Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

5 hours ago, darko714 said:

Damn.  I love to do the "racer hop" into my heelside turns.  In fact, I even look for bumps and drops in my path to help me air out both kinds of transitions.  Does this mean I suck?   

Much different. I tend to pull and set the nose not hop to a slarve

• Thanks 1

Sry, I had a nice shot of the hardware in my wrist but must have misplaced it. Turns out wrists are fragile, who knew?!?

Anyhoo, I'm a weak person. Got the go ahead from she who must not be crossed and bought a pair of Ride Insanos.

Glad I did!

Took them with the Steepwater and Fluxes to Loveland. Weather: 8" fresh, 40mph wind,  minus bazillion degrees wind chill (not chill at all). You know, usual Loveland weather. 

I love my SW but in these conditions it sucked! For such a big board it does a wonderful impression of a submarine. No amount of moving the bindings back and standing on the tail persuaded it to show it's nose. So I did what any reasonable person would do when faced with the prospect of losing the only pow day I have had this year. I threw money at the problem. Went to the shop and took out two demo boards. A Never Summer Swift and Jones Ultracraft. The Swift is nice and pretty agile through the trees but the Ultracraft blew me away. It's like the Geico commercial - yes but more! More hold, more float, more damp, more awesome.

How does this relate to the boots and bindings? These were an absolute blast! The Fluxes are pretty comfy and reasonably stiff. I was concerned with the lack of shock absorption but I didn't feel any issues plowing through chunder. The boots though were absolutely fantastic. Really comfortable, seem to have a lot of lateral support, the boas were very very nice and they fit me great. I would say that they are as stiff as Driver Xs but the best part is the tongue. The tongue gives the boot tons of support on toe side. It was great especially with the Ultracraft. The boots threw the board side to side with what felt like general contempt. Leaning into the tongue was super rewarding. The whole setup was damp but poppy and very responsive. Floaty to boot! 

So my take on the Flux/Insanos combo is really favorable. Very comfortable and responsive. Definitely fun. The only con is the plasticy straps on the Fluxes. They worked great, felt strong, and didn't stick but in the car they rattled like crazy. Drove me nuts!  

2018-03-16_07-45-20_907.jpeg

2018-03-16_07-46-08_233.jpeg

• Like 1