Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

Carving is making a comeback!  I've  seen and you have too the videos of soft booters carving on groomers and park features.  It's not a trend but it's great to see.   We all have heard it for years, "I can carve like that too!".   Finally it's coming mainstream again?  Circular motion of what is cool.  Carving will never die!

• Like 1

Stiff boots are here for toe draggers upward of $700 . Not very quick to get into with multiple laces pulleys and cables to winch tight. One feature  that i'm sure will catch on is  the use of velcro to secure the heel pocket of the liner to the actual outer boot. Not easy to remove but very firmly holds the heel from sliding up. 

Most of those vids are racers on softies. Carving can be done by any decent rider. I love the aggressive ones that don’t do the racer hop into their heel side turns. Doing that is a dead giveaway. Just like park riding is a young mans game/there are very few that excel at it. Thankfully, the same goes for soft boot carvers. The myth that alpine boots and boards are necessary is just that. A myth. They do make speed and stability much easier though and the flow and power is absolutely wicked. Very few riders become good carvers. The bent over at the waist with head down is seen everywhere. Most of these guys couldn’t buy a decent heel side. Good riders are good riders. Aggressive ones are even better. Add smooth, well it’s a recipe for power with a touch of grace. I love that people are into it... now if only Gapers and Straightlining boarders and skiers could figure out that we turn a lot and hard and to back the fuck off, it would be a far better place. Rant over. Thank you

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 3

I'm loving it.  If some of them make the leap to hardboots, great.  As for the ones that don't, at least we will have a mutual understanding and respect, which is a big improvement.

18 minutes ago, slopestar said:

The myth that alpine boots and boards are necessary is just that. A myth.

They're necessary to carve at high levels of speed, slope, and surface hardness.  This is why nobody uses softboots to race GS or SL at high levels of competition.

• Like 2

The vids don't showcase an American return to carving. I think it's Korean riders who are amping their soft boot skills. I wonder if this "return to the turn" is as widespread as is  being represented. If it is, I would hope for a return to better (read: stiffer) soft equipment and boards. Hasn't Sean Martin over at Donek been making softboot boards to do this? 

Have a good winter everyone!

Mark

• Like 1

I like those vids, but I think it will fail to catch on.

Reason: Most softboot carvers in the vids (Ryan Knapton excepted) ride forward stance, which is shunned by the overwhelming majority of softboot riders, because it is so, so not cool and so, so limiting if one wants to ride fakie and do tricks and whatnot. Which may lead them to try and emulate Mr Knapton, which will fail in most cases, because it takes an extremely accomplished rider to do what he does in duck stance. (And even RK is quite explicit about how he works hard to overcome the limitations of his stance, and his softboot videos usually show twenty serious frontsides to one backside.)

Edited by Aracan
Replacing Brian with Ryan

2 hours ago, Aracan said:

I like those vids, but I think it will fail to catch on.

Reason: Most softboot carvers in the vids (Brian Knapton excepted) ride forward stance, which is shunned by the overwhelming majority of softboot riders, because it is so, so not cool and so, so limiting if one wants to ride fake and do tricks and whatnot. Which may lead them to try and emulate Mr Knapton, which will fail in most cases, because it takes an extremely accomplished rider to do what he does in duck stance. (And even BK is quite explicit about how he works hard to overcome the limitations of his stance, and his softboot videos usually show twenty serious frontsides to one backside.)

Ryan Knapton has a brother named Brian?  Who names their kids Ryan and Brian?  That's just weird.  I bet they had a lot of matching outfits back in the day. ;-)

Anyway, I agree that the video in the OP, while great, probably won't be received by most softbooters as well as a Knapton video for the reasons you state.  Specialized equipment, uncool stance, long directional board, no freestyle mixed in.  Ryan overcomes the typical duck stance by using a very, very wide board.  Eliminate boot-out and anyone can carve.

5 hours ago, utahcarver said:

The vids don't showcase an American return to carving. I think it's Korean riders who are amping their soft boot skills. I wonder if this "return to the turn" is as widespread as is  being represented. If it is, I would hope for a return to better (read: stiffer) soft equipment and boards. Hasn't Sean Martin over at Donek been making softboot boards to do this? 

Have a good winter everyone!

Mark

I guess there is going to be some relativism, but at our local ski hill in Norway there are definitely some of the park rats that are figuring out what those steel edges are for.

• Like 1

Ryan was at one time a nationally competitive half-pipe rider.  Using his carving skills to throw spins out of seemingly nowhere and smoothly transitioning from edge to butter and back at speed are a huge part of his appeal to the wider audience. They do like the turns but if his videos were just carving Ryan would be largely unknown. 

Ryan is like the gateway drug to carving: he is generating a lot of questions about gear and technique. Not many of his fans will be drawn to hard gear though. 

• Like 1

My point is that solid carving can be done with any boot. Mountains are still dedicating sizable acreage and resources to parks that entertain a very small percentage of their clientele. I’d rather those dollars went to educating the public in regard to being responsible skiers and riders. I love snowboarding but the majority of boarders are not young and spend little time hitting rails and super kickers. They want to be carving but no one is showing them how to do it. 

• Like 1

I'm really in favour of softbooters trying to learn how a board can turn by virtue of its shape rather than trying to swing or pivot the board around with their back foot.  I think only a very small percentage who try to carve a softboot setup will progress to full carves with linked turns from edge to edge over an entire run, but if it cuts down on the number of riders acting as heelside/toeside snow squeegees on the blues and blacks then I'm all for it.

I rode up the lift a couple of weeks ago with a particularly open-minded softbooter who was curious how I managed to get the board to turn with such relatively (to him) steep angles.  When I explained about how sidecut radius could turn the board by itself if the board was weighed/decambered (used the analogy of a ghost-riding bicycle), etc, he wondered if his board could do the same.  So with many caveats and CYA statements ("I'm not an instructor", etc), in about 5 minutes he was doing a modified version of the "norm" turn on both heel and toe.  The biggest thing was getting him to trust that the board would come back across the fall line just by use of continued pressure on the edge, and breaking the tail free to slide it wasn't necessary.  "Holy shit, it's so much less effort..."

Spotted him from the lift later and he was still at it, with noticeable improvement, linked turns and all.  Some people are all about skills acquisition, getting a snowboard to carve a turn is yet another skill in the set. 

Who knows, if his buddies see him carve the odd turn instead of sliding the tail around, they might try it themselves.

• Like 6