Note to New Members ×

Your Snowboarding Heritage?

RCrobar

What is your snowboarding heritage?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is your snowboarding heritage?

• Skiing
    • Skateboarding
    • Surfing
    • None of the above

What is your snowboarding background or heritage?

Did you ski, surf, skateboard or none of these before you started to snowboard?

If you participated in one, two or all of these activities, pick the one that had the biggest influence on you snowboarding.

Just curious, thanks

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

13 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

Racing mountain bike downhill for me

Ha...  I a firm believer that down hill mountain biker have zero fear and self preservation is missing from their DNA.

---------

We can also use a reverse one.  Because of snowboard I take up skateboard and feeble attempt at surfing/SUP.

• Like 2

Hi Slopestar

Slopestar wrote: We need “all of the above”

If you participated in one, two or all of these activities, pick the one that had the biggest influence on you snowboarding.

Biggest influence on snowboarding, as written above, is why I did not include an all of the above in the survey.

Really interesting to see mountain biking as a snowboarding influence, didn't see that one coming for a board sport! 

Thanks for responding

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

Ha...  I a firm believer that down hill mountain biker have zero fear and self preservation is missing from their DNA.

I do often joke that even falling on ice is like landing on pillows compared to some of the crashes i had racing bikes🤣

1 hour ago, RCrobar said:

Really interesting to see mountain biking as a snowboarding influence, didn't see that one coming for a board sport! 

The sense of flow state i get from both is very similar and also i loved railing berms hard on the bike so that kind of kindled a love for turning and feel G

1 hour ago, RCrobar said:

I was blasting down a single track down Mont Sainte-Anne with a snowboarding buddy back in the 90s, and first thing he said to me when we stopped to catch our breath was that this was the nearest thing to freeriding his snowboard he ever felt. More so then any type of skateboarding, surfing, windsurfing, wakeboarding, etc...

• Like 1

Hello

I agree that overall physical ability or coordination is the culmination of many, many movements and sports; cross training.

I also agree that the sensation in your head and stomach while riding a mountain bike is very similar to snowboarding; you can get this feeling from a roller coaster or a motorcycle well.

For survey sake, if the ONLY sport a person had participated in was skateboarding, surfing or skiing ... they probably could step onto a snowboard for the first time and catch on pretty quick.  This previous heritage might influence the way they like to snowboard; race, surf, park, etc.

For survey sake, if the ONLY sport a person had participated in was mountain biking ... I don't think that the specific muscle memory skills developed on a bike would translate 'AS' well to snowboarding.

This was my thought process when thinking about this 'Heritage' poll, but all replies are interesting and fun to hear!!

Thanks again for the replies:)

Rob

Skiing, cos I was riding a chairlift wearing skis when I saw my first carver. And I was always into trying to make carved turns even back when a GS ski was over 200cm long.

Skateboarding only a nose behind because I was always more at home on my slalom and downhill boards than my ramp/halfpipe boards.

.late 70's, i was a kid  on a narrow skateboard with both feet pointed very forward.  just used the thing to get around, rain or shine.  second nature standing on that thing.

.started to ski as an early - mid teen and it never felt right.  fun but awkward.

.friend of a friend invited me to Tahoe and said he'd give me an airline buddy pass to fly out.  but......only if i  promised to try snowboarding (on Sierra Cement) the first day at Heavenly.  i tried it and i think i have only skied three or four days since.

.first time i saw hardboots and the stance that went with them, i knew what was up.

• Like 1

Skateboarding only a nose behind because I was always more at home on my slalom and downhill boards than my ramp/halfpipe boards.

Hi Sunsurfer

Thank you for your post, this is what I was curious about and find very intersting!!!

I am the opposite of you in that I was always been more at home or comfortable on a ramp/halfpipe board and have never been a skiier; I spent years riding vert and still ride bowls/vert from time to time as an old guy.

What is interesting to me is that this 'heritage' still has a big inpact on my preferred stance set up for hardboot carving today, particularly the back foot stance angle and sensation, balance point feeling.  The upper body rotation involved when kickturning on vert is something that is like breathing for me.

Cool, thanks for your thoughts.

Rob

Hi davekempmeister

.late 70's, i was a kid  on a narrow skateboard with both feet pointed very forward.  just used the thing to get around, rain or shine.  second nature standing on that thing..first time i saw hardboots and the stance that went with them, i knew what was up.

