Note to New Members ×

Hardboot Carving worth watching

Lurch

On 11/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, GeoffV said:

Yes, slide-locking seems to help slow the speed down, but makes linked turns not as smooth. I find myself traversing more to scrub speed.

it's fun to play around with and useful when chasing gates, but it looks like a skier trying to carve like a snowboarder. ie. out of control, yet need more speed and angulation. tough technique to balance (pun) and be fluid. traversing and finishing the turn/carve is more fluid looking, builds confidence with control and produces less spray/drag imo. that poor guy trying to film around all that spray. dragnatraction.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 11:39 AM, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Great carving, personally the excessive hop is jerky and breaks the otherwise smooth flow…..and if you’re going to do it, why only into heelside carves? 

My guess is the heelside "hop" is to transfer weight from the front to the back foot.   Not at all smooth.  

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, SnowFerret said:

This is more of a “what the heck did I just watch” video than a video of worthwhile hardbooting. You need to skip to about 7:20 for any actual riding. 

Can somebody explain the ridiculous lift and canting?

I saw him in other videos with that setup.  I figured he was attempting to offset some physical abnormalities... it appears he's doing this on purpose to achieve that riding "style".

He's always really pumped which is cool but his riding hasn't really progressed.  I know he is often surrounded by really strong riders both on soft and hard equipment... not sure why he hasn't absorbed some of that knowledge or maybe this is his shtick. 🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, SnowFerret said:

This is more of a “what the heck did I just watch” video than a video of worthwhile hardbooting. 

Full acknowledge, especially considering me riding flat/flat with my F2 Titaniums 😅.

I get knee pain just by watching this. I think he tinkered this absurdity either to compensate a toe side skill deficit or/and to get more (irritated) viewers.

Edited by nextcarve

On 12/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, SnowFerret said:

This is more of a “what the heck did I just watch” video than a video of worthwhile hardbooting. You need to skip to about 7:20 for any actual riding. 

Can somebody explain the ridiculous lift and canting?

As another experimenter, I'll congratulate anyone who has the courage to show their experimental setups.

The riders look relatively short for a 53cm stance (watch the vid with English captions). Lots of rear heel lift will make a long stance feel less stretched out. But the extreme canting also drives the riders rear knee forward and across the board towards the heelside, and the other knee.

The resulting stance seems dysfunctional to me, with twist and slope of the rear leg forcing the rider to put most of their weight onto the front foot.

The design of the cant/lift may have utility for someone trying to correct for one short leg or with significant skeletal misalignment.

• 1 month later...

PureBoarding did an event in Central NY (ToggenBurg).

Ray was there. I distinctly remember him telling me he learned how to lay it out heelside first. Which blew my mind. Also remember him telling me he wore a back protector; I think he might've mentiond he got hit from behind before while sitting on the slope.

Sometime during that event, Joerg told me in the lodge to do good in school instead of X (I think it was snowboarding a lot).

Really didn't get it until later on. Must've been hinting at being able to afford the good stuff and ride at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...