Note to New Members ×

Nidecker Supermatic bindings

gkanai

3 hours ago, rjnakata said:

Is this assessment from test riding, or hands-on inspection? 

The loop is definitely large, but it intrude into the boot out zone?

This heel loop is much larger than most other heel loops, and much larger than other Nidecker binding heel loops. Unless one rides a very wide board or very steep angles, this binding will cause boot-out at lower edge angles than bindings with comparatively compact heel loops. In fact, it may do so even on a very wide board for big-footed riders. Photos of this and other bindings on Nidecker's website, and the photos (and reports) in this thread, provide an easy way to see how large it is--and how large it is relative to other more typical bindings.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rjnakata said:

...I'm looking forward to actual ride reports or if not that, from folks that have held these in their hands.  Post 'um up!

I have seen them in person. They did not shrink. They looked exactly like pictures you see on Nidecker's website and videos posted on this very thread: very bulky.

If someone has a pair and would be willing to post measurements I can compare them to a set of Flows for example. You’d probably have to measure out from the centre bolts though to the four corners plus middle length toe to heel, plus height on the heel cup. 

The Flows eliminate the heel cup by using the cables. The bottom of your boot heel remains the boot-out edge along with the lever on the hiback. So it’s not super significant but the lower the heel cup goes the more if affects the  board up on edge. Unless you have super small feet every cm counts.

Another comment: To get out of the binding you have to push a small lever down near the inside of your rear heel. The beauty of a binding like this is the ease of getting in / getting out (especially for old guys). Having to reach all the way down to where your finger nearly touches the board may not be much fun. If the lever were a pull instead of a push you could attach a leash that could wrap around your knee so you wouldn't have to reach so far. It would be more like an Intech binding (pull to exit). 

These bindings were obviously well engineered. I wonder why they didn't make this a pull instead of a push? Maybe because a pull might unintentionally get released?

I lined my Supermatics up next to the Now O-drives on my Coiler BXFR. I made sure the front of both bindings were flush to the same point, and took these photos. The heel cups on the Supermatics are indeed beefy, but there did not appear to be more overhang. I’m going to run them on my powder board first, which is a Rossi Sushi, and it’s got plenty of width for my size 10’s with modest angles (30F, 12 R).  I’m impressed with how smooth and easy it is to get in an out, and they felt solid on the carpet test.

D3D422B5-B849-4575-A3E4-BB67F30087CE.jpeg

73E74321-10CF-4A44-814F-A71EEA53D16D.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, andygere said:

I lined my Supermatics up next to the Now O-drives on my Coiler BXFR. I made sure the front of both bindings were flush to the same point, and took these photos. The heel cups on the Supermatics are indeed beefy, but there did not appear to be more overhang. I’m going to run them on my powder board first, which is a Rossi Sushi, and it’s got plenty of width for my size 10’s with modest angles (30F, 12 R).  I’m impressed with how smooth and easy it is to get in an out, and they felt solid on the carpet test.

D3D422B5-B849-4575-A3E4-BB67F30087CE.jpeg

73E74321-10CF-4A44-814F-A71EEA53D16D.jpeg

I was just about to do exactly that with my O-Drives and Supermatics.  I'm a bit perplexed about the "every cm counts" comment.  To be honest, I ride softies maybe 5 times a year if that and can be completely off base. Yea the heel loop is beefy, but compared to other binding I have in front of me, I cant imagine that 1, 2 or even 3cm is gonna be that straw the camel is gonna bootout on or not. The binding might not be the proper focus here, more than riding a board that is an appropriate width for your foot length.  The 25.5cm model of "one-size-fits-all" is the main reason I stopped enjoying softies. I think I have Burton Step-On X's, Unions and Cartels around on my son's old rides that I can do a comparison tonight. 👍 

• Like 1

Here’s a few photos of the Supermatics lined up next to Flow NX2s. Toe end of both squared to the same line.  Back end of binding bases virtually the same at 10” with foot bed in extended setting. Bottom edge of Supermatic heel cup is 3-1/2” above the top surface of the board. Board would need to be at nearly 90 degrees for it to interfere. Overhang of the boot heel, if any, will contact snow first.

