Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

I challenge you to come down a couple notches on the hardboot rhetoric and help us build a bigger alpine community.:biggthump

In my 20 yrs of hardbooting, I have taught (both for pay and gratis), leant/gave gear to, promoted and been a cheerleader for the hardboot cause. It is something that I love to do and hope to do until I am old and grey(not far off). I came here to BOL many years ago to use the web site as a portal to like minded people (hardbooters) and discuss all things hardbooting. I ride a bunch of junky old gear (all with plate bindings), still get the same buzz that I have had forever and still promote hardbooting as much as I can. I might also add that this year, I personally have handed out more "Its hardboot snowboarding cards" than I ever had in my life. Mabey if you jack your rhetoric up a bit we could build this community bigger. All you soft boot decipeles shoud team up and form you own "soft boot carving" website. Then you can be with your like minded group of people. Or come to the darkside and step into some HARDBOOTS!

Think Snow!

No one every said "softbooters" are not allowed! What is being said is, if you want to talk about soft boot and strap bindings, go else where. This is a site didicated to hard boot snowboarding. Come here to learn about THAT, like it has always meant to be and hopefully always will be. Is there nothing pure and origional anymore? Political correctness is bull****.

Think Snow!

I thought this was a site dedicated to snowboard carving, and not a site dedicated to "snowboard carving with hardboots, bindings, and an alpine specific snowboard." -My Bad.

Fin needs to change the Title on the homepage from

"Snowboard Carving, Racing, Alpine Snowboarding - Boards, Boots, Bindings, Reviews: Bomber Online in Summit County, Colorado: Welcome!

to:

"Hardboot Carving, Racing, Alpine Snowboarding - Boards, Boots, Bindings, Reviews: Bomber Online in Summit County, Colorado: Welcome!

All you soft boot deciples shoud team up and from you own "soft boot carving" website. Then you can be with your like minded group of people. Or come to the darkside and step into some HARDBOOTS!

Think Snow!

burtoncarvingonline.com ?

carvinginleather.com

secondbest.com?

IweardaygloandthinkI'mcoresandwannacarve.com?

ohh, wait, there's a site this is covered very well on already http://www.psia.org/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=39

snowman has a point, though. IDK why people are even arguing about this. if it's not obvious why this forum is here I don't know how it could be made so.

:lol: Yeah, skate and classic. That would be of the cross country variety, and when I break my splitboard in two and use it for skinning that is technically uphill ski transport, but I don't come on BOL and yak about any of that stuff. I go to the appropriate site to discuss these forms of snow sliding where they are applicable.

Think Snow!

Good reply.:biggthump I should have just stayed out of this one. Sorry.

Clear enough? No where is softboot/softbinding mentioned on this very useful hand out card that Bomber Industires provides free of charge to all of us in a attempt to spread the word of HARDBOOTING.

Give it up snowman ( t shirt) ...the majority aggees with you. Just check the vote.

Having too many jibbers in a hardboot forum is almost as bad as having too many jibbers anywhere else. They just make noise and try to get attention.

Dr D, I have the utmost respect for you, but we aren't gassing jews here. Fin is just trying get a feel for steering the ship. A soft boot carving forum would be a ( undeserved IMO ) step up from "off topic", they just don't realize it.

It would also be nice to never unintentionally read another half baked softboot post.

post-182-141842306365_thumb.jpg

First, JJFluff - awesome shot. I'd love to ride with you some day.

Second (and I have not read this entire thread), having a post for "softbooters" is a no-brainer to me. Of course we should have it, yes. Besides my wife (softbooter and plater), my primary riding buddy is a former pro "softbooter." He carves better than most - and then he hucks a 540 on a tiny bump.

As I understand it, the forum is for people who carve, regardless of their chosen device.

I came here to BOL many years ago to use the web site as a portal to like minded people (hardbooters) and discuss all things hardbooting

Out of curiosity, do you feel the Off-Topic section of Bomber should be deleted? Maybe the skateboarding forum too? They both clearly discuss things other than hardboots.

Give it up snowman ( t shirt) ...the majority aggees with you. Just check the vote.

Having too many jibbers in a hardboot forum is almost as bad as having too many jibbers anywhere else. They just make noise and try to get attention.

Dr D, I have the utmost respect for you, but we aren't gassing jews here. Fin is just trying get a feel for steering the ship. A soft boot carving forum would be a ( undeserved IMO ) step up from "off topic", they just don't realize it.

It would also be nice to never unintentionally read another half baked softboot post.

Um... the majority does NOT agree...

