not put out a "consistent" product. I believe that Donek can.......this could be really good!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Ripturns,

Hmm......I must be Madd  (Ha!) since no body else has mentioned it!.....but your original  photo of the 4 boards doesn't match the  number sequence I see.

I see the Madd to the right as #1 but the Oxess is #2....so is the Madd Killer number 3 or 4?  And I see the #4 but ther's no text to go with it

Either way,  left to right or opposite it's out of sequence....so is the red Donek or Black Donek  the Madd Killer...or both?...but they look the same length?

The Doneks look like 18 or so waists...that about right?   

Any price range as of yet? Just an estimate, won't hold ya to it....to see if I need to hock the family jewels, ya know.

Any chane of a wide version?

The number sequence was that of performance and does not correlate to the picture.

In the picture, the Black Donek was 1st proto followed by the red Donek being the 2nd proto.

The 3rd proto has not been pictured yet.

Not ready to release specs as nothing is final.  No price has been determined.  Wide versions have not been discussed.

But you can hock the family jewels.