Note to New Members ×

Nidecker Supermatic bindings

gkanai

I posted about these on another thread. The mechanism looks more similar to the clew system than the flows. It has promise I think with the right frame material. 

This video gives better angles on the mechanism. 

I am not a fan of the single lever release lever location and type.

Def want to demo them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered at set from my local shop who actually had a pair. I got to try them out in the shop.They seem pretty stiff to me, the base plate is beefy. I have tried the Burton Step-Ons and I think Nideckers challenge is a better set up. I really like how the heel engages, its difficult to explain without having the binding. I’ll have a set late summer. 

@Scott.CreerBurton has a single lever release, intec’s have a single lever release. What I like is you still get the option of a regular binding setup. You can adjust the straps, release the straps or use the step in system. You have options. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, gkanai said:

Just curious- you'd rather have a two-step release? And where would you put the release if not on the base?

I am not a fan of the yoga I would need to do to get to the release location. I like the release location and pull type of the clews better. I don't have issue with a single lever design.

I also am not a fan of by the base location due to snow pack and icing at that location. 20 years ago that was the same location and pull direction as the rental step ons used at my local mountain where I worked. There were issues with icing getting into the lever mechanism. Lots of accidental releases and issues with the lever not allowing for locking. This might have been solved in 20 years. 

I would have liked to have seen something similar to the clews or just a pull wire handle set up maybe, threaded through the Highback. 

I am excited to see these in person. Being in the Midwest, strapping time is a large portion of snowboard time. So I am all about quick entry solutions that match strap performance. 

I did preorder some clews for next season to give a try.

• 1 month later...

Those look amazing, but I'm somewhat fearful of accidental releases.

There were somewhat similar bindings in the past called Apo Dual Entry Bindings and I've seen those open accidentally in a lift having the snowboard fall into the abyss.

Waiting for reviews and opinions...

Edited by uri

I got a chance to play with these yesterday. Just step in and out - no riding.

They look good. They'll probably work fine. The locking feel is better than the step-ons. With the step-ons you really have to pay attention to that second click. With these you feel locked in as soon as you step in. Stepping out is pretty much the same as the step-ons. Not as easy as the videos would have you believe, you really have to lift your foot out. When you're locked in, just like the Step-ons, you feel locked in. I don't think there's any chance of them coming "undone".

Other than that they have same downside as the step-ons: a really thick heel loop. 

For me, I'll be staying with the Flow NX2s. Between the Flows, Step-ons and Supermatics the "step in" process takes the same time for me. On the Flows I stop, dig my toe edge into the snow, shove the foot in and lift the back. The step-ons are the same but I dig the heel edge. I think the Supermatics feel very similar. For me the only real difference is the heel loop that is just so massive on the Step-ons and Supermatics.

YMMV

Here's another review of the Supermatics if you're interested:

One more thought... The setup is very familiar to anyone who has ever set up Flow bindings. I think that people who can spend the time to set up the Flows properly would have a good time and those who have not been happy with Flows will find the same frustrations. Something to keep in mind.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CanosSnow said:

Is there any info about bigger sizes for the supermatics? I'm a size 48 (32 MP) but I can't find any info about a possible XL size?

Thank you!

Sucks to be us, Godzilla. Nidecker / Flow takes their L platform and lengthens it a little for XL but inexplicably bloats the width by a ton, making for lots of lateral slop. The NX2s and Kaons, which I think the Supermatics are based on, both have the same aggravating footprint. I won’t make that mistake again…maybe.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, JRAZZ said:

I got a chance to play with these yesterday. Just step in and out - no riding.

Other than that they have same downside as the step-ons: a really thick heel loop. 

…For me, I'll be staying with the Flow NX2s.

…For me the only real difference is the heel loop that is just so massive on the Step-ons and Supermatics.

Thanks for that. I have my frustrations with the NX2s—I still can’t quite get on with their leather strap—but the lack of heel cup is such a significant boot out improvement over my previous bindings, I’d also have a hard time going back. 

5 hours ago, jng said:

@JRAZZ Can the highbacks fold down for travel?

Yes, it's like what you have with the NX2s - the highbacks fold down and press against the straps. I'm not a fan of this in my NX2s and not a fan of it here. In reality they stay almost upright and my NX2s have caught on low flying chairs when trying to offload with hilarious results for everyone but me. This is even higher. 

With my NX2s I usually keep them open so they don't catch so I think that would be a solution for these as well.

59 minutes ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Thanks for that. I have my frustrations with the NX2s—I still can’t quite get on with their leather strap—but the lack of heel cup is such a significant boot out improvement over my previous bindings, I’d also have a hard time going back. 

I agree, those straps are not great but I think all the new ones have the TPE straps like the ones in the video. I have a pair of NX2 Teams which I think are the best version out there especially because of those straps. They are much much improved over the leather straps. 

On 4/11/2022 at 2:14 AM, lordmetroland said:

Sucks to be us, Godzilla. Nidecker / Flow takes their L platform and lengthens it a little for XL but inexplicably bloats the width by a ton, making for lots of lateral slop. The NX2s and Kaons, which I think the Supermatics are based on, both have the same aggravating footprint. I won’t make that mistake again…maybe.

I found this webpage a bit after I posted that question about the XL sizes. I think a proper XL version might exist. In theory it should. Let's hope 🤞🏼🤞🏼

JRAZZ - my riding buddy & I too ride the latest NX2-GT (CX?) (non-hybrid model). We also both ride the latest Flow Talon boots. We both LOVE them. The design of the Supermatic looks very similar to the NX2 except for the ratcheting step-in. This looks like it would save bending down to step in. Bending down to get out would be just about the same. 

I don't think that I would have a concern about unintentional release. Since this is a multi-tooth ratchet, it seems likely that you might slip from tooth to tooth rather than a catastrophic release (my speculation). 

You mention that these have a really thick heel loop. Not sure I understand. If so, how is this a downside? If I get a boot out on the heelside, it is usually the heel of my boot that contacts the snow first. 

Where did you get to try them out?

• 6 months later...

Just ordered and received my new Nidecker Supermatics. They were released Monday 10/10. I tried to order directly from Nidecker but they sold out. I ordered from Geiger's in Cleveland and received them on Friday 10/14. Unfortunately, they sent me two right bindings. I called them and another customer in Florida received two left bindings. So we're both sending them back so they can make 2 pairs. 

They look pretty slick but they are definitely heavy. Maybe 50% more than my Flow NX2-GTs. 

Whelp, it's only money. 😐  Tried to buy them direct as well on the 10th and too was surprised how quickly they sold out.  Went down the list of dealers and found some in CT.  Two days later they were on my doorstep.  They will be replacing O-Drives.  Compared to O-Drives, EVERYTHING feels heavy.  Did the obligitory carpet ride, first impression, they are VERY easy to get in and out of. 👍  We'll see what happens on a faster surface affected by gravity in tandem with a belly full of oatmeal. That release lever sure looks pretty far, but the effort still beats the hell out of sitting in the snow.  They rated stiffness at 8/10, but these feel every bit as stiff as the 10/10 O-Drives.  The straps are definitely an improvement. I only ride softies maybe 3 days a year if I'm lucky to hit the hero pow days right...

IMG_2224.jpg.8640da4ab7e422edcdc0a1d36cf102ca.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. For that same reason I still can’t quit my Flow NX2s with their super-low length, despite my ongoing issues with their leather strap pressing on the bridge of my foot. Trying to get the newer webbed strap but apparently parts are likely unobtanium until Jan-Feb. 

Edited by ShortcutToMoncton