I know that my vision is sliding in my advanced age; but, the majority DISAGREES. I think possibly the T-shirt you posted up pertains to youself more than I.:eek:

Think Snow!

Out of curiosity, do you feel the Off-Topic section of Bomber should be deleted? Maybe the skateboarding forum too? They both clearly discuss things other than hardboots.

Please go and re-read my post on this thread from start till finish-then come back with an informed response. I am all for the OFF Topic thread being a catch all for all things not Hardboot snowboarding specific. Please read more carefully.

Think Snow!

with 2 pages worth of votes:eek:

The fact that those preaching about tolerance and acceptance have a debilitating, morbid fear/hatred for sliding on the snow with two sticks instead of one has been blowing my mind since the early '80s. All these years since then I delude myself into thinking snowboarders will eventually grow out of it:smashfrea and realize that neither skiing or snowboarding would exist in it's current state without the complete interdependence of the two. Both in technically advanced construction as well as venue.

People have been sliding and even carving on ski hills and riding ski lifts long before the 1st bent piece of plywood with old screw on ski edges came out of someones garage and was ridden using sorels with ski boot liners. .

The control on hard packed ski runs that metal edges gave to snow boards combined with the resulting proficiency of many riders is the main reason snow boards were 1st allowed at many ski areas by the ski patrol.

<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><thead><tr align="center"><td class="thead">

</td> <td class="thead" align="left" width="100%">Forum</td> <td class="thead" width="175">Last Post</td> <td class="thead">Threads</td> <td class="thead">Posts</td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="5"> collapse_tcat.gif BomberOnline General Forums BomberOnline Forums

</td> </tr> </tbody> <tbody id="collapseobj_forumbit_1" style=""> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_new.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f2" align="left"> Carvi <table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <thead><tr align="center"></tr><tr align="center"><td class="thead">

</td></tr></thead> </table> ng Community (27 Viewing)

This is the mother of all carve/hardboot/alpine snowboarding discussions

</td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">

</td> <td class="alt1">11,007</td> <td class="alt2">149,333</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_old.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f38" align="left"> Racing/Coaching Discussions (2 Viewing)

For racing and coaching specific discussions

</td> <td class="alt1">550</td> <td class="alt2">5,408</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_old.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f50" align="left"> Vendor Announcements

Announcements, News, Events, and New Products posts for approved vendors only.

</td> <td class="alt1">30</td> <td class="alt2">225</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_old.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f41" align="left"> Off Topic (1 Viewing)

Anythings goes! All topics that are non-alpine snowboard related

</td> <td class="alt1">2,017</td> <td class="alt2">30,383</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_old.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f37" align="left"> FAQs

FAQs on various topics

</td> <td class="alt1">7</td> <td class="alt2">84</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_old.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f40" align="left"> Videos (2 Viewing)

A collection of hardboot'n video links

</td> <td class="alt1">276</td> <td class="alt2">1,951</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_old.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f48" align="left"> Photos

Serious Alpine Snowboarding eye-candy and photog tech discussion.

</td> <td class="alt1">46</td> <td class="alt2">879</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="alt2">forum_old.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="f42" align="left"> Long Skateboarding - Summer Carving (1 Viewing)

Long Skateboard, Surfboard, Kiteboard, etc. Any board-sport that lets us get that carve sensation without snow

poll_posticon.gifAny "skateboard"...

by Gecko

17 Hours Ago lastpost.gif

</td> <td class="alt1">241</td> <td class="alt2">2,791</td> </tr> </tbody> <tbody> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="5"> collapse_tcat.gif Softboot Carving

Boots, Bindings, Boards,

Carving Technique Stances for Carving

</td></tr></tbody></table>

There now, that didn't hurt too much did it

<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><thead><tr align="center"><td class="thead">

</td><td class="thead" align="left" width="100%">

</td><td class="thead" width="175">

</td><td class="thead">

</td><td class="thead">

</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="tcat" colspan="5">

</td></tr></tbody><tbody id="collapseobj_forumbit_1" style=""><tr align="center"><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f2" align="left">

</td><td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td></tr><tr align="center"><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f38" align="left">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f50" align="left">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f41" align="left">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f37" align="left">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f40" align="left">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f48" align="left">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td><td class="alt1Active" id="f42" align="left">

</td><td class="alt1">

</td><td class="alt2">

</td></tr></tbody><tbody><tr><td class="tcat" colspan="5"></td></tr></tbody></table>

"The fact that those preaching about tolerance and acceptance have a debilitating, morbid fear/hatred for sliding on the snow with two sticks instead of one has been blowing my mind since the early '80s. All these years since then I delude myself into thinking snowboarders will eventually grow out of it:smashfrea and realize that neither skiing or snowboarding would exist in it's current state without the complete interdependence of the two. Both in technically advanced construction as well as venue.

