Note to New Members ×

Clicking in on the lift

Henry Hester

83 84 a two week opening for Sticks at Highlands on the midway Poma...first time I think I flew about 40 ft. to a Belly Flop  :nono:  then learned the Correct technique  :1luvu:  that was so fun to be able to Ride with a lift access, would sneak off to the sides going up for the Pow was just so inviting...then they closed, as Management thought Snowboards were from the Dark side  :eek: claimed Insurance reasons  :freak3:

Occasionally the Kids headed for the terrain parks buckle in on the lift here, in a hurry I guess  :cool:

1 ft. in, can be a problem at times, no matter who you are... :biggthump  

Edited by softbootsailer

I'm with the consensus here:  Never unload clicked in.  

I put my back hand on the chairlift seat to steady myself as I stand, and get my back foot on the board between the bindings, letting the lift push me the first couple of feet while I get balanced. Then I like to go straight until the other riders begin to peel away.   

I have trouble making a heelside (left for me) one-footed turn without sliding out - so there's still potential drama in those chairlift unloads.

===================

Speaking of T-bars, has anyone ever tried the one at the municipal hill (Hammarbybacken) in Stockholm?  The first 100 feet or so are on a very steep incline.  About a dozen consecutive failures induced frustration, rage and self loathing :angryfire until my understanding GF convinced me to relax my death grip and let it pull me up while using my legs to keep my board firmly on the "wall".     

I'm with the not clicked in crowd.  I'm also typically doing Bobby Buggs' thing in that I typically use dismounting and puttering around in the lift line as practice for balancing and riding on only my front foot.  I could never have done that in soft boots, but in hard boots its... doable.  

Now regarding the suckage of tbars and platter lifts...

I was riding in a small but really cool ski area called Raudalen a couple of weeks back and the only lift that was operating was a clapped out platter-lift (tallerkenheis).  The springs on most of the lifts were shot and had just enough tension to hold the lift contracted without a rider onboard.  However when attempting to start from the bottom the transition from standing still to full lift speed happened in a fraction of a second.  The take-off was pretty much that, everyone caught air every time they started from the bottom, or they crashed in front of everybody.  

I agree with darko714 that some of the worst lifts are the long and near vertical (it feels that way at least) ascents on t-bars.  The feeling of not being able to keep your back foot planted on the board (along with the sensation of your uphill hip joint sloooowly dislocating) is horrific.  And unlike LordMetroLand, for me getting off was always a relief and never a challenge.   

Edited by st_lupo

I was riding in a small but really cool ski area called Raudalen a couple of weeks back and the only lift that was operating was a clapped out platter-lift (tallerkenheis).

Strange coincidence that "tallerkenheis" is the proper medical term for the waves of nausea accompanying a direct groin shot from a spring-loaded object.

• Like 2

Hi Henry,

I used to have similar issues particularly on steep off load ramps and T-bars, something we have plenty of inda U.P.. Having once fractured my left ankle, it's not as strong or flexible as Jim's. I use a "spike" stomp pad directly under the heel, just like Bryan. I mount it close to the rear binding, then use a spiked stud or two for the toe. I then place the boot toe on the stud, and just land the heel on the pad. The result is a very stable and steerable rear foot. I've used skate board rails too and they also work well. All my boards are set up the same way so my method became repeatable, and comfortable, very quickly.

post-1106-0-26976600-1452700460_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-74931200-1452700600_thumb.jp

Edited by Algunderfoot

Hi Allee,

Yes you do have to hunt around abit, and be sure to use denatured alcohol, and a hair dryer to install them. I've found studs from One Ball Jay, Stomp, Dakine, and Burton, all metal. Check Amazon, ebay, and the discount gear sites. However I keep spares with me and resort to my own 3M industrial, all weather double sided tape when I have problems getting adhesion. I have just recently tried clear (harder) and colored (soft foam) skateboard rail / stomp pads and they work well and stick better. On my newer Virus, 14 cm wide deck, I have one on each edge, but the same technique applies.

Edited by Algunderfoot

I find I fall to my death when I try this.

this is one of my all time favourite responses in the forum.  made me literally laugh out loud.

this thread is a little hilarious to me because i know you all are way better snowboarders than me and yet we all go through the same issues.  that said, i find maneuvering in the single hard boot way easier than on the soft boots because the connection with the board is so firm.  

i find i have to read the people on the lift with me or talk to them anyways,  at one resort nearby all the lifts have options to go left and right and there are at times guys that will want to be ahead of everyone then cut across the lifts on the opposite side of where they were sitting (6 seat chairlifts!)

Funny I just noticed this thread, I was clicking in on the lift a couple times at Mt. Bachelor last Sunday.  I had to pull down the chair's safety bar in order to do this and it was just myself and my buddy on the quad.  Only because my bud asked me if I could do it .......  probably stoopid >.<

I use front foot angle of 66+ degrees, so maybe it's a bit easier. 

Peddle off the lift first, usually 1 or 2 peddles.

Tuck my rear foot in tightly to either the back of the front binding, or the front of the rear binding.

Get a situated to a completely vertical stance with just a bit of a knee bend, and look straight ahead.

Go straight till I'm out of the way and can safely put my rear foot down as either a rudder or a brake, or give a little edge (toe or heel) depending on which way you want to go.  

I don't look to either side, whether or not there are other riders. I find that "WHERE YOU LOOK, YOU GO".

I don't have stop pads, but that's because I'm too lazy to even look for one and it doesn't seem to matter.

Most importantly, "IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD", you can do it.

Rode three days and never clicked in as I have for 40 years. It was scary but the snow really wasn't icy. Half the time I peddled off the chair for 10-15' and then stepped on. A few times I spun out towards my toe. Never heel side back slammed. Maybe I've got this. Installing two back to back DaKine rubber pads on my new blacktop Donek. Such a kook.

this is one of my all time favourite responses in the forum.  made me literally laugh out loud.

this thread is a little hilarious to me because i know you all are way better snowboarders than me and yet we all go through the same issues.  that said, i find maneuvering in the single hard boot way easier than on the soft boots because the connection with the board is so firm.  

i find i have to read the people on the lift with me or talk to them anyways,  at one resort nearby all the lifts have options to go left and right and there are at times guys that will want to be ahead of everyone then cut across the lifts on the opposite side of where they were sitting (6 seat chairlifts!)

Better sit down;)

Rob rides a noboard (short, no bindings)

now that's funny(not rob, the fact he snuck in the noboard)

I like to wait till the chair puts me on my feet, all others are gone and it's easy to step-in and ride away.

Vt claims a state law says no clicking in, okemo enforces, sometimes stratton won't let you on a lift with a backpack, including camelback.

Edited by ursle

Another major item I forgot was my rear foot bias (surfing, snow and mostly skate). I happen to be a mongo pusher. We push with our front foot. For me to try to push a skateboard with my back foot (called "regular") I can't go 1 foot forward. A rear hip replacement affects this as well.

So when I'm exiting unclicked, I'm in an awkward "regular" position. Go out on your longskate or your kid's flip board and try to push with your other foot.

Henry

Another day. Another excuse

Skoggin' it! Since I never did slalom but I do a ton of LDP. When I get tired or am forced to push, I do all I can to switch up feet and to pump switch as well. Definitely not easy but fun to push your brain to do what feels un-natural. I'm a natural lefty forced right handed as a child and ambidexterity runs in our family so I do think I'm at an advantage. Henry, you are doing great!