Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

This season we have seen a large interest from carvers who use softboot gear to get'r done. Honestly, I think this is a great thing to see as I believe we all agree you can do an amazing amount of carving on a softboot set-up.

That said we are discussing making a "Softboot" carving forum just for this. However, we want to get your guys opinions. Please vote in the poll if you would like to see this or not. This poll will only be up for two weeks so please vote now if you have an opinion on this.

Cheers,

I like the idea. People are passionate on either side of the equipment fence; separating them somewhat will reduce the "I can carve better than you in softboots" and "I can slide rails better than you in hardboots" posts. If people aren't interested in the other equipment they don't have to leave their respective forums.

Will there be a 3-strap sub-forum? ;)

actually I think a better idea would be a beginners forum, but you could toss softies in there.
I like the idea. People are passionate on either side of the equipment fence; separating them somewhat will reduce the "I can carve better than you in softboots" and "I can slide rails better than you in hardboots" posts. If people aren't interested in the other equipment they don't have to leave their respective forums.

Will there be a 3-strap sub-forum? ;)

YES!

I like both these ideas too:biggthump

actually I think a better idea would be a beginners forum, but you could toss softies in there.

Well, I cannot agree in the LEAST with DiveBomber's sentiment that "you could toss softies in there" with beginners.

However, even though I voted "can go either way"...I actually think it would be great to have a soft-boot forum...where softbooters can discuss various gear and techniques specific to softboot carving.

While I will shortly be putting my Scarpa Denalils on a used carving board (if I can FIND a used carving board/binding set up at a good price)....I can forecast that my standard all around board and gear will still be my twin-tip fatbob and my softboots (as those Jamie Lynns are definitely NOT your ordinary softboots...they are stiff, with a well made inner separate liner...and actually work quite well for carving). I just like the availability to head back to the pipe or rails when I want or pop a McTwist off a nice natural kicker and STILL have a nice carve session directly after. I don't want to take a bunch of extra gear to the mountain.

The only condition my set-up is not good for is ice...so I WILL soon looking for a used carving board to try my Scarpa Denalis on. They might not be the best boot for hardbooting, but they are what I have as my randonnee gear, so might as well stick with 'em.

I don't know how many softboot carvers are on here...I hear people say 30%. If so, that's enough for a forum.

I don't think the softbooters here could handle the abuse of TGR. send them to Epicski.com

agreed, lots can't handle the "abuse" here, never mind on virtually any other forum I lurk or participate in. the most fiery here are about as tame as it gets just about anywhere else including a fly fishing board I post on. yes, we are more civil than a bunch of 50ish red state republicans.

a separate forum would be nice, would probably keep some people from getting flogged because of them pimping a agenda here. then again, there's at least 10 sites that cater to them already so I have no idea why they end up here.

so, we gonna see a bomber softboot binding?

BTW I voted yes but that's just because I'm sick of the few people that just have to spew a softboot agenda constantly. I ride softboots and everything but IMO they're kinda off topic for this forum.

I don't do softboots any more but it definitely was how I started (softboot carving) and I would assume a large proportion of folks here started and a large proportion of folks who will be using hardboots in the future as well.

After all like the mission statement says:

"This is the mother of all carve/hardboot/alpine snowboarding discussions"-Fin

and it's the first word in the series. It doesn't say

" "This is the mother of all carving with hardboots on alpine snowboards discussions"-Fin "

For me the question is, does it need a seperate forum or should it be part of the general discussion? Seems like there would be arguements for both. I've always thought this should be a forum of about how we MOVE and the various techniques and kinds of equipment we use to acheive that movement.

After all like the mission statement says:

"This is the mother of all carve/hardboot/alpine snowboarding discussions"-Fin

and it's the first word in the series. It doesn't say

" "This is the mother of all carving with hardboots on alpine snowboards discussions"-Fin "

But, no where in there does it say soft boot, soft binding, twin tip, park rat, duck footed, pants on the ground jibber monkey either. This is a hardbooting site not a softbooting site. Oh, this is gonna be good. Best poll on BOL to date! Let the flamin begin!:flamethro

I think I made that red "carve" a bit too big. Didn't want to incite anyone.:ices_ange

Just thinking that soft boot carving is definitely the entry to hardboot carving. If you get enough people in here talking about soft boot carving they are going to eventually try hardbooting...

*yawn* it can go either way for me. i personally don't care.

as a soft boot boarder first, i took up carving on soft boots as it really sharpened my interest and riding skills. i took up hard booting to further my interest and skills in carving. but i also took up carving on skis to increase my fun factor. i just go with the conditions on the hill at any given time.

i find it interesting to see how *cough* passionate people are with their given choice of sport.

i joined BOL as i enjoy reading about how to clean my technique up. the amount of knowledge here is incredible.

as for flame wars?? yeah this forum has nothing on tgr which i read for the sheer comedic value of it. i guess i must be getting old as i don't like trashing people any more.(or less)

flame away for me not being as passionate about the sport as i feel that hard booting has its place and time on the hill but not 100% for me.

my $0.02 cdn which is worth $0.0193894 usd at todays exchange

Your database is throwing an error if you try to vote.

"Why separate it out?" is my only question. It says "carving community": obviously good people can carve irrespective of the shoes they happen to be wearing.

I don't really define my snowboarding by the boots I use - most of the people I ride with ride soft gear.

If you could hook in more soft people this way, then I'm for it. If you can't, then against.

