Note to New Members ×

Should we offer a Sub-Forum for Softboot Carving?

fin

Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a Softboot Carving forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can go either way, not a big deal to me

I voted yes.

I think it goes along with what we are seeing in the market right now. People from back in the day are getting back into boarding with their family and they just want to cruise. I think this would draw some of them in. Many of these people would never go through the trouble of trying to get setup in a hardboot setup, they just want to ride.

I'm sure an asym from 91 is better than the Kessler BX. Right?

Just as a Kessler BX is probably better than an 1991 asymmetrical, riding either with hard boots is probably better than with soft boots.

BTW- I voted no big deal to me. I read what I want to read and respond to what I want to and like it that way.

Just as a Kessler BX is probably better than an 1991 asymmetrical, riding either with hard boots is probably better than with soft boots.

BTW- I voted no big deal to me. I read what I want to read and respond to what I want to and like it that way.

I've only owned one pair of HB (Burton MGX) and they sucked. Not willing to drop more money on something I'm not sure is worth it after my first experience. Maybe if I find a steal on here, but looking more at the softboot boards like the ones I mentioned. They seem to be more versatile too. Love my Madd BX 168 CB. Review coming soon. (want one more time out in spring conditions to round off the experience)

I don't think it should be a separate forum. Carving is a pursuit that is not really equipment dependent.

One thing I really like about this fraternity is that most everyone is very inclusive and welcoming.

Let's be inclusive - not exclusive.

I don't think it should be a separate forum. Carving is a pursuit that is not really equipment dependent.

One thing I really like about this fraternity is that most everyone is very inclusive and welcoming.

Let's be inclusive - not exclusive.

Make it a sub-forum.

I think I've already suggested this before. PLEASE do it NOW.

People come here to get away from "typical" snowboards and snowboarders. There is absolutly nothing new that can learned from any softboot carver. ( Except from Gilmore that is, but he's a freak of nature. )

Even throwback Asym hardbooterss are WAY more evolved than softboot carvers and no one has had a problem giving them zero respect for the last 10+ years.

P.S. Don't bring Bud lights to a microbrew convention.

:AR15firinDano...

Your assertion that softbooters are somehow less evolved than hardbooters is myopic and nauseating at best...and just plain shrouded in falsehood. Tell that to Shaun White or the umpteen other world-class softbooters out there....any one of which can out-shred you five different ways to the moon and back.

The sport of boarding is wide enough for both hardbooters AND softbooters on the slopes, I see no reason why there can't be enough room on this forum also. I think perhaps it is the love of gravity that should bring us together, not what we happen to have on our feet.

As to beer...I am a softbooter, and I consider myself a "Flying Dog 'SnakeDog' Ale" microbrew....Dano, you seem more like Pabst Blue Ribbon. LOL.

;) ;) It's all good....no worries.

Gravity Is Life.

wow

rampant panty bunchin goin on here:boxing_sm

the flamer war seems proof enough to me that a softy division would be good.

PD & I could compare strap vs plate reviews on the Madd bx in the gear review division as an overlap area. I rode it in soft tongued 3 buckle Raichles

with light weight thermoflex liner an I'd bet the biggest difference is slightly steeper angles and the fact that I could stepin.

Maybe we need a skinny vs wide, skier vs skawler, baggy vs strech flame war forum too:barf:

nobody is suggesting exclusion just catagorization like summer carving and photo forums.

I've been known to follow a pbr with an ipa, does that make me bi?

or do I have to use both buckles & laces

I saw some fulltilt park boots that have fake laces as the cuff buckle, now that's bi!

Pss I wouldn't take bud light any where except as a dis

Negatory. Although this is primarily a hardboot site, I think all disciples of carving can learn from each other. To me it's about the attitude and not about the gear. After 5 years of hardbooting I got on softies last year and had a blast, carving is different but still super-fun, and I do believe it improves my hardboot technique. We can all benefit from each other, why separate our small worlds even further?

Maybe we shouldn’t create a separate forum but a soft boots section would be a good idea

the problem is that there will always be people who only use hardboots that will always insist you can not carve in softboots and there will always be people who only use softboots that will always insist that you can carve in sofboots just as well as in hardboots

it really depends of equipment choice, snow conditions and most of all skills

we just need to accept and respect each other and our choice of gear whether we think we can carve or not

when I started hardbooting I had the right gear for carving but I couldn’t carve anyway and it took me a long time before I could honestly say “I can carve now” and I’m still far from being an expert

getting better at carving is and always will be a work in progress regardless of what gear is being used

i just came back from a weekend of riding in more than 2 feet of powder, i was on a 4807 in hardboots and my son was on a 4807 with sofboots, we both had a blast and we both got plenty of comments and questions about our gear, we lucked out on the powder and it was one of the best weekend we ever had.... (should we have a separate forum for riding in powder? i don't think so)

I laughed.

And I voted yes. If they want to use soft boot carving as their "gateway" drug that is fine with me.

From a business point of view, I don't see why you wouldn't want to Fin. Drives traffic to the site. Introduces a whole group of people to alpine by proximity alone. I have never felt the need to have more carvers out there. I kind of like the uniqueness of it.

But......

as gear gets more and more expensive, discontinued and unavailable in some areas, it's time to look at the economics of scale.

If 2000 new hardbooters come into the food chain every year and if Fin can produce another 500/1000/2000 pairs of sidewinders (through streamlined production etc) maybe then he can charge $300 a pair instead of $449 and I am $149 closer to owning a pair.

