Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

24 minutes ago, Rob Stevens said:

It's pretty funny what a board has to look like nowadays to be considered a "pow" board.

One of my favourites to this day is the Salomon Burner. It looks just like that Kessler.That particular Salomon used to be a top-line SBX board 10 years ago, before racers figured out the nose flip wasn't ideal for close-quarters racing. If you had less than an 8 shell, you'd be tipping that board right over, too.

If anyone reading this comes across a Burner in the used market, and you're of the smaller footed set, they're choice. I'd highly recommend picking one up.

I had one. A 161 about 12 years ago. My second last softboot board. Bought a never summer premier I never rode after that before my first ever coiler. 

18 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

just to add to the nonsense... this looks cool to some, but I consider this a dirty carve, hard or soft boots... anytime you are dragging body parts it is poor form...

This is when carving transcends practical functionality and becomes a pure art form. Snowboarders are too busy brutalizing the snow that they forget how much they love it. Remember to make love to the snow every once and a while. Caress it... Gently with your fingers. Pound it... With your edges for that adrenaline rush. Kiss it... Like you're trying to blow love back into your relationship. 

Okay... I'll stop. Here's picture from today on my 'softboot' setup. I've stiffened the boots like crazy with duct tape, fiberglass, and inelastic Velcro straps. The boots are now significantly stiffer than the stiffest softboot sold today. I ride a Donek Incline with a 28 cm waist (size 8 boots), and Burton Cartel bindings. You could basically see pencil line trenches all the way down the hill.

20180305_163527.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Stevens said:

It's pretty funny what a board has to look like nowadays to be considered a "pow" board.

One of my favourites to this day is the Salomon Burner. It looks just like that Kessler.That particular Salomon used to be a top-line SBX board 10 years ago, before racers figured out the nose flip wasn't ideal for close-quarters racing. If you had less than an 8 shell, you'd be tipping that board right over, too.

If anyone reading this comes across a Burner in the used market, and you're of the smaller footed set, they're choice. I'd highly recommend picking one up.

i rented a burner @ sunshine a couple years ago and was pleasantly surprised. had to run relatively steep angles, but it was a fun ripper indeed. 

6 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

A good pal of mine designs their entire line. Roman and David get their mitts in there, but Alex probably has the last word!

Hey Rob!   If you are seeing Alex, say hi, he'll probably remember me.  ha ha.  It seems the number I have that is supposed to be yours is ... not.  Call me 250-939-8129.  or text me.  I'll call ya back.  We can figure this out!  If you are driving trough and have time, stop by and say hi.

7 hours ago, CarveAlbertaToMe said:

This is when carving transcends practical functionality and becomes a pure art form. Snowboarders are too busy brutalizing the snow that they forget how much they love it. Remember to make love to the snow every once and a while. Caress it... Gently with your fingers. Pound it... With your edges for that adrenaline rush. Kiss it... Like you're trying to blow love back into your relationship. 

Nice first post! So true. 

2 hours ago, John E said:

I demo'ed a 162 Flux from Donek last Thursday. It was the most fun I ever had on a snowboard except for a powder day. 

I'm going to order one for myself soon. 

What bindings and boots did you use, to go with it?

and was it just the base model?  (No titanal/Saber)

Edited by MK@whiteface

I don't know the specs of the board. A friend & I both tried a 158 Saber and a 162 Flux. We both LOVED the Flux. 

I just got a pair of Flow Talon boots and new Flow bindings. I'm pretty lazy and don't like sitting down to buckle in. The boots are pretty stiff (but maybe not the stiffest). 

We're going up tomorrow and repeat the experiment (Flux / Saber). Both of us are ready to order new Flux boards. 

25 minutes ago, John E said:

don't like sitting down to buckle in.

Who does? Haa! Ha! I often see this statement being made about softboots and strap bindings, and I don't get it. After 39 years of riding, I have never sat down to strap in and neither does any of my riding buddies.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mig said:

Who does? Haa! Ha! I often see this statement being made about softboots and strap bindings, and I don't get it. After 39 years of riding, I have never sat down to strap in and neither does any of my riding buddies.

Maybe I'm old and infirm, or that it's just that I'm not all that experienced with softies but I find that unless I can find a relatively flat spot to strap in (a flat spot immediately preceding a slope to drop into), I sometimes end up having to sit. I see lots of people doing the same. That said, my current bindings are flows ... which I honestly don't find to be all that easy to get into (though it may be their poor fitment with my malamutes). If I were to go back I probably wouldn't go with flows again, and would opt for regular strap bindings. 

When I do ride my softies my only lament is that I find the equipment less convenient and comfortable than my hardboots+stepins. That and one-footing in softies is much more difficult. I do prefer softies for riding soft snow, tracked-out snow and powder, and have done more and more of it recently despite disliking some aspects of the equipment. 