People have been sliding and even carving on ski hills and riding ski lifts long before the 1st bent piece of plywood with old screw on ski edges came out of someones garage and was ridden using sorels with ski boot liners.

The control on hard packed ski runs that metal edges gave to snow boards combined with the resulting proficiency of many riders is the main reason snow boards were 1st allowed at many ski areas by the ski patrol.".......posted by B0ardski.

As a former skier and ski-racer of many years (well, okay...decades)...I agree with much of what you said concerning the link between skiers and snowboarders. The technology that arose from the modern, edged p-tex based ski gave birth, when coupled with Burton and Sims modifications of the "Snurfer", to the modern snowboard that we know and cherish today.

And you are exactly right that skiing was in fashion LONG before metal ages....just HOW long, wqas recently found out...as they found a "ski" presumed to be between form 4000 BC to 2500 BC. Mind you, though, that they found only ONE...so this can perhaps be the world's oldest 'snowboard", as it was evidently fairly wide. Ha ha. If so, they must have been quite advanced during those years....advanced enough to see the grace and merit of a snowboard. Sadly, the sport saw 4000 to 6000 years of devolution while they the norsemen went back to two skis....not seeing the Truth and the Light and until the 1960's when snowboarding once again had a re-birth. It is presumed that those first snowboards of 6 or 4000 years ago were an immediate failure as these Norsemen couldn't out run the thirsty packs of wolves when doing the "Snowboard Hop and Scoot"...har har.

On a serious note: You speak about snowboards first being allowed at areas by the ski-patrol. Now, while the National Ski Patrol Association DID have input into the initial banning of snowboards at most areas, it was really the ski areas themselves that decided to open selective areas up to snowboarding, NOT the ski patrol, as these areas and their owner lobbying parties bbegan to see that they were going to lose out in a BOOT LOAD of revenue, if they continued banning boarders. So, it was less of the Ski Patrol giving them the safety nod, as it was almost purely a monetary decision. To this day, of course, there are STILL to famous hold-outs: Alta, utah and Mad River Glen. Vermont.

maybe one of these days, those two areas will likewise see the Light and theTruth of the One True Board. ;)

snowman has a point, though. IDK why people are even arguing about this. if it's not obvious why this forum is here I don't know how it could be made so.

+1 So simple.

This forum is accepting of softboot carving discussion and powder riding by regular members here, but this is not a site about carving a snowboard in general. Softboot carving is fun, but it does not compare to hardboot carving. This is obviously a site about carving in HARDBOOTS. It is written all over the place.

I definitely voted for the softboot forum because I do like softboots at certain times and definitely respect any carver be it on skis, softboots, or hardboots. The softboot forum seems like the best way to simplify the hardboot based main forum, Carving Community.

Now a rant:

The fact that two significant posters of words and rants in this thread (Photodad and Alaskan Rover) are avowed softbooters who say they do not want to get into hardboots is too much and it is getting really annoying. I am all for a more open minded BOL, but you guys are not making a good case for yourselves and softbooters on BOL.

Alaskan, you have been one of the top posters in this thread at 15 and you joined BOL on March 1st, 6 days ago. Your overall post count is already 44! Unless you are a former member or been lurking for a long time, I don't think you know much about us yet. So, as has been said several times, just chill out for a little while and learn about BOL.

Photodad, you've got 19 post in this thread. Most of it noise.

I know that my vision is sliding in my advanced age; but, the majority DISAGREES. I think possibly the T-shirt you posted up pertains to youself more than I.:eek:

Think Snow!

I think I voted YES to create a segregated jibber carver section. ( a jibber ghetto ) They can post whatever they want in there and who cares? I will never ever open the link.

Isn't that what 44% currently want and 28% do not? I assume soft booters want to stay in the real hardboot carving community and that's why they are all pissy.

( I never count the "don't cares" ) If I am getting this all wrong I apologize.

Snowman the idiot shirt was only to suggest you stop arguing with idiots. ( now they think we are skiers??!! ) I'm on your side 100% I think it's pretty ridiculous how all the noobs keep attacking you for no reason other than stating the facts. I Just add them to my ignore list...

Obviously it's a hardboot forum, but I don't think we can get rid of ALL the softboot "toe in the carving pool but won't dive in" posters, though it would be nice. I don't think the mods want to be constantly moving all the misguided idiotic posts to off topic either.

