Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

BTW, I have no need to have anyone tell me what anyone is saying because I can survive knowing that people don't agree with me. Zero on my ignore list. :cool:

I did that for Tex's "benefit"..... ;) He can't see your humor if I don't quote it.:eplus2:

I think the softboot discussions should be allowed to stay in the main carving community forum so they get as much exposure as possible. If I ask a soft boot related question, I want as many members' feedback as possible and don't think I'll get that in a softboot only forum. Having said that, if it's the only alternative to having softboot topics relegated to the off-topic forum, I'm all for it.

I do think there should be a BX/freeride/soft boot equipment review forum, definitely.

Yeah... It is something we 100% need.

95% those who find Bomber tend to be softbooters already, able to carve and are looking to switch over.

Of those, atleast a good fair shake will still remain in softboots, and their own carving will be influenced by such.

We are a "CARVING COMMUNITY"....

Lets embrace everything there is about "carving" and not be eletist when it comes to such :)

There are days when I love my plates, and times when I want softies.

"Proper tool for job" I say, and there are a lot of ways to :smashfrea down a trail and a lot of boards and setups to GETTERDONE !

Thumbs up to a "Mushmellow carver" section :)

clicker, switch, rossi/osin or burton SI

your a softbooter, you have been brainwashed into believing stepins suck by now:smashfrea

I don't know about the Switch or the Burton Step-in, but man do those k2 Clickers such in deep powder!! I made the mistake of renting a pair for backcountry boarding in Wyoming...and found that the step-ins were CONTINUALLY getting clogged with snow, while I never had that same problem with my strappers in powder.

As far as overall form and function and quality of materials & workmanship, though...I found the K2 Clicker boots and bindings to be extremely well-made and quite comfortable. I think overall, they were a great idea. For some reason, they never really caught on like K2 thought they would.

I found their only drawback was in the pipe...as they were just too stiff for that.....plus they just compromised too much for the limited gain of being able to 'step-in' at the top of the chair....I almost always strap in while standing, anyway.

Gravity Is Life.

It's all about about the MONEY honey, BOL is an excellent way for Finn to get his product into the hands of those who are of a certain frame of mind about how to use gravity, and I for one enjoy the captive audience when selling something...

With a separate softboot forum I,we,he have,has a larger pool of potential buyers and or sellers and in no time the softboot chatter would be separate from the hardboot chatter

things change:cool:

i voted yes.

i think a separate softboot forum would be great. if you don’t like softboots then stay out of the forum.

hardboot equipment is getting more versatile while softboot freeriding equipment is getting stiffer and more supportive. personally, i think tightly done up 3 strap bindings (burton TORQUES for example) paired with stiffer freeride softboots is MORE supportive than a softer freecarve hardboot with a non-metal plate binding.

shaped skis and modern alpine snowboards have taken turns biting off of each other for years now. on modern metal boards we are seeing less fore/aft weight shifts during turns. essentially we just roll the knees now similar to what the shaped skiers have been doing for years.

good carving is good carving and eventually everyone (softbooter, shaped skier, telemarker (they have had plastic telemark boots for years now) and alpine hardbooter converges upon the same carving techniques.

i haven’t been a bomberonline member for that long but i think the member who best embodies the carving spirit ironically wears softboots—i look forward to reading more interesting, entertaining and thought provoking posts from well respected bomberonline member SOFTBOOTSAILER. a separate softboot forum would probably increase the number of his posts and that in my opinion would be a GOOD thing.

I don't know about the Switch or the Burton Step-in, but man do those k2 Clickers such in deep powder!!

Gravity Is Life.

Not gonna rehash stepins here

but this thread discusses in depth both hard & soft stepins and the industries stance thereon.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22038&highlight=stepin

clicker, switch, rossi/osin or burton SI

your a softbooter, you should have been brainwashed into believing stepins suck by now:smashfrea

K2 Clickers suck, Rossi SI are ok for rentals, Switch and Burton are the bees knees. Partially because of the binding but I think more because of the boots.

:AR15firinDano...

Your assertion that softbooters are somehow less evolved than hardbooters is myopic and nauseating at best...and just plain shrouded in falsehood. Tell that to Shaun White or the umpteen other world-class softbooters out there....any one of which can out-shred you five different ways to the moon and back.

