Note to New Members ×

Madd Killer Strikes Back!

CMC

POW--that would be great wouldnt it?  Cant predict the future.  An epic board can't be made over night. Testing, testing, testing...waiting on more results and then we will asses and move onto the next proto.

It is with great pleasure to hear your feedback on the proto Shaggy.  Your feedback will certainly help in directing the board to where it is going.  For those that do not know Shag, this is a friend whom I have logged many days on snow with over the years.  He has owned and ridden many original Madds of various lengths(and the non originals), Oxess and plenty of others.  Most importantly, Shaggy has the riding skills that remain consistent on every turn.  That being said, he knows what this quest is about and Im glad that he has dedicated his time, knowledge and skills to help bring the board to its next level.

I've never ridden a Madd but it has always piqued my interest especially after hearing a lot of the pioneer riders speak so fondly of it.  I'm following this closely and will hopefully get a chance to feel what this is all about in the next year or so.  Really cool venture.

I didn't know who Shaggy was until I was snapping some pics at ECES last year.  Amazingly fluid rider. From what I saw, he rips on Madd's.

(Shaggy I'll remove this pic at your request)

post-3685-0-03101200-1426076351_thumb.jp

Edited by Hilux
  • Like 1

Great pic of Shaggy Hilux!  I remember in the early 90s seeing ads in mags for the Original Madd--"Riders Wanted" with a pic of the machine itself.  It was drooling material.  Just heard stories about them, never ever saw one on the hill, heard they were super expensive and all of the associated riff raff.  It was like wanting that Lamborghini but knew that you would probably never own one.

Then one day I was at Stowe ripping turns on my Rossi under the gondi.  A blur went by me and i caught a glimpse of "that board". Was that i Madd I asked myself?  I wasnt sure so i chased the rider down the hill, trying to get closer to confirm my suspicions.  Overwhelmed with excitement, I caught up with him at the bottom.....and bam!  There it was in all of its glory--the Madd 158.

"Is that...is that..is that?" Yea...it's a Madd..want to try it? Withing minutes, my bindings were on this board and it was like a whole new world opened up.  The thing would auger into the snow..blown away.  The rider was Eric Brammer.  He hooked me up with Michael Cappaletti and Gilmour.  I was on the phone later that day.

"I have to have one!"  A trip down to Boston one week later with $500 bucks and I was heading home with a brand new Madd158 in the plastic.  Never looked back after that.  My riding progressed to new levels on that board to where my next 4 plus madds were on the house--including a new 170.  The boards were very addicting always laughing at the turns and situations they could pull me out of.  Others soon recognized this as well.  This board was way ahead of its time and continued to surpass the perfoamnce and quality of other decks many years there after.  It still does in that regard.

BUT...we are now onto this venture to bring back to carving the performance and high fun factor of what the Madd had to offer and we are surpassing that.  Now there are some areas that cant be beat--such as the ultra durable base material--it is not made anymore unfortunately.  I really wish the final product was ready for all to bring their riding to the next level.  Soon. 

It is with great pleasure to hear your feedback on the proto Shaggy.  Your feedback will certainly help in directing the board to where it is going.  For those that do not know Shag, this is a friend whom I have logged many days on snow with over the years.  He has owned and ridden many original Madds of various lengths(and the non originals), Oxess and plenty of others.  Most importantly, Shaggy has the riding skills that remain consistent on every turn.  That being said, he knows what this quest is about and Im glad that he has dedicated his time, knowledge and skills to help bring the board to its next level.

Shaggy, I luv you too :1luvu:

Now there are some areas that cant be beat--such as the ultra durable base material--it is not made anymore unfortunately.

Good luck with the Madd killer!

As far as I understand the base was a high-graphite base and that material is still used on some skis/snowboards.  Was there something different about the base material?

I'm really interested to hear any details about that material.  Thanks!

That base material is something else. Was it ever used on anything else? Only place I've seen it was the original Madds.

I tend to run over a lot of things and the base will not take a gouge. Seriously strong stuff. It holds a structure like crazy. Early and late season rocks have done nothing to it so far. 

Upper left specs sheet and lower right metal sidewall picture are reissues though.  Rest are text and pictures from the originals, and yes the base is really something special.  

The metal Madd experiment was an interesting one.  I'm regretting letting the metal 170 reissue go now that I'm thinking about it.  Bonkers camber on that thing.

Gilmour posted original specs and reviews on the old old old Catek site many years back:

http://www.catek.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1041&t=653

Yea..that spec sheet is not for the originals so it means nothing.  The set up and instructions are from the original days.

I have the specs for the original 158, 170, and 180.  Didnt want to post them..no need to and dont want to.  I can say the specs of the reissues are much different than the originals.

Now that I think about it, the ptex was likely an alloy or blend of several ptex formulations. Double-Sint, Triple-Sint, Multi-Sint and Electra-Spec were some of the names.  Not sure the specific blend used on the Madds

post-784-0-19938100-1427805576_thumb.jpg

Edited by polaris
  • Like 1