I think I voted YES to create a segregated jibber carver section. ( a jibber ghetto ) They can post whatever they want in there and who cares? I will never ever open the link.

Isn't that what 44% currently want and 28% do not? I assume soft booters want to stay in the real hardboot carving community and that's why they are all pissy.

( I never count the "don't cares" ) If I am getting this all wrong I apologize.

Snowman the idiot shirt was only to suggest you stop arguing with idiots. ( now they think we are skiers??!! ) I'm on your side 100% I think it's pretty ridiculous how all the noobs keep attacking you for no reason other than stating the facts. I Just add them to my ignore list...

Obviously it's a hardboot forum, but I don't think we can get rid of ALL the softboot "toe in the carving pool but won't dive in" posters, though it would be nice. I don't think the mods want to be constantly moving all the misguided idiotic posts to off topic either.

Now I understand! I don't mind the attacks as long as stating the obvious in return feels like a sharp stick in the eye to the offendees. I have always found it entertaining to attempt to get people to use their powers of critical and logical thinking. The softie decipeles can take their discussions to the already provided OFF TOPIC thread. We have already wasted more than enough bandwidth on softie stuff. I think that we are on the same page with diffent solutions to the PROBLEM.

Think Snow!

Alaskan, you have been one of the top posters in this thread at 15 and you joined BOL on March 1st, 6 days ago. Your overall post count is already 44! Unless you are a former member or been lurking for a long time, I don't think you know much about us yet. So, as has been said several times, just chill out for a little while and learn about BOL.

Photodad, you've got 19 post in this thread. Most of it noise.

I don't think they understand that for the most part, people really don't care what they ride. If they would just stop waving a big flag and yelling at the tops of their lungs about whatever personal crusade they are on, it would be fine.

Yes, three or four people got all aggressive on you. It's the internet; people do that. Maybe half or more of the people on this forum ride softboots (exclusively or not is irrelevant) and it's just fine. Softbootsailer rides only soft boots. I ride softboots when I'm not on the groom. Nobody has an issue with this. Like, at all.

Nobody hates you because you ride softboots (ok, maybe 5 people do). They are annoyed because you won't shut the ___ up about how unique you are as a softboot carver or a longboard windsurfer, or whatever gear you happen to ride. You're not unique; it's just that nobody else is broadcasting nonstop about it. If you have something to contribute, contribute, or if you have a question, ask it. But I'm not interested in your gear-persecution manifestos. Like that "we're not all knuckledraggers" thread. Is that like a defense against some imagined accusation, a protest against some perceived grievance, or just a statement of how much you love to carve in softboots? Write a topic sentence or something first...

For the record, I voted "yes" not to segregate the jibbers into a ghetto, but because carving in softboots is fun, but is different from hardbooting. As far as I can tell there are no softboot snowboarding forums with any useful information... or that are even comprehensible to people capable of rational thought. It would be nice to have a softboot forum here which had the same kind of level of expertise and community, etc.. Mark and Dano can opt to never open the jibber forum and we can all enjoy a hardboot forum free from ridiculous religious wars like this one, people like me can enjoy both forums, and hopefully people like softbootsailer (who only rides softboots) will continue to post in the hardboot forum because most of what people write is not hardware specific anyways. And if you really, actually care about the fact that you ride softboots, you can hang out over there.

Nobody hates you because you ride softboots (ok, maybe 5 people do).

I hate everyone who doesn't ride a Sims Burner cuz you really have no clue. :eek:

But seriously those who are getting their panties all twisted into a wad or those who are calling someone a dick or a 'skier' need to lighten up a bit.

Really.

And as far as caring whether someone scrapes up your gear defining how far you are from 'roots' of snowboarding, I am pretty ****ing far cuz I will open a **** storm on you if you get on my gear.

I guess that makes me a skier huh? I suck at skiing and always have.

Flame suit on. Check.

:lurk:

:lol:

reading again the first few pages and then the last few that I missed out on last nite, I notice that the two sides arguing arent even divided evenly by yes or no votes. some of you are pissed that softboots are getting relegated to the corner, some of you are elated that softboot carving is finally being given its own place. The other side is split in a similiar fashion.

A few of you are just taking opportunity to scream and whine about softbooters in general, never once making any obvious distinction between a jibber and a carver. The terms are all relative.

