Note to New Members ×

THRIST Superconductor vs. KESSLER 168

Comapedrosa

Hi, I’m already thinking about my next acquisition for *next* season. The boards on my shortlist are the Sperconductor and the 168 - both seem to earn glowing reviews from all you sages and super athletes. How should I think about this trade off?

As for more infor about me: my quiver includes a Donek Monster, a Coiler Stubby v2, and an older Swoard... I’ve been carving since 1991, but still suck at it :-). Live on the West Coast now and am looking for something that makes the medium carve as easy as possible for me (not slalom nor giant). I like the liveliness of the Monster, but also the stability and steadfast hold of Coiler...

Thx so much for you thoughts!

I haven't ridden a Thirst, but I have owned a couple of Coilers, a Donek, couple of SGs, an Oxess and the Kessler 168 in question. What I can say is that the K168 is, by far, the easiest snowboard (hardboot or softboot) I've ever ridden, full stop. Sorry, I mean, period.

Winningest board maker from the world cup and Olympics, dominating for years, reputation for consistency and durability vs little known maker. Not to take anything away from Thirst because I'm sure they're good boards and the majority of reviews are positive, but I still know which I'd pick... I'll try a Thirst one day, just not today. Might buy a PC actually.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

I have a custom K168 and it's a staggeringly good board. It will carve super tight turns on the steep as happily as it does GS turns. I got it this year and expected that it would carve tight very well but figured it would get busy or sketchy at higher speeds and it just doesn't.

I've never ridden the Thrist but have heard good things....that said it's hard to go wrong with the Kessler. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Kirk said:

I have a custom K168 and it's a staggeringly good board. It will carve super tight turns on the steep as happily as it does GS turns. I got it this year and expected that it would carve tight very well but figured it would get busy or sketchy at higher speeds and it just doesn't.

I thought my Kessler was super stable at high speeds until I rode my Oxess. New definition of stable was formed. The Oxess feels like it is levitating.

In saying that, the Kessler definitely doesn't get sketchy at higher speeds!

Edited by daveo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Which ever board you end up with it must have the same top sheet as the proteus!

🙂 the green arrow? You’re too kind!

29 minutes ago, AcousticBoarder said:

Great thread! I was wondering the same thing myself. Both are boards I want to try out! Hope I can this week! 🙂

By all means, let us know!!!

Love my K168!  ....and Love went to Pure Lust by adding a Bomber BP v2!!  It deserves all the accolades!!

The difference I see is the  K loves the nose loaded up but the Thirst design keeps ya/wants ya to stay neutral I heard....not a bad thing... just different.

Personally I'm all hot and bothered to try a Thirst SF162 !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Love my K168!  ....and Love went to Pure Lust by adding a Bomber BP v2!!  It deserves all the accolades!!

The difference I see is the  K loves the nose loaded up but the Thirst design keeps ya/wants ya to stay neutral I heard....not a bad thing... just different.

Personally I'm all hot and bothered to try a Thirst SF162 !

Interesting, I find my Kessler does not live riding nose loaded. Centered all day! 

1 hour ago, pokkis said:

Guys, stop bragging about K168, otherwise my wife will kill me getting one more board

Best board ever. 

17 minutes ago, barryj said:

Hmm.......Dave what's your stance width on your plate?    

56cm. I'm 190cm tall, however. 

Darn, that is painfull stance with plates. I have huge issues even my 54cm stance,

Luckily i'm 180 so i can survive with 54, i use 55 some times but due moving stance front and back 1-2 cm based on slope condition it is on limit with plate designs / available inserts.

Edited by pokkis

10 minutes ago, pokkis said:

Darn, that is painfull stance with plates. I have huge issues even my 54cm stance,

Luckily i'm 180 so i can survive with 54, i use 55 some times but due moving stance front and back 1-2 cm based on slope condition it is on limit with plate designs / available inserts.

56 is available in the Vistflex. 

54 is max on my Apex, so I need to use the disc to get 1cm extra each way and the heel and toe blocks to make sure there is no overhang of my boot, which also means the centre of my boot is about 0.5cm off centre of the binding, annoyingly. But it is the lesser of two evils, so I just accept it.

54 is max on Allflex also. 

Tried riding 54 this season as an experiment and I felt like I was riding a monoski at 60/55.

Edited by daveo

48 minutes ago, daveo said:

56cm. I'm 190cm tall, however. 

Hmm.....my stance is at 21 inches/53cm and 6"2'/187cm tall...

10 minutes ago, pokkis said:

I have huge issues even my 54cm stance

Poky wheres your rear axle in relation to your heel - under it or in front of your heel??

Coma...sorry to hijack your Thread!...........we will return to the regularly scheduled activity right after this K168 commercial break!!

On 2/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, barryj said:

I find riding the K168 centered gives me far better consistency and edge hold.  I vary my turn shape thru angulation and not fore and aft weight distribution like I would on a Rev or Coiler

22 minutes ago, barryj said:

Yes..... trying to move rear binding to get axle "in middle of rear foot" is giving me Huge stance And putting me in backseat  :smashfrea

Mine is front toe and middle rear heel as per the original design philosophy of the initial research done on the Apex plate JJA won gold on. 😄

• Like 1