THRIST Superconductor vs. KESSLER 168

Comapedrosa

Hi, I’m already thinking about my next acquisition for *next* season. The boards on my shortlist are the Sperconductor and the 168 - both seem to earn glowing reviews from all you sages and super athletes. How should I think about this trade off?

As for more infor about me: my quiver includes a Donek Monster, a Coiler Stubby v2, and an older Swoard... I’ve been carving since 1991, but still suck at it :-). Live on the West Coast now and am looking for something that makes the medium carve as easy as possible for me (not slalom nor giant). I like the liveliness of the Monster, but also the stability and steadfast hold of Coiler...

Thx so much for you thoughts!

I haven't ridden a Thirst, but I have owned a couple of Coilers, a Donek, couple of SGs, an Oxess and the Kessler 168 in question. What I can say is that the K168 is, by far, the easiest snowboard (hardboot or softboot) I've ever ridden, full stop. Sorry, I mean, period.

Winningest board maker from the world cup and Olympics, dominating for years, reputation for consistency and durability vs little known maker. Not to take anything away from Thirst because I'm sure they're good boards and the majority of reviews are positive, but I still know which I'd pick... I'll try a Thirst one day, just not today. Might buy a PC actually.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

I have a custom K168 and it's a staggeringly good board. It will carve super tight turns on the steep as happily as it does GS turns. I got it this year and expected that it would carve tight very well but figured it would get busy or sketchy at higher speeds and it just doesn't.

I've never ridden the Thrist but have heard good things....that said it's hard to go wrong with the Kessler. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Kirk said:

I have a custom K168 and it's a staggeringly good board. It will carve super tight turns on the steep as happily as it does GS turns. I got it this year and expected that it would carve tight very well but figured it would get busy or sketchy at higher speeds and it just doesn't.

I thought my Kessler was super stable at high speeds until I rode my Oxess. New definition of stable was formed. The Oxess feels like it is levitating.

In saying that, the Kessler definitely doesn't get sketchy at higher speeds!

Edited by daveo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Which ever board you end up with it must have the same top sheet as the proteus!

🙂 the green arrow? You’re too kind!

29 minutes ago, AcousticBoarder said:

Great thread! I was wondering the same thing myself. Both are boards I want to try out! Hope I can this week! 🙂

By all means, let us know!!!

Love my K168!  ....and Love went to Pure Lust by adding a Bomber BP v2!!  It deserves all the accolades!!

The difference I see is the  K loves the nose loaded up but the Thirst design keeps ya/wants ya to stay neutral I heard....not a bad thing... just different.

Personally I'm all hot and bothered to try a Thirst SF162 !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Love my K168!  ....and Love went to Pure Lust by adding a Bomber BP v2!!  It deserves all the accolades!!

The difference I see is the  K loves the nose loaded up but the Thirst design keeps ya/wants ya to stay neutral I heard....not a bad thing... just different.

Personally I'm all hot and bothered to try a Thirst SF162 !

Interesting, I find my Kessler does not live riding nose loaded. Centered all day! 

1 hour ago, pokkis said:

Guys, stop bragging about K168, otherwise my wife will kill me getting one more board

Best board ever. 

17 minutes ago, barryj said:

Hmm.......Dave what's your stance width on your plate?    

56cm. I'm 190cm tall, however. 

Darn, that is painfull stance with plates. I have huge issues even my 54cm stance,

Luckily i'm 180 so i can survive with 54, i use 55 some times but due moving stance front and back 1-2 cm based on slope condition it is on limit with plate designs / available inserts.

Edited by pokkis

10 minutes ago, pokkis said:

Darn, that is painfull stance with plates. I have huge issues even my 54cm stance,

Luckily i'm 180 so i can survive with 54, i use 55 some times but due moving stance front and back 1-2 cm based on slope condition it is on limit with plate designs / available inserts.

56 is available in the Vistflex. 

54 is max on my Apex, so I need to use the disc to get 1cm extra each way and the heel and toe blocks to make sure there is no overhang of my boot, which also means the centre of my boot is about 0.5cm off centre of the binding, annoyingly. But it is the lesser of two evils, so I just accept it.

54 is max on Allflex also. 

Tried riding 54 this season as an experiment and I felt like I was riding a monoski at 60/55.

Edited by daveo

48 minutes ago, daveo said:

56cm. I'm 190cm tall, however. 

Hmm.....my stance is at 21 inches/53cm and 6"2'/187cm tall...

10 minutes ago, pokkis said:

I have huge issues even my 54cm stance

Poky wheres your rear axle in relation to your heel - under it or in front of your heel??

Coma...sorry to hijack your Thread!...........we will return to the regularly scheduled activity right after this K168 commercial break!!

On 2/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, barryj said:

I find riding the K168 centered gives me far better consistency and edge hold.  I vary my turn shape thru angulation and not fore and aft weight distribution like I would on a Rev or Coiler

22 minutes ago, barryj said:

Yes..... trying to move rear binding to get axle "in middle of rear foot" is giving me Huge stance And putting me in backseat  :smashfrea

Mine is front toe and middle rear heel as per the original design philosophy of the initial research done on the Apex plate JJA won gold on. 😄

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jack M
      SOLD
      Outstanding board, used about 15 days.  Selling because it's a little too close to my latest custom 180, and the wife says I need to clean out the closet! 
      10-14m KST sidecut.  20.5cm waist. 48-58cm stance width range. Similar turn shape as a 168, just 2m longer radius range, and 6cm longer length.  That is to say, this is not a straight-tail racer, but a great freecarver that will finish the turn.  Very exciting ride.  Swiss hand-made for me at 185lbs in May 2018. Factory thumbprint base grind. Factory edge bevels at 2 side, 0.8 base. Base has not been ground, edges have only been touched up with a diamond stone. Will wax before shipping. Superficial base scratches only. P-tex topsheet condition is very good. No damage. I have about $1800 into it after import tax and shipping.  Letting go for $1250 shipped to the 48 states.  I will pay the first $50 for shipping elsewhere.  Satisfaction guaranteed.

• By CSC
      Kessler World Cup K-Plate wanted.
    • By forf.dawg
      SOLD.
      Selling a used 180cm x 20cm Kessler "The Alpine"
      Used for one season, but I can't ride anymore due to work and a knee injury. Hoping it goes to someone who can put it to good use.
      Can be ridden left foot forward (regular) or right foot forward (goofy)
      Asking $700 or best offer.

• By Heenalu Kahiko
      Make me a reasonable offer. Plate is Iron Rock Stiff, used once, board is beautiful. 

• By GeoffV
      SOLD
      Up for sale is a Kessler Alpine 185 white: Stock - not custom, 4x2, UPM.
      Swiss Made. Superb condition. Originally purchased new in 2018. I purchased it last year previous sale post from @rjnakata and put 8 days on racing. The board only has about  12-15- days on it total.  Has the new stranded textured topsheet near perfect.  Base/edges near perfect.   Listed weight range is 75-100kg (165-220lbs) and turns well for my 185 lbs.  20.2 waist. This is a fun board, stable and calm, smooth at speed with large and small turn radii.   
      Kessler specs
      Reason for sale: Was hoping to get some faster times by upgrading from a 180 Kessler to the 185, but the reality is that the course I race on only has a few courses set in a season where the 185 would work and I just can't justify keeping it for 2 races a season. 

Asking $750
      buyer pays shipping. Payment via PayPal
      -Geoff

• By nekdut
      Up for sale is a race-ready Kessler SL 162cm
      20cm wide
      50cm stance width, UPM mounts as well
      Condition is nearly new.  It's only been ridden a few times and I'm selling because it is simply to stiff for me at 155lbs and my infrequent riding these day.  It probably rides great at 180-220lbs.  Some scuffing from a VIST plate but otherwise both the top and base are in excellent shape (base wax on there now).  Edges are razor sharp and have all of their life left.
      SOLD!
    • By nekdut
      Up for sale is a race-ready Kessler GS 185
      20cm wide
      50cm stance width, UPM and Vist center mounts as well
      Condition is nearly new.  It's only been ridden a few times and I'm selling because it is simply to stiff for me at 155lbs and my infrequent riding these day.  It probably rides great at 180-220lbs.  Small scuffs from a plate and some lift rash but otherwise both the top and base are in great shape (base wax on there now).  Edges are razor sharp and have all of their life left.
      Sold!

• By CamelbackRaceTeam
      🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️
      185 Kessler GS (Red top sheet)  + Apex plate + Bomber Trench Digger 3 Bindings
      Hey Guys!
      I am selling my 185 Kessler (red top sheet) with an Apex plate (UPM Mount) and Bomber TD3 bindings. This setup holds an edge through anything - I mean literally anything. This setup is definitely more on the aggressive side. I had this Kessler custom made for my height and weight. I am 5' 11" and weigh around 170 lbs. Overall, I've taken pretty good care of the board. There are no deep base scratches; however, I would recommend a base grind to get it nice clean again. 
      Asking: ~ $1750 
      Happy Carving!
      FAQ
      -----
      How long did you ride on this board for?  I rode this setup as my primary GS board for two seasons. 
      Why are you getting rid of the board? I used to race in USSA and USASA competitions but no longer compete. I don't get a chance to get out on this board as much as I used to. I would love it to go to a new owner who can enjoy it more than I can. 
      Will you sell plate, board, bindings separately? Ideally, I would like to sell the entire setup at once; however, I am willing to negotiate. 
      🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️🌲❄️

• By forf.dawg
      I am selling a new, never used 2019 Thirst Superconductor 7.1 WARP.
      175cm length
      19.0cm waist width
      H35/41.75 389 U4 4DR
      Stance spread 52cm
      LFF .291
      Specific questions are best answered by Mark (from Thirst boards) himself @ 208-929-2285
      Serial # 11MAR19 0056
      Sun Surface topsheet.
      Asking $800 OBO
      I have other items for sale and am willing to bundle. PM for Details
      Stored indoors with care in it's "baby blanket" shipping sleeve.
      text: 307-349-8630
      email: forrest.sawyer7@gmail.com

• By Algunderfoot
      New 20-21 Model CC (Cross to Carve) 165, built for a UP retail outlet. This is the first one built with Mark's updated shape, width and PFI Core, as such it came out a little stiffer than we felt appropriate for a retail floor model. It would be better suited for a heavier, or harder charging rider. The idea behind the CC is that it can be rode with a soft or Hardboot setup, emphasizing alpine form, making it ideal for the soft boot Carver aspiring to hardboot. The CC is a wider, more of an All Mountain shape, making at home in the trees, the pow, or the corduroy. This CC is symmetrical, not a WARP design, and can be set up regular or goofy.
      Specs:
      165.5 cm x 23.5 cm wide - .360 flex index. -  comparative average SCR 10.47 M. -  144.8 effective edge. New "Mellow Yellow" topsheet backprinted on durable lenticular nylon. Comes factory tuned with Faststix© base treatment, baby blanket sleeve, scrapper, thirst patch and stickers.
      Offered at $100 off normal price at $950 shipped to lower 48.