Note to New Members ×

Hardboot Carving worth watching

Lurch

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

a blast from the past (feb2017) ... Alpine Snowboard Master's Riding ( TEAM Allflex ) ... 

From the same session. A slo mo edit from a high def video on Vimeo (URL reference in video).
Riders are named and nuances of style, and trunk and arm movement, can be seen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 1:54 AM, west carven said:

a race style of free carving?

He seems to be emphasizing the slarve (or whatever you call it - stivot, slide-lock, butter, etc) at the beginning of some turns.  You only need to do this if there are trees in your very near future, or if you have too much speed coming into a gate or need to make a quick line change.  He has plenty of room so maybe he is practicing "ride how you race", assuming he is an active racer.  Upper body gets out of sync with his lower body and board sometimes.  Some moments of greatness.  I like these glimpses of Benjamin Karl freecarving his GS board.  True GS boards are beasts, the 21m+ tail is super fast and does NOT want to finish.  Your first turn on a GS board will most likely not be a turn but instead just a tip-over straight to your face/ass with the board going basically straight.  Feels like riding a 2x8 at first.  You really have to wait for speed to build and centrifugal force to develop.  But once you figure it out, on the right slope and right conditions there's nothing better. 

On 5/30/2022 at 1:54 AM, west carven said:

howdy

a race style of free carving? ... 

Thanks @west carven

I played it in slo-mo and wondered more about the function of "rodeo arm". I'm beginning to think it is an overt sign of a very functional and deliberate transition in lower body direction at a time when the rider is unweighted. A feature, not a bug!

I'm going to put my thoughts in the Rodeo arm thread.

I learned other stuff from watching. Rider seems to be deliberately practicing a slarve entry into the turns, and clearly annoyed when he stuffs one up towards the end. Practice makes perfect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, Beckmann AG said:

Is the outside shoulder lagging, or is the board gradually getting ahead creating the appearance of a lagging shoulder?

There is a prevalent perception that one needs to actually ‘get’ onto the nose of the board to initiate a turn. This is essentially false. Rather, one needs to remain in an effective location tip to tail as the board rolls from edge to edge, in order to make use of the bend that develops.

Perception being what it is, it’s easy to mistake the pressure that develops under the lead foot  as something that needs to be sought by way of forward movement, rather than something that will develop if one is simply in the right place at the right time.

So, as you enter the heelside turn, ensure that you have enough weight on the rear foot so that the board cannot rotate underneath you as the turn develops. This being a common byproduct of too much weight on the front heel, or merely initiating heelside edge engagement with the front foot rather than both feet.

In order to engage with both feet, it's often helpful to find the heelside edge first with the rear foot.

Initiating the heelside turn with the front foot is detrimental to your progression. I learned this the hard way. Erik was able to point this out in my riding very quickly. Proper instruction is invaluable.

• 2 weeks later...

howdy

another throwback in japanese ... Ultimate Carving ... 

About 15 to 20 years ago, professional surfer/professional snowboarder Tomoyasu Toda fascinated me with his sharp turns, carving tricks, and air turns on the slopes like surfing on an alpine snowboard. We will send you a video ultimate carving that contains the pattern of riding the VIRUS SNOWBORD brilliantly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting watching a lot of the Japanese riders and their form. I suspect a lot of them are racers as they are  slide-lock'ing/scrubbing speed at each turn before initiating into a carve. It was interesting watching that play out on the steeper video (4/29/22 post).  Yes, slide-locking seems to help slow the speed down, but makes linked turns not as smooth. I find myself traversing more to scrub speed. I don't have a racing background and I am still learning in my beer-league racing how to slide-lock in the gates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeoffV said:

Interesting watching a lot of the Japanese riders and their form. I suspect a lot of them are racers as they are  slide-lock'ing/scrubbing speed at each turn before initiating into a carve. It was interesting watching that play out on the steeper video (4/29/22 post).  Yes, slide-locking seems to help slow the speed down, but makes linked turns not as smooth. I find myself traversing more to scrub speed. I don't have a racing background and I am still learning in my beer-league racing how to slide-lock in the gates. 

That's the first thing I noticed as well thinking that was a skill I might like to learn, especially for riding here in the east.  Better for offensive carving on tight icy trails rather then defensive carving.  I may do that already to a point, but have no racing chops to confirm...