The sport of boarding is wide enough for both hardbooters AND softbooters on the slopes, I see no reason why there can't be enough room on this forum also. I think perhaps it is the love of gravity that should bring us together, not what we happen to have on our feet.

As to beer...I am a softbooter, and I consider myself a "Flying Dog 'SnakeDog' Ale" microbrew....Dano, you seem more like Pabst Blue Ribbon. LOL.

;) ;) It's all good....no worries.

Gravity Is Life.

Jesus TAPDANCING Christ, one more unoriginal thought,"LOL" or "just go out and RIIIIIIIDE MAAAAAAN.." and I'm going to stick my head in a boot oven. ( search on heat moldable liners )

Do yourself a big favor, lurk a bit more and read Jack's articles in the welcome center, especially the first one. ( YES it's from 1996!! ) You'll get more of a clue of what this site was founded on.You've really been making an utter boob of yourself all week.

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/craving_the_carve.cfm

All newbs should be REQUIRED to read this before even being allowed to post.

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm

I've ridden both soft and hard and there really is no comparison, especially on heelside carves on a board with 10+ meter sidecut. You just have to suck it up and find hard boots you love, then you'll finally get it. It took me 5 boot brands over 15 years to find a perfect fit. ( and I'm still looking )

BTW, PBR goes perfect with BBQ, Racer 5 IPA is nice in the winter, and freaking bud light is NOT beer.

K2 Clickers suck, Rossi SI are ok for rentals, Switch and Burton are the bees knees. Partially because of the binding but I think more because of the boots.

Burton SI??? Really?? Piece o' crap. Broke out the bottoms of so many boots that Burton discontinued them. I got a pair of Moto's in the very last warranty exchange. :eek::barf:

I think that there should be a softboot carving section. I started in soft boots. I saw a hard boot rider, found this forum and started reading all I could. Then I tried some of the things I read like the norm. That feeling really made me want to take the next step.

I feel that a more welcoming forum could help offset the barriers of entry to the sport. It is hard enough to find equipment, and expensive. One less barrier would be great for the industry. It could be a way to ease the transition for more people.

The small size of the market in my opinion stifles innovation and progress. Look at the recent discussion of the costs involved to tool up to make a boot. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29684 How could any manufacturer justify a complete new boot with a market this size? And when was the last really completely new boot released?

I feel that anything that can be done to enlarge the number of carvers is a boon to all of us. More choices, new products, eventually power prices.

I think one of the best reasons to create another forum for softbooting is that a lot of us soft boot and people end up posting about it anyway. So, why not create a forum for those discussions so that they won't get mixed up with the Carving Community hard boot forum. The hard boot forum is a very valuable resource. It's hard to learn about this sport and the hard boot forum allows all of us to discuss it and it's particulars.

I voted no, and since I skimmed this thread and didn't see this explanation given I thought I would share:

Having two forums would only hurt the sharing of ideas and techniques. Softbooters would read one forum, and Hardbooters the other, the segregation would ultimately lead to a more constricted flow of ideas. By forcing both together in a single forum, everyone is exposed to more information and more ideas.

I voted yes but think we need to include or Softboot friends. Many visit this site because they like carving. Sometimes they offer a unique perspective which can be a good thing. I ride both hard and soft boots. Usually, ride softies on the days I am with my family and need some extra mobility to teach/chase the shredders (kids). Still carve with softies and feel that the time spent with softies helps me with hard boot riding.

We should also remember that most of us started out on softies and transitioned over to hard boots. Letting the softbooters participate here will only help our sport.

Plus... Softbootsailor has posted some interesting threads and is stoked on carving. There are others like him that provide good info and energy here.

Let's keep them coming to this site and provide an area specific to softboots.

My 2 yen. Thanks! Tom

Just thinking that soft boot carving is definitely the entry to hardboot carving. If you get enough people in here talking about soft boot carving they are going to eventually try hardbooting...

So very true in my case...

I started 20 yrs ago in softboots. I'm sure alot of 'carvers' started in softboots. Within a couple years I found stiffer boots (burton comps) and 3 strap bindings...

I would have probably migrated to hardboots earlier then '93, but at that point I didn't even know they existed, let alone had a website dedicated to hardbootin.

As to the 'abusers' I say "Stop-Being So-Childish-and-Get-Over-It!"

Welcome Them w/ Open Arms for many of them are the future 'hardbooters' that will keep this tiny niche of the sport, AND our equipment manufacturers alive.

:lurk: