Note to New Members ×

Board Leash Poll

barryj

Do You Use a Board Leash Yes/No?   

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use a Board Leash Riding Your Hardboot Setup?

• Yes
    • No

Out of Curiosity............and in the hope of getting us somewhat back to our regularly scheduled programming,  and not that other topic~    ............how many of us use a Board Leash With Your Hardboot Setup? 

Let's get the positive carving mojo flowing again....... Let's Get Carving!

Edited by barryj

Twice in the last two years I've been asked if I had a leash.  The last time (last season) was by an instructor or coach who didn't believe I had a leash after I casually nodded and kept moving through the lift line (black leash on black pants).  He actually chased after me until I made it clear that my front leg was in fact attached to my front binding by a leash.  

I work in an industry that recognises "never" events, things that shouldn't ever happen. We know they shouldn't happen but, human beings being fallible and having moments of inattention and brain failure, every so often they happen.

My snowboard releasing and flying off downhill is unlikely to hurt me. I wear my leash out of respect for other people on the mountain. Every time I clip on, or release, I'm reminded to be extra careful in lots of different ways, like making sure I'm properly Intec'd in, so that the "never" event of my snowboard hurtling downhill out of control indeed never happens. 

• Like 1

Of course I use a leash. Not because I believe it to be useful when a binding opens in a fall (never had that happen), but because I am convinced it increases safety when you clip onto your board at the top of the run. I suspect those who habitually don't use a leash have never seen a board that escaped its rider during the clip-in process barrel down a slope. Those things can take a kid's head off.

6 hours ago, rjnakata said:

I use an old school webbing leash (from Intec Titaniums) like this.   Loop end to front binding and clip the other end around the rear binding bail.   Thrown over the shoulder It makes for a hands free board sling when carrying from the parking lot.

bb1dce4284e9eba13a26417f51ee9030.jpg.00df01dfcb6727d9f74e8e3539f32b66.jpg

Absolutely this for my powder board! I end up hiking more with that board, and it's nice. 

My local hills require leashes to ride the lifts, so it's a default for me. On carving boards I use the Bomber short leash. It takes so little extra time and can prevent a runaway board if I somehow manage to release a binding on the lift. 

I've also broken a leash when my front binding released. Fastex buckles aren't very strong. 

Used a leash for years and when I really needed one ( double eject from testing a new boot ) it ripped apart. 

When I switched to SI in both the TD2 or TD3 the leash becomes nothing but a nuisance. Until the heel pins are completely pushed in it is impossible for the board to leave me without ripping apart the boot. If I have enough force of crash for that to happen a leash ain't gonna help my situation and I will much worse things to consider than a runaway board. 

I use a Dakine short leash, one end on the toe bail and the other on a buckle strap. The 2 clip together with a Fastex buckle. It takes seconds to use and doesn't get in the way or flap around. I bought several of the same kind so I don't have to transfer the board side piece when I switch boards. 

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

I use one, ever since I dropped a board from the Silverbelt lift at Sugarbowl (Tahoe) b/c of an unknown binding failure.  Yes, you can criticize me for not noticing the problem before getting on the lift, but I really wished I had a leash on at that time.  So, ever since then I have.  And, at least to me, it also just seems like using one is the right thing to do (for reasons others have pointed out above).  Whatever.

9 hours ago, rjnakata said:

I use an old school webbing leash (from Intec Titaniums) like this.   Loop end to front binding and clip the other end around the rear binding bail.   Thrown over the shoulder It makes for a hands free board sling when carrying from the parking lot.

bb1dce4284e9eba13a26417f51ee9030.jpg.00df01dfcb6727d9f74e8e3539f32b66.jpg

I use the same leash and do exactly the same thing.

Many einters ago I came up with a practical leash system that also acted as board lock system and shoulder strap. It was made out of plastic encased cable and had a clip that hooked onto front boots buckle or to the rear binding for carrying. 

I stopped using it mostly because of teaching... 

I'm a real worst-case scenario person; it occurred to me that if the (f)intec handle were to snag on something while you're riding the lift (or if an "unpleasant person" gives the handle a tug as a practical joke), there's a non-zero chance of it seriously injuring someone below.

Fastex buckles are good for packs, but release too easily from sudden tugs like a falling board.  $5 of paracord, $8 worth of hardware, and 15 minutes gave me this setup.

The extra loop on the floor in front works as a shoulder sling between the two toe bails, goes back into my pocket during the day.

leash.JPG.e81fce2b5cd8ec2edea44c3a6e74d0a1.JPGsling.png.f670451883e18518b6c78c651d1b5f0a.png

Me too.  :-)  That's what the ring about 2" from the top is for, I loop the leash back on itself and hook it to the ring, makes it short enough that it completely tucks up away under the pant leg.  Short-term, like going into the lodge mid-day, I just undo one of the forefoot buckles and hook it to that.

Edited by jburk
typo - someday I'm going to lurn to spel

Hmm, I've been leashless forever, though I do usually carry one of the short Catek leashes just in case a patroller decides to be a stickler. Heck, that thing is probably a collector's item, maybe I should be trying to trade it for enough leashes to outfit the whole quiver ;-)

Reading all these responses has made me rethink a bit though - maybe I should think about taking some precautions. Board falling from the chairlift in particular would be bad. 

3 hours ago, jburk said:

I'm a real worst-case scenario person; it occurred to me that if the (f)intec handle were to snag on something while you're riding the lift (or if an "unpleasant person" gives the handle a tug as a practical joke), there's a non-zero chance of it seriously injuring someone below.

I keep the cables and handles under the pants.  You can still release the bindings, and it seems to confuse people more when they can't see how you do it.  

• Like 1