Note to New Members ×

Clicking in on the lift

Henry Hester

Be first of the chair or the last, just pick the utmost right or left of the chair and paddle with the free foot. If you have a steeper end of the slope/chairlift, I put my free foot against my front foot and just steer/board away/turning (or not, just go straight if there is space), let the board run, nothing will happen. Practice to go straight on one leg on a flat slope first with low speed, you must be able to turn and stop on one leg: you get more feeling and boardtrust in your head. I use the Dakine spike stomp pad too. Sometimes when I am of the chairlift, I let the board run, put my back foot in the bail, clean my fin tec heel on the intecreceiver and clip in while the board is running (at a slow speed). This I only do when there is enough space and it is not crowdy.

• Like 3

The offload ramp makes a huge difference too!

Anyone struggling with the ramps at Aspen needs to go hit the bunny hill.

The one local resort near me has an 8 foot drop with a ~70% grade coming off a fixed-grip double chair - I find it terrifying. There are a lot of falls on that one! I love my stomp pad for that lift!

I'll take a different stance here.

Been riding since 1988 and I used to clip in every chair ride till about 8 years ago.  I never felt like I was doing anything awkward or dangerous but my pre 2000 soft bindings have a big difference that makes it super easy. 

Modern bindings have the female end of the foot strap and the male end on binding body itself. 

way back when it was reversed. The male end of the strap was on the strap over the foot and the female end was on the binding body.  This allows you to pull the binding into the foot and still wrap it around to push it into the female end on the binding body.

I have a few old bindings left that I save for those days where I ride and need to get on chairs with bad exits.  We have one exit with a steep exit and hard 120 degree turn at the bottom.  Usually very icy.   Sure there are plenty of guys that can pull that off with one foot but I am too old to try that.  The slim chance of falling off is not enough to negate the definite knee damage on my 50yo knees.

getting my hardboot setup soon.  will be interesting to see how exits are on hardboots.

The offload ramp makes a huge difference too!

Anyone struggling with the ramps at Aspen needs to go hit the bunny hill.

The one local resort near me has an 8 foot drop with a ~70% grade coming off a fixed-grip double chair - I find it terrifying. There are a lot of falls on that one! I love my stomp pad for that lift!

Go to Red Mountain and practice there. Their exits are like boardercross starts, the lifts are all fixed so none of them slow down, and the offload ramps are as wide as the chair and not one inch wider. Deal or die ...

I can't turn right (heelside) very well when I'm not clipped in. So I either ask to be on the far left of a right-exiting chair, where I can come off straight without anyone turning in to me, or give my fellow chairlift riders a heads up that I'm pushing off early and going straight. Never have a problem. I always have a good stomp pad on all my boards to put my foot on, and then just surf off.

Edited by Allee

One more thing to add for this group of "geassers". On the older lifts, double or triple chair, ride it by yourself. When you get to the top, and if the lift opt isn't totally burnt? Just give him the wave to slow down the lift. I know, I know we are supposed to be cool, but you can put a hand on the seat for a guide too when you dismount one of those widow makers.

Who would have thought?  A thread about exiting a chairlift would get so much participation.   I think you touched on a good subject that hasn't really been explored Henry.   

Allee:Go to Red Mountain and practice there. Their exits are like boardercross starts, the lifts are all fixed so none of them slow down, and the offload ramps are as wide as the chair and not one inch wider. Deal or die ...

Funny you should mention this.  Henry has been on the "Take off Ramps" for Slalom Championships all over the world.  Just standing on a board with BEARINGS and wheels!!!

https://youtu.be/HCIuVe5OPbY

• Like 1

Henry.  So, step one.  Make sure you have a good stomp pad, Dakine "Spike" is my favorite and works well.  (young bucks, save beating your chest here and telling us how lame stomp pads are)   Get a stomp pad and put it on!!  

Step two: do not try to turn right after standing.  Just stand up with most of your weight on the front foot , place your back foot on the spike pad and then just point it straight.  You will just roll out and come to a stop.   Yes, do this on chairs that have a run out first.  You can get the hang of gently turning after you become comfortable.  

Try to get the seat on the chair that is to the right or left extreme.  You want to end up on the outside of the turn that most riders will take at the top to avoid routing conflict.    

With all due respect to my Boss "Jim Callen" , he is a young , super fit, type A , with a gagillion vertical feet under his alpine belt.   Attempting to make a full run with one foot out is a good way to increase your chances of collecting a twisted knee.   Please do NOT do that !!  

Bryan 

Yeah, I should have added that when I said a few runs, I meant the easiest of easy.  Bunny hill/super green runs, and only if you are confident your legs can handle the effort.  When I tore my mcl a few years ago, this was one of the hardest things for me to do, and made for some sufficiently tough rehab.

Lots of really good advice. The more you ride, the better you get at this. The final test is getting off Cornice Express at Kirkwood late in the afternoon when 1' deep channels have been cut into the exit ramp turn. Its a hard mandatory right.

1. As stated above, make sure you have a good stomp pad and learn to use it. All these Macho guys with no stomp pad are... Macho.

2. Learn to get the board flat and your rear foot positioned - before you stand up. The board flat, rear foot on stomp pad, stand up all happens in a few seconds as the chair is moving through the station.

3. 1st or Last. Jump up early to be out in front of everyone, or wait and be last off the chair. it gives you more room to maneuver and can keep you clear of other crashy snowboarders.