28BEF037-7934-4073-AF5C-6F88DC0EE993.jpeg

34468D0C-E7DE-494F-BAC2-AD33A37E1370.jpeg

Edited by andygere
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, Kneel said:

I was just about to do exactly that with my O-Drives and Supermatics.  I'm a bit perplexed about the "every cm counts" comment.  To be honest, I ride softies maybe 5 times a year if that and can be completely off base. Yea the heel loop is beefy, but compared to other binding I have in front of me, I cant imagine that 1, 2 or even 3cm is gonna be that straw the camel is gonna bootout on or not. The binding might not be the proper focus here, more than riding a board that is an appropriate width for your foot length.  The 25.5cm model of "one-size-fits-all" is the main reason I stopped enjoying softies. I think I have Burton Step-On X's, Unions and Cartels around on my son's old rides that I can do a comparison tonight. 👍 

Clarification, I think “every cm counts” if there is some level of boot/binding overhang using lower angles with soft boots. I’m sure once the waist widths get super-wide it’s less of a concern. 

You’re correct, my normal softboot carving board has a 25.5cm waist and even with smaller boot size 8.5 I had to be careful with carving bootout at less than about 27 deg binding angle, even using low-rise plates. In my opinion at least the rear foot has to be lower than 27deg when riding all mountain in soft boots, so a cm here or there does affect things.

I will be moving as close to 28cm waist as Bruce can get this season. So we‘ll see if that allows me to get the rear foot angles down and still keep overhang to a minimum. 

Has anyone thought about how we can release the rear binding without having to bend down all the way until your finger almost touches the topsheet? I've thought about some sort of wand - maybe 16" long that you could reach down & release. Problem is where to store the wand when you are riding? Probably not a concern if you're under 50yo. 

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

Has anyone thought about how we can release the rear binding without having to bend down all the way until your finger almost touches the topsheet? I've thought about some sort of wand - maybe 16" long that you could reach down & release. Problem is where to store the wand when you are riding? Probably not a concern if you're under 50yo. 

I've kind of thought about that a little, being in the >50 age group and suffering from short arms. In practice, it's not super hard to reach the release, but at the end of a long day it might be. Something 4 or 5 inches long might be all it takes, perhaps with a T handle that looks like the end of an SUP paddle, so I would be comfortable and safe to have in hand while riding.  

Thandle.webp

Edited by andygere

I was thinking of cutting a ski pole down to maybe 16" or so, putting a small crutch tip to each end and creating a velcro "holster" on the outside of my rear calf.

Each time you approach the lift, you pull the wand out of it's holster, release the rear binding and put it back in the holster.  

Am I overthinking this?

20 hours ago, Corey said:

Being that this is a US site, couldn't you just use your Glock? 

😝

Yeah, but which one?  The G44 makes the most sense now that 22LR prices are back down, G17L may reach without even squeezing the trigger, G36 for concealment and super fun factor? So many choices... :confused:

I spent half a day on the Supermatics and here are my impressions. I was riding a Rossi Sushi, on groomed packed powder at Kirkwood.  The bindings were easy to set up, and my back foot snapped in easily and precisely every time.  In terms of riding, they felt firm, precise and comfortable. They felt as good as any other binding I’ve ridden, but remember I was riding a short powder board on groomed conditions. I did have a minor mishap on the chairlift, and lesson learned. I used my back foot to clear some snow off the deck of my board, and in the process I inadvertently depressed the release on the front foot. My forefoot stayed in the binding, and I was using the leash provided with the bindings, so there was no real risk of the board dropping. I was able to get my front foot clicked back in, so no issues getting off the chair, but I did learn to avoid kicking around on the deck while riding the lift.  Overall I really like these bindings, and look forward to trying them on one of my Burton Customs or my Coiler BXFR to see how they work for more aggressive riding.

• 3 weeks later...

My review based on my first day on Supermatics.

I'm comparing these to the previous generation of Flow NX2-CX semi-step-in bindings - not to any traditional 2 strap binding. I have not ridden a traditional binding in many years. 

I LOVE my year old NX2-CXs. They are easy in / easy out and support very well. To get in you slide your foot in from the rear, lift the highback and close the lever. Getting out is the reverse. Quick, easy & straightforward. 

The Supermatics on the other hand just require you to step in. The downward motion closes the highback automatically. However, I can't feel or easily hear the click that signals you are locked in. On more than one run I started down the hill and found that my rear binding wasn't closed. I had to stomp in to make sure it was closed. There is no doubt with the NX2-CXs that you are locked in. 

I've also run Intech (Fintech) bindings with hardboots. With those you can normally hear and feel the pins locking into the heel receiver. 

When riding the Supermatics, they seemed about as supportive as the NX2-CXs. Maybe just a little bit less supportive because of the way they grab your boot but I would have to ride them some more to be sure. 

At the end of a run to get out of the NX2-CXs, you flip down the lever & highback and get out. To exit the Supermatics you have to reach down to a lever near your rear foot instep and push the lever down. This is not a big difference but having to reach down to the bottom of your calf compared to reaching down to your instep is the hardest part of bending down - maybe and additional 10" - 12" reach. 