So from purely selfish reasons, I think it is a good thing. The sport is too demanding for most of the skidder/jibbers to get into: financially and physically/techniquewise.

Heck most of the time I ride with skiers, but I don't expect my own subforum for mutant snowboarders who ride with skiers.

I for one am tired of the hardbooters who rip on softboot riders incessantly. Or those who act like it is the only way. I used to do that myself, but I believe it is narrow minded and immature. As long as we are all carving and having fun, bring it on.

Now if you want to talk about tall Ts and how low your pants can be before it starts to affect your carve, I would not enjoy that so much.

I agree with the above, especially as many soft boot carvers end up switching to hard boots as the next logical step.

I no longer think of myself as an alpine snowboarder, but more as a carver period. Whether it's on skis, in hard boots, or soft boots. I think there is an understanding of carving as end, rather than a means to an end in this community, that skiers, and regular snowboarders don't quite get. I really like the posse that Jorge put's together for his trips. It's all about carving, never mind what is used to do it.

So yes, I would like to see a soft boot carving section, and a ski carving section.

BobD

As to beer...I am a softbooter, and I consider myself a "Flying Dog 'SnakeDog' Ale" microbrew....Dano, you seem more like Pabst Blue Ribbon. LOL.

;) ;) It's all good....no worries.

Gravity Is Life.

What's wrong with Peeber?? Jeeze now we're going to start the beer snobbery too? The best beer is the one that is cold and in my hand. The best carve is the one you are laying down.

Snowing like a bastard and no chance for me to get out until Sat. am. Maybe.

As I understood the original poll ( which looking back may be wrong ) is Should softbooters have their own Forum. As in a subset next to the other main listings on Carving Community as chef and boardski suggested.

:biggthump

I voted yes, thought I agree with Tom, and he voted no :)

There are techniques for softboot carving at flatter angles which are different from hardboot carving at high angles. If I was primarily a softbooter, I would love a forum with the level of general expertise and tech talk that bomber sometimes provides, where I could ask technical questions.

I think if you ask "how do I carve a deep heelside turn," the question 1) would warrant different advice for softies and hardboots, 2) would receive exactly zero useful replies in any softboot snowboarding forum I can think of, and 3) would turn into into a weird hardboot/softboot pissing match on bomber.

Those 3 points indicate the need for a vaguely well-mannered, knowledgable softboot forum here.

I voted yes, thought I agree with Tom, and he voted no

Ha ha! You're right, Ken. I was thinking that we're all a carving community without wondering about the gear -- i.e. welcome all carvers to the same forum. I read the question as "should we separate the forums" -- with the amount of noise on the carving forum I think we might as well keep it all together!

Yes.

Between the softboot trolls, the increasing number of softboot carvers, and the fact that many of us hardbooters love to ride softies sometimes it makes a ton of sense to separate softboot and hardboot discussions. They are different.

That would also keep softboot discussions out of the "Off Topic" where they don't really belong.

But, what happens to powder riding threads where some of us are on hardboots and some of us are on softboots? They do not really belong in the "Off Topic" either.

Time to make softboot bindings Fin. :biggthump

I voted > "I couldn't give a dam either way". < pretty magnanimous for a close minded cave man conservative huh ;)

Announcer Voice> This sarcasm brought to you "BooterButter" makers of better board bottom base wax & CarveJuice because my alpine board just ran over your RedBull ):biggthump

Whats another park monkey on a tricycle gonna hurt, lol, so long as they stay in *edit> stay in their not there own room ( thanks Phil W ) ,smoke their dope and Sherms outside, pickup their Micky's Bigmouth bottles, leave the lid up , and keep Napalm Death down to 100 decibels after 10pm.

They wont stay here long there are to many mature adult people here, plus a lot of techno & gadget types and a lot of peaceful family type normal folks with real job's here in this forum, and besides Fin has one of those 195 Burners to flatten any flame'rs from peeing on the forum rug. :p

Whats another park monkey on a tricycle gonna hurt, lol, so long as they stay in there ...

:)

They'd be needing to go to school too, so they learn the difference between "their" and there.

Thinking about it, we should split not on type of footwear, but on ability to actually type "laugh out loud" (or even use a macro if you feel the need to do it a lot).

:)

They'd be needing to go to school too, so they learn the difference between "their" and there.

Thinking about it, we should split not on type of footwear, but on ability to actually type "laugh out loud" (or even use a macro if you feel the need to do it a lot).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evar sins I took they Evaline Wood sped rid'in corse my riden has improved won-der-ful-e, and me comprenshun has gotin a lod booter to, also me now no how tu uze the spill chucker, thamks to Evalin Wood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evar sins I took they Evaline Wood sped rid'in corse my riden has improved won-der-ful-e, and me comprenshun has gotin a lod booter to, also me now no how tu uze the spill chucker, thamks to Evalin Wood.

I still have that album in my vinyl collection:freak3:

of course that was before spill chuckers

"What's wrong with Peeber?? Jeeze now we're going to start the beer snobbery too? The best beer is the one that is cold and in my hand. The best carve is the one you are laying down."....CarveDog.

Ha ha...good point on the beer-snobbery issue. I have hoisted plenty of PBR and Schltz and Rolling Rock in my day (actually for a cheap college beer, Rolling Rock is one of my favorites!)...and you are right: the best is the cold one in hand after a good day on the mountain. I think what started it was a comment someone else made about not taking Miller Light to a microbrew convention...trying to infer softbooters as the Miller Light and hardbooters as microbrews. LOL. :cool:

It's all good....it's all cool....let's all ride. :)