Note to New Members ×

Is bomber out of business?

Calle

From reading the article, Fin is not in charge (yet).  He would have been appointed if Bomber had been put in receivership.  It filed for bankruptcy just before the receivership hearing.  According to the article,  if Bomber doesn't provide the requested details to the bankruptcy court by Friday, Bomber's bankruptcy filing will be dismissed.  If that's the case then he'll be involved if the bank's receivership request is accepted (and keeps its original terms in the request)

Note, I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV...

11 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

If you need something, email Jim and ask if it's safe to order.  Get his word up front.  If you don't get a satisfactory/timely reply, don't order.  Use a credit card so you can dispute the charge if you don't get your item in reasonable time.  I did this with my new board and it was shipped in a matter of a few days.

Irresponsible Advice...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rvrholic said:

Irresponsible Advice...

Wow, new guy, that's pretty rude to just drop that without any elaboration.  I described what worked for me, YMMV as always.  And I posted it a few hours before that new article came to light.  I wouldn't advise ordering anything now until Fin has the situation under control.

I think just giving it a rest is the best avenue to pursue. Jack, it was good advice. rvr, your pissed... we get it. Focus on your turns and take it easy. With Bomber in trouble and the recent loss of Chris Prior,  isn’t there enough to be bummed out or angry about to go around? 

• Like 1

Hmmm... so I post a contrary opinion and am ascribed as having a temporary emotional disorder and need to "take it easy"?   Gotcha! 

I don't consider myself as "pissed" at all.  I responded to the post after I saw the article.  Based on that and my personal experience with Jim Callen, I considered it an irresponsible post.  Sounds like Jack does now too after he read the article.  I just don't want to see someone else risk any money so I responded.  Pure and simple....  Nothing personal on my part but I do understand your reaction and I will indeed "take it easy" now...  Thanks for the advice

We don't have enough facts to determine what the outcome and judgement regarding Jim and Angie will be.  But any prudent consumer should protect themselves by using a credit card, and knowing the FTC rules concerning credit card transactions.  Here's one example summary:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0221-billed-merchandise-you-never-received

Whether someone has an open order or is considering placing an order, it might also be wise to call your credit card company to be sure you know exactly how they implement those FTC rules.  I do feel for those who have open orders with money on the line, and no information to know where this all going.

Clearly some people have emotional involvement, which is understandable, and may explain why they appear to continually to be wrong-footed by this. 

If the business is in liquidation then obviously you don't want to join the line of creditors. There's no point in discussing with the old owners or their mates here: it's not within their control any more.

• Like 3

Nice. Now we have "young and old" guys on this forum, actually why not Bomber  dealt with customers in the similar way. Now I see a lot of people looking to Fin like he will be knight on the white horse  better on the white snowboard. He will save company and everything will be like in the pass. Maybe he will get some right to design back, maybe even some parts will be made in the future, maybe the real luck is this is a such a small segment of snow industries that there will not be too much interest from the others to do what is commonly done everywhere . To buy competition and shut them down. TDs are solid bindings but still you need periodically change some parts just common wear and yes you can break the bail. It was long hike from the top of Sentinel bowl down. So keep your spare parts for the worst outcome.I have 4 SW hopefully I should be Ok to the end of my boarding days. Regardless what will happen to this binding in the future brand name is badly stained.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:18 AM, Jack Michaud said:

Wow, new guy, that's pretty rude to just drop that without any elaboration.  I described what worked for me, YMMV as always.  And I posted it a few hours before that new article came to light.  I wouldn't advise ordering anything now until Fin has the situation under control.

As was mentioned upthread a while back, any transactions taken before BK (90 day window for non-insiders) can be unwound by the BK trustee.  If the BK gets dismissed, there isn't a BK and that means that all transactions are still subject to being unwound.  So personally if it were me I wouldn't spend any money @ bomber till you know that there's actually a BK in place with a trustee appointed.  But others might want to roll the dice on getting a good deal now.  

all of this is purely speculative and the trustee trying to bring goods back into the company is kinda unlikely in a consumer goods context, but you never know.  The amount in controversy here is exceedingly small, all things considered.  