BOTTOMLINE We are here to have a good time not be regimented by bigoted dodo's. I don't mind a bit that occasionally I hear about off topic stuff on the hard boot threads. I come here to converse with friends and to make new ones. We all have common interests and pursuits and thats why we have an active board and a closeknit community. When Fin says how about we add a table to the party and let a few more people get exposed to this, We should be happy. more the merrier. I voted Yes lets have a seperate forum. I could care less which way Fin decides. I will continue to chat about anything and everything involved with the sport of snowboarding whenever the conversation leads me there. I think a seperate forum for softboot carving (nothing to do with Jibbing) is a natural add to the site and a great gateway for more hardboot converts. IT will make it easier for them to transition into the site without being mobbed by bigots. It will also provide a home for a new emerging niche to aour sport. If 3 manufacturers are making these boards then something is emerging. PRaisE the LorD .... IT will get all of us pesky softboot wearing snowman irritants off of the main discussion board.

disclaimer: the above in no way obligates me to remember which board I am on when I post a new thread or respond to an old one.:eplus2:

For the record, I voted "yes" not to segregate the jibbers into a ghetto, but because carving in softboots is fun, but is different from hardbooting. As far as I can tell there are no softboot snowboarding forums with any useful information... or that are even comprehensible to people capable of rational thought. It would be nice to have a softboot forum here which had the same kind of level of expertise and community, etc.. Mark and Dano can opt to never open the jibber forum and we can all enjoy a hardboot forum free from ridiculous religious wars like this one, people like me can enjoy both forums, and hopefully people like softbootsailer (who only rides softboots) will continue to post in the hardboot forum because most of what people write is not hardware specific anyways. And if you really, actually care about the fact that you ride softboots, you can hang out over there.

Thank you!

As I said before, leave the hard boot forum about hard booting. The techniques and equipment used are particular to hard booting and we should be able to have focused discussions.

Fin, please start a soft boot forum. As others have said, welcoming others and driving traffic to the site is important. And again, a lot of us soft boot and people post about it anyway. Having a soft boot forum will allow those discussions about soft booting to be focused as well.

:lol:

.........A few of you are just taking opportunity to scream and whine about softbooters in general, never once making any obvious distinction between a jibber and a carver. The terms are all relative.

BOTTOMLINE We are here to have a good time not be regimented by bigoted dodo's. I don't mind a bit that occasionally I hear about off topic stuff on the hard boot threads. I come here to converse with friends and to make new ones. We all have common interests and pursuits and thats why we have an active board and a closeknit community. When Fin says how about we add a table to the party and let a few more people get exposed to this, We should be happy. more the merrier. I voted Yes lets have a seperate forum. I could care less which way Fin decides. I will continue to chat about anything and everything involved with the sport of snowboarding whenever the conversation leads me there. I think a seperate forum for softboot carving (nothing to do with Jibbing) is a natural add to the site and a great gateway for more hardboot converts. IT will make it easier for them to transition into the site without being mobbed by bigots.......... :eplus2:

AS usual Dr. D, you bring some meassure of sanity to what has become a wholly spiteful, myopic and pissy panty-raid. It seems every grouping of people will always have a percentage of ignorant bigots that make much of rest of the group look bad, all the while thinking that people agree their juvenile pettiness. There are at least 5 HERE. That type of mis-guided self-aggrandizing is as old as the hills. Politics in D.C. would sure be a lot different if there weren't arrogant bigots there. For one thing, in a sad way they make it marginally entertaining. I've learned to live with people like that a long time ago. There are ALWAYS a few. A softboot carve forum?? Sure....sounds good to me...the air is getting slightly stifling in here anyway. Maybe we'd even get some converts from the hardhead side...oops, I mean the hardboot side. ;)

AS usual Dr. D, you bring some meassure of sanity to what has become a wholly spiteful, myopic and pissy panty-raid. It seems every grouping of people will always have a percentage of ignorant bigots that make much of rest of the group look bad, all the while thinking that people agree their juvenile pettiness. There are at least 5 HERE. That type of mis-guided self-aggrandizing is as old as the hills. Politics in D.C. would sure be a lot different if there weren't arrogant bigots there. For one thing, in a sad way they make it marginally entertaining. I've learned to live with people like that a long time ago. There are ALWAYS a few. A softboot carve forum?? Sure....sounds good to me...the air is getting slightly stifling in here anyway. Maybe we'd even get some converts from the hardhead side...oops, I mean the hardboot side. ;)

Alaskan, you don't get it at all. Why are you here?

You come to BOL, a hardboot forum, a couple of days ago and expect it to bend to your expectations about welcoming someone who says they are done with hardboots (ski boots at that, never tried snowboard hardbooting) in their first post! You then proceed to spew posts everywhere, some even about hardboot technique. :eek:

With your expectations I bet you get to see more "arrogant bigots" than really exist. Why don't you take your act to some other forum and see how it works there.

Good luck.