5 minutes ago, queequeg said:

Maybe I'm old and infirm, or that it's just that I'm not all that experienced with softies but I find that unless I can find a relatively flat spot to strap in (a flat spot immediately preceding a slope to drop into), I sometimes end up having to sit. I see lots of people doing the same.

If you saw me you would actually have a hard time believing I actually can ride. I am a very very very fat dude. Haaa! Haa! Ha! Simple solution to not having to sit down while using "traditional" strap bindings is to face uphill, strap in the front foot, kick the board in the snow a couple of times with the heelside edge to create a stable plateform, strap in the rear foot, release the heelside edge from the small dip/plateform and go.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mig said:

If you saw me you would actually have a hard time believing I actually can ride. I am a very very very fat dude. Haaa! Haa! Ha! Simple solution to not having to sit down while using "traditional" strap bindings is to face uphill, strap in the front foot, kick the board in the snow a couple of times with the heelside edge to create a stable plateform, strap in the rear foot, release the heelside edge from the small dip/plateform and go.

Thanks! I will try this. I typically do just the opposite (try to build a ledge facing downhill) but what you suggest makes plenty of sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Where step-ins really shine is on the flats.  Run out of steam, pop out and skate for a while, then click in while still moving.  You have to be pretty talented with straps to do that.

I would love to see a Step-On version of the Driver X and give it a try, but I doubt I will see it any time soon. Although, they are coming out with the Ion next sesaon. But still too soft for me.

51 minutes ago, Mig said:

How are you kicking with the heel while facing uphill?

3 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

How are you kicking with the heel while facing uphill?

Face uphill with your front foot in. Stand on your free foot and repeatedly come down on your heel edge with the strapped in foot. The goal is to create a little ridge in the snow, across the fall line. Once that's done, you should be able to stand there with all your weight on the heel edge. This is ideal, as your heel of the back (push) foot will slide right to the back of the baseplate naturally, allowing you to get to full strap tightness before you drop in.

I haven't sat down to put on bindings in a loooong time. Interestingly, I'm not a big fan of Flow's for this, as to get your foot into the rear binder, you're having to push your foot towards to toe, which has the effect of wanting to lift you out of the little trench you've dug. Standard strap bindings work flawlessly in this scenario.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mig said:

I would love to see a Step-On version of the Driver X and give it a try, but I doubt I will see it any time soon. Although, they are coming out with the Ion next sesaon. But still too soft for me.

Too bad the Step-ons have such a big closure mech in the highback. It doesn't make them a great candidate for low stance angle carving. You don't get "boot out", you get "binding out".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, queequeg said:

Maybe I'm old and infirm, or that it's just that I'm not all that experienced with softies but I find that unless I can find a relatively flat spot to strap in (a flat spot immediately preceding a slope to drop into), I sometimes end up having to sit. I see lots of people doing the same. That said, my current bindings are flows ... which I honestly don't find to be all that easy to get into (though it may be their poor fitment with my malamutes). If I were to go back I probably wouldn't go with flows again, and would opt for regular strap bindings. 

When I do ride my softies my only lament is that I find the equipment less convenient and comfortable than my hardboots+stepins. That and one-footing in softies is much more difficult. I do prefer softies for riding soft snow, tracked-out snow and powder, and have done more and more of it recently despite disliking some aspects of the equipment. 

This is interesting. I find my soft boots more comfortable than hard boots. I agree that the boot / board interface is much cruder with soft boots. However, whenever I click into my hard boot bindings, I feel like my lower legs are cast in concrete. Much more restrictive than softies. Also, the forward angles of hard boots seems less natural to me than soft boots. 

I don't think softies are better in every way, just a better compromise for me. Soft boots & bindings are probably several pounds lighter than hard boots. 

To each his own!

• Like 1

I never sit, from when I get off the lift, till I get back on, nor has it ever been required for strapping in, actually I use strapping in as a Stretch, bending to tighten the straps and then Arms reach for the Sky before we take off...when I have taught the few people I have, I show them this 1st, get up off the ground...

Edited by softbootsurfer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Stevens said:

Face uphill with your front foot in. Stand on your free foot and repeatedly come down on your heel edge with the strapped in foot. The goal is to create a little ridge in the snow, across the fall line. Once that's done, you should be able to stand there with all your weight on the heel edge. This is ideal, as your heel of the back (push) foot will slide right to the back of the baseplate naturally, allowing you to get to full strap tightness before you drop in.

I'll add to this to help with the visualization: your free foot is downhill from the board.  You're basically 'catching' the downhill edge.  

I only sat down when I absolutely had to when I rode softies.  

• Like 2