4. Stand up Tall. Don't bend over. Be tall and calm.

5. Slight forward pressure, you have to want to go down the lift exit ramp. If you sit back, you crash.

My friend Johnnie coined a phrase which I still use and tell to new snowboarders. "Reach for the Garbage Can". WHAT? You'll notice that in the exit area of many lift top stations there is  a garbage can straight out from the lift exit ramp. Learn to reach for it or for the virtual garbage can. This puts your weight forward.

6. slight easy turns. A tiny bit of shoulder turn. Try and stay tall.

A good number of years ago, when I was younger and dumber than now (I reserve the right to still be dumb today, just less dumb), I tried to clip in while ascending a T-bar at Whistler. I thought I would be able to basically waterski up the hill. It worked OK for one run (though you're really not going fast enough to make any turns); the second trip up, I got clipped in, but fell over, managing to maintain my grip on the bar. I thought I could get back on my feet, so held on to the bar while I tried to flip over.

Ha! Good luck with that. Suffice it to say that after being dragged 60 or 70 feet up the hill on my back and side, I gave up, let go, and ignominiously took another lap to catch up with my friends. 

And that, boys and girls, is when Dan gave up on clipping in on lifts or other conveyances. :)

Edited by Dan

Do any of you toe bale peeps click in on the lift? I find a cannot come off the lift without being hooked in first.

You really need to be able to ride off the lift with your foot out, there is no excuse not to be able to do that. Clipping in is just covering up for your need to work on a basic skill. I ride step ins and will click in as im gliding away from the lift but I dont do it on the chair. I actually look forward to practicing 1 foot riding while I get off the chair since its a necessary skill.

Edited by Bobby Buggs

A good number of years ago, when I was younger and dumber than now (I reserve the right to still be dumb today, just less dumb), I tried to clip in while ascending a T-bar at Whistler.

Back when getting up the hill was manly business. T-bars, two ropes, pommels. You really had to want to ski. Inspired by the crossbow, the only thing scarier than getting on the t-bar was getting off.

• Like 1

Ok. I'll switch to a one leg ride off. Thanks for the feedback. Great exercise on using this forum to improve.

Btw, I'm a 40 year boarder, always in plates, always clipped in first. I've been pinched bad by the chair and rear boot a few times. If the off ramp is long and icy, it's a 80% chance of a back slam or worse, leg split which hurts after a replaced hip.

I just have to man up.

One new hip, one new knee. Never dismounted the lift with both clipped in except for a couple times on powder days when the 'buckle in' zone was crowded and I had my step ins. 

How does glass or decambered metal affect this? My brain just seized. 

Doing the torchlight parade at Whitefish and ski patrol built an obstacle course on the exit ramp on chair two, which wasn't awesome to begin with, complete with jumps. Kind of fun and glad I didn't crash. 

I use a scraper type stomp pad on my powder boards but nothing on my race boards. Not macho, just don't want to mess up the view of the graphics and I am kind of lazy sometimes. 

To the fellow who suggested riding solo: don't try that on a powder day here in Sun Valley. The skiers will beat you with their poles if the lifties even think about letting you do it. 

Fill the chair. Don't make it matter where you are on the chair and deal with it. Especially in HBs it shouldn't matter where you sit. 

You really had to want to ski. Inspired by the crossbow, the only thing scarier than getting on the t-bar was getting off.

Haha, so true!  My daughter complained a bit about the magic carpet at the bunny hill.  I just bit my tongue.  

Back when getting up the hill was manly business. T-bars, two ropes, pommels. You really had to want to ski. Inspired by the crossbow, the only thing scarier than getting on the t-bar was getting off.

Ah, the good old days. Learner snowboarders on a rope tow ...

When I was a grom and just learning (ie could barely stand up) I went to Ohau skifield in NZ with a friend of mine. There was a learner rope tow at the bottom of the hill, and a T-bar that was the single lift out. I played on the bunny hill for a bit before he came and got me and suggested going up the T.

So we get on the T-bar. We got about fifteen feet up the hill before he (regular, loaded on the left) and I (goofy, loaded on the right) ran over each other and fell off in a tangle of boards and curse words.

So then I loaded by myself. Nobody told me this thing was 2.4km long, the longest rope tow in the southern hemisphere.  And after about a 17 minute ride to the top, my legs were so burned I couldn't ride back down for half an hour, and when I finally did I slid most of the way down on my face.

Good times. The upside is, that ever since that day T-bars don't worry me in the slightest. Even the one at Sun Peaks that does a 90 degree right turn on the hill and likes to eat snowboarders for lunch.

• Like 2

Allee, you left out the "Nutcracker" lifts.   Craigieburn had a gnarly one!!  Diesel powered with several transitions if I recall correctly.  I would guess it is long gone now a days. 

Ah, the good old days. Learner snowboarders on a rope tow ...

When I was a grom and just learning (ie could barely stand up) I went to Ohau skifield in NZ with a friend of mine. There was a learner rope tow at the bottom of the hill, and a T-bar that was the single lift out. I played on the bunny hill for a bit before he came and got me and suggested going up the T.

• Like 1

Tbar horror stories. Turner mt montana. Longest tbar on this side of the planet. Installed in 61, 2100 vert, the last bit black diamond above a cat rd that would lift you off your feet like a chair lift. No clipping in there.

Foot grip good, foot slip bad. 99.9 percent of the stomp pads out there are worthless with hardboots, big spikes or scraper blades are the only thing I use.

On a board without a pad I turn my foot toward duck and step on the center disc of the rear binder or up against the front foot.

+1 on bunny hill practise.

• Like 1