Note to New Members ×

Tough duty at Jackson

1xsculler

Maybe the 2ft of snow in last 72hrs is not agreeing with the $100 JHR steak? I'd give GTR a go skuller - they would have more snow and Teton Thai make a cheap (but excellent) WahWahman soup

Edited by Lurch
The Bison Pho is the shizz

4 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

It sucks when the family wants to ski or skid back and forth down the Mtn and all you want to do is find carving. 

This is like going to Disneyland and grousing about the lack of fine art. If I was in Jackson, I wouldn’t be looking for corduroy...go ride the s*** out of that mountain.

Totally stupid for me to even hint at complaining. We are having a great time even with the very challenging terrain with awesome new snow covering, for me, leg breaking bumps underneath. I WILL break a leg if I try to keep following this bunch and I am tired out. I am 30 years older than the next oldest and they are both hard charging excellent athletes. My hope  is that the 11 year old tires out too and comes down to join me on Eagles Rest. 
I’m going to do a few hot laps of pencil lines under the Eagles Rest chair (no lift line, lines are herendous everywhere else) on one of my carving boards, and on my son-in-laws Orca 153 with my F2/UPZ setup and call it a day after I finish my double boozy hot chocolate. 
DO NOT JUDGE ME! Lol

Ok, my guess is that anyone, even me, on this site can linkup endless pencil lines on Eagles Rest run with almost any board. It’s twice as steep as Crystal’s beginner run and half as steep as the next run up at Crystal. My challenge is to linkem up on the next run up at Crystal and to learn to do a little free riding on a short, wide directional board so I can, maybe,  ride with my son-in-law. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Feels like you work extra hard to suck the joy out of snowboarding. I will not get on the snow at all this year due to Covid. I would love to make some turns with family. 

In the same boat.  Did not want to take a chance on ruining the rest of my Boarding Career for one season where I had to double think everything and everywhere I go.

Here's to hoping we have a great next year.

Head over to sleeping giant. https://www.skisg.com/conditions-and-maps

44 inches in the past 5 days and nooobody goes there! Chay Donnelly, one of the original Montuky carvers works there. 
don’t tell him I sent you or he will kick you off the mountain, tell him Kathy sent you!

Edited by Ohob

6 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

This is like going to Disneyland and grousing about the lack of fine art. If I was in Jackson, I wouldn’t be looking for corduroy...go ride the s*** out of that mountain.

For real, who the frig looks for cord at Jackson? Love the shit out of that place, might be my favorite 

1 hour ago, bobdea said:

For real, who the frig looks for cord at Jackson? Love the shit out of that place, might be my favorite 

It is an awesome and challenging mountain. If you can board and/or ski this mountain well you can do it just about anywhere. 

7 hours ago, bumpyride said:

In the same boat.  Did not want to take a chance on ruining the rest of my Boarding Career for one season where I had to double think everything and everywhere I go.

Here's to hoping we have a great next year.

I’ve been super lucky to have had a great 1st half of this season and I am looking forward to an equally great second half. 

Whole new day today...rented some pow skis and am lovin the steep and the deep with the fam!

My son-in-law hired a mt guide so no line waiting for the five of us  

Waffels and a Baileys latte at to top of the Tram!

I am a slow learner but I do eventually figure it out!

finishing up last the 45 minutes linking up pencil lines on a new board, hot lapping Eagle’s Rest. 
What a day! One for the record books for me for sure!

The problem is that i am never going to learn to become a hip dragger riding a hill like this and let’s face it being a hipdragger is what separates the men from the boys in this sport. I won’t consider myself to be a legitimate carver until I can get my knees/hips within one foot of the snow but then that’s just my Problem. I will still enjoy linking up pencil lines on moderate slopes until I get there. 

• Like 4

On 2/17/2021 at 11:30 AM, 1xsculler said:

The problem is that i am never going to learn to become a hip dragger riding a hill like this and let’s face it being a hipdragger is what separates the men from the boys in this sport. 

What really separates the men from the other men, is the ability to enjoy a simple, clean carve without comparing yourself to someone else. 

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, 1xsculler said:

The problem is that i am never going to learn to become a hip dragger riding a hill like this and let’s face it being a hipdragger is what separates the men from the boys in this sport. 

Practice good form and good technique with angulation, over and over again on any terrain - muscle memory. Hip dragging eventually is a by product of great technique.

If your goal right now is hip dragging without getting the technique behind it, you'll probably just be forming bad habits/technique to try to get to this goal. These then will be hard to unlearn/undo.

And you can develop good technique on a green run to get you there. My home "mountain" is below, all 300 bad a$$ feet vertical of it. It's a 5 minute lift ride, and 30 seconds of carving down. Our "black" run would be labeled a green in Colorado. If you're familiar with Buttermilk, it'd be similar in pitch to Westward Ho or Larkspur over in West Buttermilk. But, it's what I've got to ride near me.

spacer.png

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ktv said:

Practice good form and good technique with angulation, over and over again on any terrain - muscle memory. Hip dragging eventually is a by product of great technique.

If your goal right now is hip dragging without getting the technique behind it, you'll probably just be forming bad habits/technique to try to get to this goal. These then will be hard to unlearn/undo.

And you can develop good technique on a green run to get you there. My home "mountain" is below, all 300 bad a$$ feet vertical of it. It's a 5 minute lift ride, and 30 seconds of carving down. Our "black" run would be labeled a green in Colorado. If you're familiar with Buttermilk, it'd be similar in pitch to Westward Ho or Larkspur over in West Buttermilk. But, it's what I've got to ride near me.

spacer.png

MRM! I've taken a few laps there... Gotta keep the motorist entertained.

We should have a lower Midwest meetup!

There's me

@Cuban Carving Gooding

@Shred Gruumer
@Mike Blanz

@Wolf

@OhioCarver

and probably a whole bunch more that I'm forgetting!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 9:57 AM, Jon Dahl said:

Fear can go pound sand. I ride. 'Nuff said.

Spoken like someone who hasn't lost a friend or loved one to covid.  I haven't as of yet, but have several friends that are still paying the price 3 months after getting it.

Someone suggested that Jon was referencing Jackson Hole.  If that was the case then my apologies.

Edited by bumpyride
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bumpyride said:

Spoken like someone who hasn't lost a friend or loved one to covid.  I haven't as of yet, but have several friends that are still paying the price 3 months after getting it.

I can't read mind so just my humble 2 cents.

I interpreted @Jon Dahl's statement as "fear" have no place in the context of Jackson Hole.  It's indeed a challenging mountain.

When hanging with the JH local; be honest about your ability.  Paint Brush/Toilet Bowl was fun.

the older i get; the greater i was 😉 or maybe i was just much dumber back then...

wQwzW7s.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, Lurch said:

Maybe the 2ft of snow in last 72hrs is not agreeing with the $100 JHR steak? I'd give GTR a go skuller - they would have more snow and Teton Thai make a cheap (but excellent) WahWahman soup

TGR, Continum Restaurant and hotel. We dined there two evenings...very good and quite reasonable. 
My grandsons, 11 and 14, of course idolize Kai Jones and they invited him over to our table as if they knew him which they do a little. Crazy (k)Carl signed the back of the 14 year old’s ski jacket after his probable winning run at the bottom of the Couloir. 
It’s a pretty magical place especially if you’re into huge free riding or skiing and if it’s snowing every day. To watch those guys and gals launch off of the lip of Corbet’s and then hit the huge jumps they have built in the middle of the run is a spectacle. It will be aired at 1:00pm, MST on Red Bull TV. Sometime over the weekend the 25 invited competitors get together and decide who the 2021 King and Queen of Corbet’s will be.