• $1201-$1500
    • > $1500

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$0 My next board was a gift from Dr. Dual-e 10 years ago.

It has been quietly waiting for its day on the cord...:1luvu:

Its predecessors have been VERY durable and lasted many years of trenching with the camber still intact.

*If* the Dual-e was still in production and the carbon race models had been developed, I would gladly spend ~$1000 to buy one. Today's racer has no idea what they are missing with those flat bottom boards.:AR15firin

I've found the perfect board for what I like to do. I don't think it would even be possible to improve on it, and besides I'm having too much fun. I currently have 5 of them, and I only paid $150 new because no one else wanted them. The first one I had and folded the nose after about 200 hard days off piste.

Now if Bruce would be willing to build an experimental non metal board for about $400, I would be tempted.

From what I've heard about metal, I wouldn't want to risk it for what I do. I have no doubt that the new boards on piste are superior to the old school board, but I've been able to Euro even on my 156 skinny unwanted inferior board (at least according to some). It's a whole lot of technique.

Remember when we were young and we blasted through the woods on our "Huffys". We didn't worry about the next technological improvement. We were having too much fun.

I think a more interesting survey would include income, marital status, and # of dependents...

I had a similar thought. Less than $200 to one person is the same as greater than $1500 to another. It gets too complex really quick though and the poll as designed tells us the bottom line.

When my wife told me that she was pregnant with our daughter 9 years ago, my old boss gave me some of the most sage advice ever.

"George" he said, "Before your kid is born, BE SURE to get all of your toys NOW.

Otherwise, you're looking at eighteen to twenty years of disposable income drought before you can drop some serious coin again.... This way, you can always make the argument that it's really not a NEW purchase, but just the replacement of old gear."

Wise man, my boss.

Geo

The poll is useless out of context:confused:

It means exactly what it says. How many can pay for premium boards, and how many cannot, for whatever reason.

I want to know this because some people talk as if Titanal, clothoid sidecuts, big taper, decambered nose/tail, etc have all been widely available for a decade, and that if you haven't been riding them you're not "current". I say this is only true for the minority who could afford/justify $1500 Kesslers, SGs, etc. That technology has only been recently adopted by our go-to North American brands, Coiler, Prior, and Donek. Personally I have been keeping pace with what they're doing, and I have only been able to afford a Kessler just now, barely. Even still, I may have to sell it unless it rides significantly better than the more affordable boards.

I picked up a used NSR2 last year on the cheap, as those go. Big change from my Proton (incredible edge hold and smooth ride), but I spend alot of time on the Proton as well since it's shorter and turnier and has more pop. Though I love my NSR2, I'd really love to have a slightly shorter, stiffer model after spending a season on it to ideally get the best of both worlds.

IMO, in regards to bang for the buck, it's hard to beat used glass boards in the $150-$400 range. Is the extra performance difference with the new shapes and metal worth nearly another grand for a new board, to a non-racing freecarver? Well, it certainly puts the ride on a whole new level. I'm gritting my teeth when I admit that I've been seriously considering having one built to my specs. Will I pull the trigger? Probably not this year at least, between family needs and current economy. I check the classifieds religiously to see it one will pop up at the right price. If I find one, that may settle it. We'll see. In any case, "quivers" are out of the question at that price.

I've bought all my boards used, apart from my beloved 167 Axxess which was a leaving gift from my job. I've been happy with that because I was still learning and tended to beat them up, and because I got to ride different boards on the way to figuring out what I liked.

I'm at the point now where I'd be happy to drop the $$ on a new metal Coiler, because I could design it to be pretty much perfect. I'm going to go that route next season, but at present the Axxess has less than 40 days on it, so I can live with that for a little longer.

It's been awesome to be able to demo at the last 2 SES's - it gives you that extra confidence that you're going to like the result, before you put your money down.

I'm with Allee: All of my previous boards were either used or NOS. That allowed me to try a bunch of different boards for the same price as one new board. New board = $800, used board ~ $200. I developed more as a rider and learned more about my likes/dislikes from riding 4 older boards for a few seasons than 1 new board.

That said, I found a great board at SES last year during demos. After riding almost everything in the demo tent I fell in love with a 182 Coiler Monster and ordered one shortly after. Ironically I was looking for a short slalom-type board for icy days but didn't find one I liked more than what I already had.

Part of the beauty of our sport is that the used market is very competitive in terms of selection and pricing.

As a general rule, I have always been very impressed with the quality and condition of all of the used boards that I bought from fellow BOL members. Maybe it's because as a general rule, we tend to be better with the preventative maintenance of our equipment. I also see that as a group, we tend to use PTC tunes on our decks more than average....

It's so great to see how many forum members have gone through 2-3 used and NOS boards, who are now ready to step up to the Holy Grail of a custom deck from the master craftmen of Prior, Coiler, and Donek.

Was anyone else surprised to see the curve peak in the 800-1000 range? I would have guessed 500-600 or 600-800, with a much steeper tapering as prices went higher, and flatter tapering as prices went lower.

I feel like such a cheapskate. :D

I'll echo the sentiments about 2nd-hand boards via the classifieds here, I got some nice boards at great prices that way, and will be passing at least one of them on to someone else this season.