I think we are of the same 70's vintage, maybe you remember this add from Skateboarder Mag?  I bet Mig does:)

When starting this thread I pondered breaking skateboarding into a few different sub categories, then realized that this could be done for surfing as well and would never end ... so I just kept it simple.

Adds like the one below is why I messed around with slalom skateboarding, always thought that it was fun.  Slalom skateboarding was the beginning of experimenting with stance angles, a life long pursuit!  Both feet pointer very forward is fun, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Regardless, your 'both feet pointed very forward' skateboard heritage seems to have impacted your riding right up to today.  Cool.

Thanks for you reply

Rob

Kryptonics Slalom.png

• Like 1

I raced BMX, sucked at flatland and half pipe stuff, but was fast on a track. Kind of enjoyed similar type of riding in snowboarding, although wasn't aware that snowboardcross even existed back then.

After a few years of softbooting I realised I wanted gear specific to how I ride my board (and bike kinda)- i.e. not in the park.

Edited by daveo

On 3/28/2019 at 6:32 PM, RCrobar said:

Hi davekempmeister

I think we are of the same 70's vintage, maybe you remember this add from Skateboarder Mag?  I bet Mig does:)

When starting this thread I pondered breaking skateboarding into a few different sub categories, then realized that this could be done for surfing as well and would never end ... so I just kept it simple.

Adds like the one below is why I messed around with slalom skateboarding, always thought that it was fun.  Slalom skateboarding was the beginning of experimenting with stance angles, a life long pursuit!  Both feet pointer very forward is fun, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Regardless, your 'both feet pointed very forward' skateboard heritage seems to have impacted your riding right up to today.  Cool.

Thanks for you reply

Rob

Kryptonics Slalom.png

Yup, I cut that ad out and put it on my wall. It hung around until I actually got on the Turner Summerski Team! 

I started skating in 1977, skiing in 1981, and snowboarding in 1985... no plans to stop any time soon 😉

I grew up doing all of the above.   My dad had us skiing, skateboarding & surfing at a very young age.  We also rode dirtbikes.   Skiing & dirt bikes probably had the biggest impact due to the speed factor & g force in turns.    I don't ski anymore, but I do skate, surf & ride motorcycles still.   All of those sports/activities have aspects that partially feed my need to carve & bomb down the mountain.   nothing covers it all though!    

• Like 1

I've skied, both slalom water, and snow, skated, body surfed and boogie boarded, but the only thing that comes remotely close to putting me in the same flow state that my snowboard does is descending on my mountain bike, and to a lesser extent, my road bike through the twisty's .  Once I point my board or bike down hill, my internal jukebox starts playing something off of the Merman's krill slipping album, and everything becomes about the "moshun" as Happy Bob likes to put it. Everything goes quiet, and its all about gravity and acceleration,  becoming one with the run or the trail,  looking at it as a wave and, searching for ways to get my head lower than my feet, surfing the earth. A touch on the  metaphysical side if you're into that kinda thing

Mahalo,

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

Gotta love Bomber for the cool stories that come out from time to time, especially when it is an obscure Skate add from the 70's:)  Thank you for sharing your story Martin!

It seems we are where we come from, with regards to boarding Heritage and what inspires a feeling when riding .... anything!  Part of what inspired me to post this poll was a video of Gerry Lopez snowboarding with this son at Mt Bachelor.  

Gerry is of course a surf legend, but he raised his son as a snowboarder until recently.  Gerry describes surfing and snowboarding as having a 'synergy' like no other two sports!  Gerry's son, who is learning to surf, comments on similar feelings between snowboarding and surfing with just small movements.  Give the dialogue at the 2:05 mark a listen.

Thanks again for the responses, interesting topic!

Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, big mario said:

I've skied, both slalom water, and snow, skated, body surfed and boogie boarded, but the only thing that comes remotely close to putting me in the same flow state that my snowboard does is descending on my mountain bike, and to a lesser extent, my road bike through the twisty's .  Once I point my board or bike down hill, my internal jukebox starts playing something off of the Merman's krill slipping album, and everything becomes about the "moshun" as Happy Bob likes to put it. Everything goes quiet, and its all about gravity and acceleration,  becoming one with the run or the trail looking at it as a wave and, searching for ways to get my head lower than my feet, surfing the earth. A touch on the  metaphysical side if your into that kinda thing

Mahalo,

Mario

Everything goes quiet, and its all about gravity and acceleration,  becoming one with the run or the trail..and the board

zen and the art of carving is way underated

• Thanks 1