Simply put, YES. If for any reason, it's the bitching over the fact that there isn't enough interest in hard booting and why can't we get more people interested, etc. Your best chances of getting more people interested in hard boot snowboarding is to go after the softbooters who already have an interest in carving. They come here to get more info and learn, at some point they might want to try hard booting.

It's not about being exclusive, it's about being inclusive and inviting more people to try out the sport. Intolerance gets us nowhere.

• Like 1

It does seem odd to me how many softbooters come to a site, where no new soft gear of any kind is offered for sale, with an evangelistic attitude that soft boots are better for almost everything and we should give up our hard sinning ways and start dragging crotchkneed pantcuffs in the mud behind laceup boots.

Fashion trends aside, give'em their own soapbox and let the main hardboot forum discuss the gear that is for sale here uncluttered.

Almost everyone started on softboots so a begginers & softy division, just like off topic, ride board & gear review, should be a given:biggthump

One more point from me: I feel a closer alliance to our friends on softboots that are carving like we do than the typical park skidder. Why not include them here on Bomber? Granted, people coming into many hardboot threads talking about how much their softies rule is annoying at times. Those posts can just get moved to the softboot forum in the future.

Who really cares what they have on their feet? Should we kick out Skwal riders too? How about Teleboard users? Telemarkers? People who admit that they still ski?

I don't think the softbooters here could handle the abuse of TGR. send them to Epicski.com

I laughed.

And I voted yes. If they want to use soft boot carving as their "gateway" drug that is fine with me.

From a business point of view, I don't see why you wouldn't want to Fin. Drives traffic to the site. Introduces a whole group of people to alpine by proximity alone. I have never felt the need to have more carvers out there. I kind of like the uniqueness of it.

But......

as gear gets more and more expensive, discontinued and unavailable in some areas, it's time to look at the economics of scale.

If 2000 new hardbooters come into the food chain every year and if Fin can produce another 500/1000/2000 pairs of sidewinders (through streamlined production etc) maybe then he can charge $300 a pair instead of $449 and I am $149 closer to owning a pair.

So from purely selfish reasons, I think it is a good thing. The sport is too demanding for most of the skidder/jibbers to get into: financially and physically/techniquewise.

Heck most of the time I ride with skiers, but I don't expect my own subforum for mutant snowboarders who ride with skiers.

I for one am tired of the hardbooters who rip on softboot riders incessantly. Or those who act like it is the only way. I used to do that myself, but I believe it is narrow minded and immature. As long as we are all carving and having fun, bring it on.

Now if you want to talk about tall Ts and how low your pants can be before it starts to affect your carve, I would not enjoy that so much.

I for one am tired of the hardbooters who rip on softboot riders incessantly. Or those who act like it is the only way. I used to do that myself, but I believe it is narrow minded and immature. As long as we are all carving and having fun, bring it on.

yeah, I don't think there's a damn thing wrong with softboots. in fact they are my gear of choice in pow, bumps or any type of back country. generally more forgiving. but I also mostly ride in bounds on groom and for that the best tool is clearly alpine.

I also don't like the attitude here where people try to say park rats are not talented or whatever, it's as lame as softboot superiority complex. but everyone is entitled to have that opinion.

I think I've already suggested this before. PLEASE do it NOW.

People come here to get away from "typical" snowboards and snowboarders. There is absolutly nothing new that can learned from any softboot carver. ( Except from Gilmore that is, but he's a freak of nature. )

Even throwback Asym hardbooterss are WAY more evolved than softboot carvers and no one has had a problem giving them zero respect for the last 10+ years.

P.S. Don't bring Bud lights to a microbrew convention.

"I don't really define my snowboarding by the boots I use".PhilM....

Well said, PhilM!!

I have only been on this forum for a couple days....but it seems that this is an online CARVING community like many have said. I think there is definitely room for both hardbooters AND softbooters out there. Like I said one time: "Gravity is non-partisan". The main thing is just to ENJOY that delicious dance with gravity....whatever you're on.

As for me, I think I will always be a softbooter at heart. It's kinda like a soul thing for me. Sure, I know that hardboots and plates are more efficient for carving, and a good carving board/boot/binding combo will give you better edge control. But the fact is is that if you have a GOOD pair of softboots (not that black vinyl crap that seems popular these past couple years in the stores!!) you CAN do an awfully nice carve. I guess it's like politics. And to tell the truth, I sorta like the crossways banter.

At least it's not a silly skiers vs. boarders kinda thing. Just saying.

So, yes....bring on a softbooter forum!! I think it would be great. There will always be this general discussion board where we can still meet and scuffle over sillyness...LOL. :)

But, no where in there does it say soft boot, soft binding, twin tip, park rat, duck footed, pants on the ground jibber monkey either. This is a hardbooting site not a softbooting site. Oh, this is gonna be good. Best poll on BOL to date! Let the flamin begin!:flamethro

So there should be no discussion on the Donek Razor, Incline, or Saber, the Swoard Dual, ANY Boarder cross threads AT ALL even when discussing Kessler or SG, and if someone has a sick SB carve photo or video he should go to.... Hmmm. Maybe the only way to be a non-conformist and a snowboarder now is to carve on softboots?:rolleyes:

People come here to get away from "typical" snowboards and snowboarders. There is absolutly nothing new that can learned from any softboot carver. ( Except from Gilmore that is, but he's a freak of nature.

Hmm. With all the new SB carving specific boards that are just now coming out (Donek Razor, Incline, Sabre / Swoard Dual / Kessler and SG Boarder cross boards etc.) it seems that what is NEW to talk about IS SOFTBOOT CARVING!:boxing_sm

I'm sure an asym from 91 is better than the Kessler BX. Right?