Hottest thread Bomberonline has had going in years. Such a shame.  Looks like some of the same wind bags that have been here for years are still here making themselves be heard. Friendships are ruined, the community is damaged and I certainly hope that Bomber survives.  I happen to be stuck somewhere in the middle being friends with parties on all sides. It's a shity place to be. Think Snow!?⛄

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Snowman said:

Hottest thread Bomberonline has had going in years. Such a shame.  Looks like some of the same wind bags that have been here for years are still here making themselves be heard. Friendships are ruined, the community is damaged and I certainly hope that Bomber survives.  I happen to be stuck somewhere in the middle being friends with parties on all sides. It's a shity place to be. Think Snow!?⛄

So good to have you back here!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snowman said:

Hey, who let you back in??   Good to see you post Mark.    

It might be considered "Picking the bones" , but folks might consider joining Corey's forum and my Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/736314186478431/  It might be the best way to stay in the "Alpine World" going forward.   At least until BOMBER rises from the ashes.

1 hour ago, bruincounselor said:

Any updates on the bankruptcy? did the paperwork get filed "in time"?  If not is the receivership happening? Inquiring minds want to know.

The article posted earlier is the latest public information.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/local/angela-callen-who-co-owns-snowboard-gear-firm-is-under-investigation-for-bilking-from-red-brick/

Looks like the bankruptcy was filed in time, but that doesn't mean that it will be approved.  That decision is pending, so everything is on hold until then.

• Like 1

Saw a couple of people asking if the BK was filed on time.  The article above references a deadline of last Friday for filing of financial information.  I can confirm the financial documents required by the court were in fact filed (public information).  I did take a look at the financials (which anyone can do) as I am a curious nerd (hubs calls me a nosey geek haha- though I do have a background having completed an internship years ago with the SBA).  I was curious as to the financials to see what kind of story they would tell.  The financials definitely weave a story.  It will be interesting to see what transpires.  I believe the court does a 90 day look back and carefully scrutinizes all transactions in that 90 day window prior to filing.

This whole thing is one big sad mess:((   I hope that Fin can bring it back to life and those who ordered product either get their money back or the product(s) they ordered. (heavy sigh)

As a side note if you ordered product that was not received a fairly detailed listing of inventory held is part of the financial documents.  You can look at the inventory to see if they have/had product to fulfill your order.

Hanging up my “cranky old guy” hat for a minute. 

Good to see all of the people who really care. 

As a word of advice from someone who has a good deal of experience with corporate bankruptcies:

1) don’t order anything from this site. It doesn’t help Jim/Angie at this point, it doesn’t help Fin, and it is likely that you won’t get anything back and it will take you months to recover money (if you get anything)

2) all respect to Fin, who built a binding and a place for us all to hang out, but he has ZERO decision authority over the direction of the business at this point. Until the BK is settled, this is a ship on autopilot. Great for us if Fin takes over, but he has a couple. Of difficult decisions: does he want to get back into. This after exiting a couple of years ago? And does the financial model make sense post-BK?

Markets change, and knowing what I know about niche sporting goods and the overhead and liabilities of the binding business (anyone remember the lawsuit from a few years ago?) I wouldn’t be surprised to see everyone walk away  

• Like 3

Let's have a pitty party for all the old guys that have lost their purpose in life because their favorite forum has a questionable future. Either get ready to buy up  Bomber equipment when it once again becomes available or heaven forbid try something different . In the mean time i'm ready to ride what i have. Good luck to all involved in trying to resolve  this unfortunate  situation.

24 minutes ago, lowrider said:

Let's have a pitty party for all the old guys that have lost their purpose in life because their favorite forum has a questionable future. 

Umm, what?  This forum will likely survive as a functioning part of Bomber 3.0.  If it doesn't, we have a backup plan in place:  http://lucidcarving.forumotion.com  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Umm, what?  This forum will likely survive as a functioning part of Bomber 3.0.  If it doesn't, we have a backup plan in place:  http://lucidcarving.forumotion.com  

I think Lowrider simply left off an emoticon to show he was being clever, sarcastic or snarky.  He is a good guy and my guess is he did not mean to insult anyone "Said the old guy whose life is centered on the BOL Forum Life" :)  [To the guy too young to be insulted by afore mentioned statement !!!]