Note to New Members ×

Binding failure caused by screw

weather_nerd

Today I had a binding failure (Nidecker Freecarves) on my last run. My GPS watch had me above 40 mph when my back foot came loose. I slid a few hundred feet on my back but I was 100% fine, luckily. I saw that my toe piece wad sliding around and figured a screw had come loose. 

I just took it apart to add loctite to each screw and was surprised to see that the offending screw had actually had a few threads sheared off. It looks like it was too short, despite coming with the bindings. 

Anyone see this happen before?

20210219_154445.jpg

20210219_183125.jpg

Two options: 

1. That screw and all of its buddies only have a few threads engaged, and one eventually pulled out. Check how many turns of engagement the rest have. They may all be close behind. 

2. That screw was loose and backed out far enough that only 2 threads were engaged, and it pulled out. 

Either way, thank the snow gods for the positive outcome and buy new screws and T-nuts for all 8 locations. Either longer versions in case 1, or the same in case 2. 

2 hours ago, lowrider said:

Worse if it was a front foot coming out. Twisted the hell out of my knee but lived to tell the tale. Buy a lottery ticket and consider it a life lesson.  4 threads of engagement required  at a minimum !!! 

Agreed, I was lucky it was the back foot. I'm not sure if the screw was simply too short (canting + heel lift shims on that screw) or, as Corey said, the screw had actually loosened out to two threads.

1 hour ago, lonbordin said:

40 mph on Carve RS knockoffs... I hope you're on the diminutive end of the human scale.

Yes, I am on the smaller side. But regardless, going fast on plastic bindings is not the best idea I've ever had...

1 hour ago, Mr.E said:

Not sure when you bought those bindings, but they haven't been made in many years. That screw may have had an exceptional service life.

I bought these as "new old stock", only used four days so far. The screws should still be fine. I think it was either too short or it had loosened, as Corey said.

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Two options: 

1. That screw and all of its buddies only have a few threads engaged, and one eventually pulled out. Check how many turns of engagement the rest have. They may all be close behind. 

2. That screw was loose and backed out far enough that only 2 threads were engaged, and it pulled out. 

Either way, thank the snow gods for the positive outcome and buy new screws and T-nuts for all 8 locations. Either longer versions in case 1, or the same in case 2. 

I though of both of those possibilities too. All of the other screws have plenty of engagement, but I think that this particular screw may have been too short due to the canting and heel shims together. Either way, I'll be getting new hardware.

I have a set of those 20yr old binders with stepin that I bought NOS a few years ago; the original box came with different length screws to accommodate the cant/lift shims, I will double check mine to make sure the proper screws were used. Since they're all plastic, at 200# I only use them on my powder boards

On 2/20/2021 at 8:17 AM, b0ardski said:

I have a set of those 20yr old binders with stepin that I bought NOS a few years ago; the original box came with different length screws to accommodate the cant/lift shims, I will double check mine to make sure the proper screws were used. Since they're all plastic, at 200# I only use them on my powder boards

The box included longer screws for the heel lift for the heel shim, but not the toe shim. Lesson learned - check every screw!

• 11 months later...

Same thing happened to me on those bindings. The bolts they provided are too short, and too soft.  And given that there's just a smidge of clearance between the T-nuts and the topsheet of the board, there's very little room for the bolts to be too long either.  When I use these bindings I check that they are torqued down hard before each use.  I got them as a cheap interim solution and extra binding to have around; if I planned to keep using them I'd be looking for a selection of hardened bolts to replace the included junk ones.  And looking for a better selection of shims.  Does one have to make shims/cants, or are they available somewhere?  

So it's been a year, did you get them working well, or ditch em?

Terrifying... :eek:  

Not the experience of the OP, which probably did have a amattering of terror, but that someone doesn't cherish their life enough to shim and/or cant a bindiing that appeared last in a catalog in 2001.

Edited by Kneel
oops

By the way, loctite and plastic don't mix. loctite and any epoxy doesn't mix. I don't let loctite anywhere near anything snowboard related.

Should use something safe for plastics or use something like vibra-tite.

Despite what anyone says, the traditional loctite formulas (loctite blue); is designed to cure in an anaerobic environment (you apply it and screw it in wet). That blue dry strip on screws you see from the factory is not the same chemical.

• Like 1