Note to New Members ×

Sold: Original Madd 158

Jack M

Here it is, the unicorn, the Ice Piranha.  I bought this a few years ago from the original owner - Fin Doyle.  The hype is real, but it's just too small and narrow for me.  Inserts are good, I used the board with longer screws which I recommend doing.  I'd say I put 10 days on it tops.  Fin did not use it much as it wasn't very well suited to where he rides.  Plenty of camber and edge material - as much as any new board I've ever had.  Board has always been stored upright.  I have never touched the edges or base with a file, stone, or grinder.  Base has NO issues whatsoever.  There is some light rust in places on the edges from standing in a ski locker, so no more photos of the bottom right now.  I will have the board tuned with your choice of bevels before shipping, or you can take it as-is.

$695 shipped to the 48 states.  I will pay the first $30 of shipping elsewhere.

i-3M2CNxw.jpg

Direct link to full resolution photo: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3M2CNxw/0/5931cb93/O/i-3M2CNxw.jpg

2DE40235-F1C4-4FFF-837A-ACB465E9D95F.jpeg

E184A905-0401-4313-99FD-B8FB47B7390C.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, big canuck said:

I had both. OG still my fave by far.

Fully agreed.  There's more variability in turn shape with the Madd, and the platform just feels a little more stable underfoot.

I often do OG vs MK back to back on the same day just to kill my legs as fast as possible. ??

• Thanks 1

Wow! That's the original Madd 158 I rode that Fin lend to me. OMG. It haul ass... and I mean SERIOUS ass! And watch it when you carve because they really turn just like how the squirrels evade by turning sharp right or left away from a predator. They perform -extremely- well when I rode it out in Summit County (Keystone, if I reckon correctly). Just... be careful. That board is a true natural-occuring red hue diamond (extremely rare in pristine condition). 

The base is quite different from the "standard" so tread carefully.

It's a shame I didn't see this post for I would most likely have bought it since I have firsthand experience with that board. 

I wonder if Fin still have that Madd 170. 

• Thanks 1

Why is it that no one has been able to reproduce the same feel? 

I understand the base material that's not available, but we have some amazing board builders now that can reverse engineer a board from 20+ years ago. 

Is nostalgia more powerful than the construction? 

1 hour ago, Corey said:

I understand the base material that's not available, but we have some amazing board builders now that can reverse engineer a board from 20+ years ago. 

Is nostalgia more powerful than the construction? 

That is the Plan.

There's more variability in turn shape with the Madd, and the platform just feels a little more stable underfoot.  This was my pre ride thought.  Due to the butterfly.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

There are many variables at play.  Yeah you could trace an outline of the board, but that's only one piece of the puzzle.  The harmony of sidecut, flex profile, stiffness, camber height and shape, nose/tail shape, and vibration characteristics is crucial.  Madds had a lot of "stuff" going on, like the mystery non-radial sidecut, "forward loaded" camber (and to my eye non-radial camber), the CF wing, and whatever black magic is inside.  The tooling to make these boards was destroyed in some catastrophe at the factory in Italy, and some of the materials are no longer available.

The Donek MK was designed to go beyond the original 158, not just duplicate it.  If your size, weight, riding style, and usual riding terrain are a good fit for the board, I would say mission accomplished.  I felt the magic, but it was just too turny for me at Sugarloaf.  This original 158 turns longer than the MK and I found it to have a wider bandwidth of carve sizes, but at the end of the day it's just too short and narrow for me.  I also couldn't exactly fit my stance to the g-spot of the board with the available inserts.  Between this 158 and the MK I had, the warnings in this thread about getting launched and avoiding solid objects seem more appropriate for the MK, which Robert already has. 

I don't know if the original Madds had the same issues of copy-to-copy variation as the later incarnations.  I tried Shaggy's original 158 at the 2012 ECES at Stratton and fell in love.  I tried an early MK prototype then too, and again at the 2014 ECES, and also fell in love both times.  When I got both these boards home to Sugarloaf, which is generally steeper, the experience was different.  I've had this happen a number of times with other boards - getting a different impression at a demo at another mountain than at home.  I'll be interested to see how Robert finds this board.  Loon has a good number of trails similar to Stratton.

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

There are many variables at play.  Yeah you could trace an outline of the board, but that's only one piece of the puzzle.  The harmony of sidecut, flex profile, stiffness, camber height and shape, nose/tail shape, and vibration characteristics is crucial.  Madds had a lot of "stuff" going on, like the mystery non-radial sidecut, "forward loaded" camber (and to my eye non-radial camber), the CF wing

Nothing here that today's makers can't duplicate... But: 

and whatever black magic is inside

This may be harder.  My Madd reissue had the butterfly stuck on with some weird double-sided tape. (Which stops being sticky at -35. Pop! ?)  I have no doubt that there was some viscous damping effect from this tape.  

When I got both these boards home to Sugarloaf, which is generally steeper, the experience was different. 

I've had that same effect happen three times with boards that I loved in Aspen, but were totally unremarkable at home.  It wasn't a steepness thing for me, more like a snow-difference thing.  

My MK delivers when I want to slow things down.  Very interested in hearing the MK vs. O.G. Madd review!  

• Like 1