Note to New Members ×

Heard It In The Lift Line 2015/2016

gigo60

• 9 months later...

We need a 2016/17 thread... Mods? 

Yesterday's instructor training session, after schooling everyone in moguls, performing switch carving and jumping 180 of a kicker... I shared the chair ride with 2 girl instructors, one asked: "So, do you also ride snowboard?", me: "And this is, what?"... 

• Like 1

A friend of mine was walking by while I was taking a break on the patio at Snowbasin. they stopped and his son asked, " dad what is that" while pointing to my Coiler. His reply was, "it's kind of like a snowboard". I thought Wow kinda clueless since I had ridden with him and his wife before.

Edited by boardguru
spelling

This is by far the best response I got:

Happened this past weekend

While with my family we got off the lift and the lifty comes running out. "Where did you drop your ski?"

I look around and ask if he is talking to me? "Yes, where did you drop your ski?"

My wife and kids immediately all start laughing at the guy once we all realized the comment is directed at me.

I click in and push off, the Lifty is very confused and embarrassed...

"What is that thing, holy crap I thought you dropped a ski on the trail"

• Like 8

While on the lift - 

Father and son are skiing below. Kid is snowplowing just fine. Dad keeps yelling "Pizza!"

Chair in front of me yells "French Fries!"

So I yell "Birthday Cake!"

Chair in front continues - "Watermelon, Turkey Sandwich!"

I reply "Spaghetti!"

and so on and so forth, yelling random foods until we get to the top. 

• Like 8

I am at a piont where I am tired of explaining what a carving board is. .  Feels very repetetive by the hundreth time.... my default answer now is either "i havent come up with a name for this yet" and "cowabanga board".

The other week a 65-70 ish old man on skiis followed me after getting off the lift. He stoped beside me and said in a very confident tone "that is a carving board". I told him how shock i was that some one knew what it was. He politely ask if he can follow me down the mountain and said it was a joy to watch. On the way up we talk a bit and found out he had been on a SWORD for many years but now prefers skiis because it was easier on his body. Got good tips that day.

I get a bit tired of explaining the difference too. I love the look on some faces when stepping in & out:eek:

Like with a group of 20 something softbooters, one of which knew what a carving board is and was exited to try "armpit dragging" turns; the toehang bootout boardwidth discussion starts and ends with suggesting Ryan's videos. One of them walked over to my 176 nidecker (all mt) escape gave it a flex and told his buddys "it's like a 2x12". if I'd I had the 185 gs he wouldn't have been able to bend it.

After riding tue. an acquaintance (65+yrs old) comes up to me and really wants some info from the horses mouth so to speak. So the quick explanation, stance difference demo, between monoski, alpine board, and "soft/duck" ensues. He's a skier that owns a board and struggled with it. I suggested he turn his angles forward and start thinking like a water skier(which he has done), rather than a wakeboarder going sideways.

Then he wants to know about my pole use which is a whole other can of worms. :freak3:

Edited by b0ardski

I had so many comments at Wachusetts... It really surprised me. I would've figured our community is known there?!

Highlights were a patroller commenting on my mono-ski, sigh. Yes, I politely explained the differences to him and the five other patrollers around us.

One of my more interesting encounters happened after I swapped my plate to my 185 REV. I was walking back to the base through the parking lot when a college aged lady walking with her male companion said, "wha, wha, wha, Wha, WHA!" as she grabbed her companions jacket and whipped him around to see the apparent phenomenon that is me... I kept right on walking.

Maybe we should all embrace the mystery... People are always interested in the unknown... Could grow our numbers...

As I've said before, I kind of like it that our numbers are small.  I've seen what just a dozen guys can do to a few runs in a day, imagine if it was really popular. Also, it reminds me a bit of the early days of snowboarding, when we were all answering a lot of questions on the lift and every other rider you met was automatically a friend.

• Like 1

I recently met a carver at Meadows that I'd never seen before. He was riding with a skier friend, and we hooked up and did 3 or 4 laps together, spending a lot of time BSing about carving and technique on the chairlift rides. When we split up so he could go check on his wife and kid, the skier friend said something along the lines of "Well, sorry to break up your bromance"

haha, dead to rights. 

On 2/29/2016 at 5:22 PM, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

I had a great Transworld sticker on my '94 Rad-Air Soul 168 Asym; 'The Answers', placed up near the nose.

I had this t-shirt. The old codger who ran my boarding school, (whom I essentially had had to trick/bribe/blackmail into allowing me to ride on ski trips) was not amused.

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, queequeg said:

I had this t-shirt. The old codger who ran my boarding school, (whom I essentially had had to trick/bribe/blackmail into allowing me to ride on ski trips) was not amused.

I put a big "Free James Brown" sign on my first snowboard. That stopped the questions before they started.

Edited by lordmetroland
  • Like 1