Also, you can only pull your boot out of the binding while you are pressing the lever down. You can't press the lever down, let go and then pull your boot out. So you have to squat down, push & hold the lever down and pull your boot out before you stand back up. Maybe not an issue if you are in your 30s but it does make a difference when you are in your mid-60s. 

So, I've only given them one day (about 15 runs) so there may be some amount of creating some muscle memory. 

But, at this point if I could snap my fingers and transform my Supermatics to NX2-CXs, I probably would.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 6:36 PM, andygere said:

Here’s a few photos of the Supermatics lined up next to Flow NX2s. Toe end of both squared to the same line.  Back end of binding bases virtually the same at 10” with foot bed in extended setting. Bottom edge of Supermatic heel cup is 3-1/2” above the top surface of the board. Board would need to be at nearly 90 degrees for it to interfere. Overhang of the boot heel, if any, will contact snow first.

28BEF037-7934-4073-AF5C-6F88DC0EE993.jpeg

34468D0C-E7DE-494F-BAC2-AD33A37E1370.jpeg

That differential is massive. 
For just about everyone, it won’t matter and the convenience will outweigh the performance loss. 
For others beyond a size 9 who are really tipping the board to high edge angle, it will dig in. 
Don’t think of it only as going from edging to on your ass either… most of the time, it’s just the feeling of drag in softer groom. 
A thin, metal heel loop (like a Drake Podium), a very high heel loop (like a Now), or none at all (like the Flow) is ideal. 

Edited by Rob Stevens
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 12:26 AM, andygere said:

I spent half a day on the Supermatics and here are my impressions. I was riding a Rossi Sushi, on groomed packed powder at Kirkwood.  The bindings were easy to set up, and my back foot snapped in easily and precisely every time.  In terms of riding, they felt firm, precise and comfortable. They felt as good as any other binding I’ve ridden, but remember I was riding a short powder board on groomed conditions. I did have a minor mishap on the chairlift, and lesson learned. I used my back foot to clear some snow off the deck of my board, and in the process I inadvertently depressed the release on the front foot. My forefoot stayed in the binding, and I was using the leash provided with the bindings, so there was no real risk of the board dropping. I was able to get my front foot clicked back in, so no issues getting off the chair, but I did learn to avoid kicking around on the deck while riding the lift.  Overall I really like these bindings, and look forward to trying them on one of my Burton Customs or my Coiler BXFR to see how they work for more aggressive riding.

Does anyone else have any direct experience with this binding?

After more consideration I think my biggest complaint is that to get out you have to squat all the way down to depress the release lever with your rear index finger and at the same time pull your rear foot up & out of the binding. You can't just reach down, release the lever and then stand back up and pull your foot out. For me this is a difficult maneuver and puts a lot of strain on my front knee. 

Other perspectives are appreciated.  

On 12/19/2022 at 8:28 AM, JohnE said:

Does anyone else have any direct experience with this binding?

After more consideration I think my biggest complaint is that to get out you have to squat all the way down to depress the release lever with your rear index finger and at the same time pull your rear foot up & out of the binding. You can't just reach down, release the lever and then stand back up and pull your foot out. For me this is a difficult maneuver and puts a lot of strain on my front knee. 

Other perspectives are appreciated.  

I have a few more days on these and have some perspective. I made a small wooden “wand” to make touching the release lever a bit easier. It makes getting out a cinch and very quick. That said, I rode them yesterday in heavy wet snow, and forgot the wand. I was still able to get out pretty easily, once I understood how to flex my foot forward as I touched the release.  Popping in even with heavy wet snow was flawless and secure.  In terms of riding, these perform as well as most high performance soft boot bindings, with no compromise compared to manually buckled bindings.  The locking ratchets are a real improvement over those on my Flow NX-2s, which always changed adjustment once your foot was out. The Supermatics absolutely hold my adjustment setting and required zero fussing with the buckles once initially set. The felt firm and tight every time I clicked them in. Most of the time I found the click easy to hear and feel, but yesterday in strong wind and a lot of soft snow all around, it wasn’t as easy. Once I stomped my back foot in, I simply hopped to ensure the were solidly locked in, and they were every time. The more I ride these bindings, the more I like them.

In terms of boot out, I carved as hard as I could on some groomers to cause it, but wasn’t able to. The wide Rossi Sushi certainly helped, but I think folks that are worried about the heal cup causing problems are misguided, I just don’t see how it would cause the anticipated problem.

Note that I’m a 56 year old with pretty lousy flexibility and short arms.  

C643924D-046C-4B06-AF5E-D8698E831E52.jpeg

Edited by andygere
  • Like 1