Note to New Members ×

Camber vs Rocker pick a side!!!

JRAZZ

Camber Or Rocker  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a side!

• Camber - I roll old school. Give me pop!
    • Rocker - I like it when my board doesn't kill me if I make a mistake.
    • Hybrid - I'm all about the technology.
    • Flat - Can't make up my mind.

What do you prefer to ride?  You have to pick a side!  No worming your way out of it. (I like rocker but only when I don't like camber / It's camber until I turn....)

Not very well defined question... Are we talking just plain camber versus plain 100% rocker? Or, shouldn't everything in between have few categories too?

Anyways, if the former was the question, I'd go camber. If subcategories are allowed, I'd go gentle camber with some rocker in the nose - aka nose decamber ;)

• Like 1

Man, looking at this forum lately and one might think some carving addicts don't handle withdrawal well.  Transitioning into summer addictions can be as hard as the boots you're wearing, so give me a little decamber with my camber for a nice spring into a smooth transition and a good edge in the next carve.  

• Like 3

Camber = 100% camber. No decamber nonsense.

Rocker= 100% smile. No gull wing. Tip and tail go up. Period.

Hybrid = camber-rocker, rocker-camber, decamber, and general waviness go here.

We are all slightly unbalanced, tipping over, off our rocker, and just slightly off camber. I freely admit to loving rockers! Bring it on! :)

I voted camber because I have never ridden anything else. Like saying you don't like a movie that you have never seen. 

I can see how a rocker board could be an advantage in soft snow (powder). 

It seems to me that a rockered board couldn't carve the way that I understand the physics of carving. 

I thought about trying a rockered board but often when I'm having a great time on my old-school board, I ask myself "what would I change about my board?"; "how could this be more fun?".

Maybe I have struggled for a long time trying to get a cambered board to carve and now when I think that I'm finally starting to get it, I think rockered boards are cheating. 

Camber!

I have this thing;  when I lean forward I actually want the tip to engage :smashfrea

when I lean back I want the tail to push back and keep me upright.

In the early 80s when all boards were rockered I kept skiing until cambered boards that actually held an edge came along.

I have a rockered pow board(technically flat to rocker) and only use it in more than 1 foot deep and still miss the response in the tip.

Camber!!!! Trying a rockered Burton was the last straw that convinced me to finally switch to hardboots and cambered alpine boards.

Accidentally taking a rockered Burton down a boardercross course was the thing that put me off rocker for life. There were times during that run when I wasn't convinced I had much life left.

I'm sure it's great in the powder and all, but I wouldn't know because my cambered Rome Anthem does just fine for that too.

• Like 1

Wait, this is like saying windows 10 has nothing to do with DOS, every board even a rockered board will be decambered when enough speed and energy are input while on edge, but if you prefer to spend most of the 160mm(130mm) off the snow, decambered, that's your problem, a rockered board uses 152mm of the 160, it's apples and oranges, a 160 that has 130mm edge will naturally release with more spring, a 160 with 152mm edge will grip like a longer cambered board, hence, less lively.

Camber = 100% camber. No decamber nonsense.

Rocker= 100% smile. No gull wing. Tip and tail go up. Period.

Hybrid = camber-rocker, rocker-camber, decamber, and general waviness go here.

We are all slightly unbalanced, tipping over, off our rocker, and just slightly off camber. I freely admit to loving rockers! Bring it on! :)

Why do I get the feeling this is about freeride boards?

For alpine boards, camber with nose rocker (a.k.a. early rise or nose decamber) is not nonsense in the slightest.  It was a game changer when first introduced, and you cannot be competitive in any race course without it.  It works awesome for freecarving too.

Gull-wing or mustache camber/rocker hybrid seems like a joke to me, but I've never ridden it.  You won't catch any BXer using it.

• Like 1

Why do I get the feeling this is about freeride boards?

For alpine boards, camber with nose rocker (a.k.a. early rise or nose decamber) is not nonsense in the slightest.  It was a game changer when first introduced, and you cannot be competitive in any race course without it.  It works awesome for freecarving too.

Gull-wing or mustache camber/rocker hybrid seems like a joke to me, but I've never ridden it.  You won't catch any BXer using it.

1989, Safari, 205cm.  Rockered nose, slight base bevel at nose/tail, TWO cambered sections, one just forward of mid-stance, one higher arch under the rear foot towards the tail. Variable quadratic sidecut, too.   62 mph in the slush at The Open.  Game changer, yup.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

1989, Safari, 205cm.  Rockered nose, slight base bevel at nose/tail, TWO cambered sections, one just forward of mid-stance, one higher arch under the rear foot towards the tail. Variable quadratic sidecut, too.   62 mph in the slush at The Open.  Game changer, yup.

Funny how "what's old is new again" becomes business as usual in the snowboard industry, as far as trends and "technology" go. Speaking of speed and slush, a repeat customer bought one of my Hammerhead 181cm boards this weekend for a 213 feet pond skimming event. First run on the board, never ridden it, he was clocked by radar at 63mph in heavy slush and managed to cross the entire pond. :)
  • Like 2